• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ottis Gibson quits England for Windies role

shivfan

Banned
Well Fletcher has played 27 Fc matches and has one (100) and nine (50's) to his name, compared to Ramdin's 78 Fc matches with seven (100's) and fourteen (50's), looking at it if i was a betting man i'd say Fletcher's runs total will be better than Ramdin's by the time he gets to 78 Fc matches, also Mike you claimed we shouldn't consider any batsman that isn't in the top ten but Fletcher is so why shouldn't that be the main focus? he's got two matches to play too so he could very well find himself in the top three if his great form continues.
Of course Fletcher's to be considered, now that he's in the top ten....

But the crucial clincher missing from his resume is a ton. Especially if he wants to get into the WI side as a batsman.

Also, comparisons with Ramdin are flawed, because he's not keeping for the WIndwards. His glovework is so poor that the Windwards have given the gloves back to James. Fletcher is at best an ODI or 20/20 keeper.

bryce

International Regular
I was really excited about Fletcher when I saw him batting in all that Stanford ****, but when he got his promotion he looked horribly out of his depth. I'm confident he will be back and eventually make it at the top level but he needs to put on some big runs at domestic level before he can realistically even be considered for national selection atm

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Of course Fletcher's to be considered, now that he's in the top ten....

But the crucial clincher missing from his resume is a ton. Especially if he wants to get into the WI side as a batsman.

Also, comparisons with Ramdin are flawed, because he's not keeping for the WIndwards. His glovework is so poor that the Windwards have given the gloves back to James. Fletcher is at best an ODI or 20/20 keeper.
I haven't given up faith that he can make it work in the glove department, he might have had a few drops in his time but he wasn't that bad, i believe he can improve under Gibson in that area of his game. And for me i'm not really concerned about the 100's, if he makes two or three more 80's in his next four innings then that's good enough imo.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The only way he can improve as a gloveman is if he plays as one. There's no way anyone should be picked for international cricket as a first-choice wicketkeeper if he doesn't keep wicket for his domestic team. No way.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
TBH, the only serious contender to Ramdin is Baugh and that's because he makes runs at domestic level and actually keeps for his team. Walton needs to make runs consistently to have a chance.

As it stands: Walton >Baugh in keeping and Baugh> Walton with the bat. Everyone else is meh ATM.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Before this season Baugh hadn't done anything with the bat for a while IIRC. Really frustrating, like Geraint Jones, because at one point he looked a class bat. Walton looks hopeless against spin though, and it's amazing that he's done anything in domestic cricket given how well spinners do. Against Bangladesh he looked like a spin-and-out bunny. That said, he's not done much with the bat this season.

Safe gloveman though.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Well as everyone knows i'm quite clued up when it comes to the good youngsters coming through our ranks and other than Shane Dowrich the wicketkeeper to keep an eye on is a kid by the name of Jahmar Hamilton, he was playing for Anguilla when he was 16 and made his debut for Leeward Island when he was 17 in 2008, he just turned 19 and it looks like he's finally cemented his place in the side, he got his highest run total in his last match with 40 runs not out and seems to be a decent gloves man, hopefully he'll continue to improve.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Has he done naything of note for us to keep an eye out for him?
Who is "us" anyway? are you even a WI fan? 8-) i see a young 19 year old wicketkeeper who's doing well with the gloves and is starting to make runs too, if you don't think that's a good start for a rookie then fine, you can keep your eyes closed if you wish but i'll certainly be watching his progress.

Craig

World Traveller
Who is "us" anyway? are you even a WI fan? 8-) i see a young 19 year old wicketkeeper who's doing well with the gloves and is starting to make runs too, if you don't think that's a good start for a rookie then fine, you can keep your eyes closed if you wish but i'll certainly be watching his progress.
I'm not a West Indian fan. I'm a cricket fan first and foremost and I take an interest in all countries cricketers. Shock horror I know.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
I'm not a West Indian fan. I'm a cricket fan first and foremost and I take an interest in all countries cricketers. Shock horror I know.
If you're not a WI then it might just mean that i'm more clued up on the youngsters coming through then you are? therefore questioning every name i recommend is slightly futile.

shivfan

Banned
Recovery from injuries permitting, this is the team I would like to see Gibson field in the first ODI vs Zimbabwe....

1) Chris Gayle
2) Adrian Barath
3) Ronnie Sarwan
4) Shiv Chanderpaul
5) Darren Bravo
6) Kieron Pollard
7) Dwayne Bravo
8) Dwayne Smith
9) Denesh Ramdin
10) Suleimann Benn
11) Kemar Roach

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
If you're not a WI then it might just mean that i'm much, much, much, much, much, much, much more optimistic on the youngsters coming through then you are? questioning every name i recommend seems to be being done by everyone after all.
Fix'd.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
It's common on CW to interpret - via misquoting - something which would be more accurate posted as it was posted by the "fix'd" er than the original.
My original post wasn't aimed at you so one has to wonder why you needed to "fix it" in the first place?!!. :unsure: and why would your interpretation be "more accurate"? we're just expressing opinions not a facts Richard.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Essentially, I was expressing my opinion that while you might be more clued-up than some about WI players, you're also far, far too optimistic about them, and the younger they are, the more over-optimistic you are. I suspect most would agree with my opinion, so thus it's the right one.

As for the fact that it wasn't aimed at me I'm never fussed about that - this is a public forum, where any post can reply to any post. I'm not one for the idea that any posting is a private debate.