• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ottis Gibson quits England for Windies role

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
What is "what is right" if it's not what the majority consider it to be?

Things are only "right" because we've decided they are.

Craig

World Traveller
If you're not a WI then it might just mean that i'm more clued up on the youngsters coming through then you are? therefore questioning every name i recommend is slightly futile.
So in other words what you say is the gospel? I looked at the player in question and his record and it doesn't look that special. I would rather trust Mr Mxyzptlk when it comes to rating WI players. For you it is a case of 'he looks talented, I am right'. So go on then, tell me why I am so wrong about the lad? Put your money where your mouth is.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Essentially, I was expressing my opinion that while you might be more clued-up than some about WI players, you're also far, far too optimistic about them, and the younger they are, the more over-optimistic you are. I suspect most would agree with my opinion, so thus it's the right one.

As for the fact that it wasn't aimed at me I'm never fussed about that - this is a public forum, where any post can reply to any post. I'm not one for the idea that any posting is a private debate.
Yeah i have high hopes for our young players but when it comes to your comment regarding their age i'm afraid you're misguided, from Pollard who is 22 to Brathwaite who is 17 their age doesn't matter it's their talent i'm enthusiastic about, and you might "suspect" that your opinion is "right" but it still doesn't make it a fact Richard, which is why your "fix" wasn't as "accurate" as you've implied.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
So in other words what you say is the gospel? I looked at the player in question and his record and it doesn't look that special. I would rather trust Mr Mxyzptlk when it comes to rating WI players. For you it is a case of 'he looks talented, I am right'. So go on then, tell me why I am so wrong about the lad? Put your money where your mouth is.
Erm i merely said HE'S ONE TO KEEP AN EYE ON, do you know what that means? it's not confirming that he's gonna be a "superstar" or he's "ready for test cricket now" it's basically saying "he's 19 years old and is starting to do well", you talk about his record but did i claim it was anything special in my original post? erm NO, my point is i know more about WI youngsters then you therefore you running down my opinions on one when you hadn't even heard of said player before now is a little silly.

Craig

World Traveller
Erm i merely said HE'S ONE TO KEEP AN EYE ON, do you know what that means? it's not confirming that he's gonna be a "superstar" or he's "ready for test cricket now" it's basically saying "he's 19 years old and is starting to do well", you talk about his record but did i claim it was anything special in my original post? erm NO, my point is i know more about WI youngsters then you therefore you running down my opinions on one when you hadn't even heard of said player before now is a little silly.
My God you are an arrogant wanker.

I try and use a bit of critical thinking on why this player is one to watch out for, and because I dare question you, you get your knickers in a knot. I never implied that you said he should be called up into the Test team or anything yet.

Don't you patronise me pal.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
My God you are an arrogant wanker.

I try and use a bit of critical thinking on why this player is one to watch out for, and because I dare question you, you get your knickers in a knot. I never implied that you said he should be called up into the Test team or anything yet.

Don't you patronise me pal.
Don't even go there with the childish insults!! 8-), they won't get you anywhere, either address me properly or don't bother at all, lets remember it was YOU who was critical of my suggestion, so i don't know why you're surprised at my response, if you can't take the heat then don't contrive to disparage my posts on a subject i'm more familiar with than you are, i come here to talk about cricket, not indulge in petty personal attacks.

Btw the kid in question scored another 30 runs yesterday which means he's scored 30 or over in his last 3 or 4 innings, hence the reason why i said "he's getting better and WI fans should keep an eye on him", but oh no, if he hasn't scored a million runs as a wicketkeeper at the age of 19 then he's obviously "no good".

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
What is "what is right" if it's not what the majority consider it to be?

Things are only "right" because we've decided they are.
So Hayden > Hussain because the majority think it to be so? And the world was actually flat until the majority decided it was spherical? It's certainly a very interesting position for someone who challenges the majority so often to hold.

Something is right when it's actually right; not merely when most people believe it to be the case. We often don't have an absolute certainty as to what actually is indeed right in each case, but that doesn't mean we have to gravitate towards the majority and slap the label on it automatically.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
So Hayden > Hussain because the majority think it to be so? And the world was actually flat until the majority decided it was spherical? It's certainly a very interesting position for someone who challenges the majority so often to hold.

Something is right when it's actually right; not merely when most people believe it to be the case. We often don't have an absolute certainty as to what actually is indeed right in each case, but that doesn't mean we have to gravitate towards the majority and slap the label on it automatically.
Spot on Prince. :thumbup:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member

The world was only thought to be flat because that's the term we've created to describe it; now it's only thought to be spherical because that's the term we've created to describe it.

The way I look at it - the relativist POV - is that there is no incontrivertable truth out there: things are only what we make them. And when I say "we" I mean the majority of human-beings - no matter what you do, you will never, ever get universal assent.

If you believe that it is possible for there to be a "right" and "wrong", then it is what the majority say. If on the other hand you don't believe the majority can make something right or wrong, there can be no right or wrong - merely opinion.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
The world was only thought to be flat because that's the term we've created to describe it; now it's only thought to be spherical because that's the term we've created to describe it.

The way I look at it - the relativist POV - is that there is no incontrivertable truth out there: things are only what we make them. And when I say "we" I mean the majority of human-beings - no matter what you do, you will never, ever get universal assent.

If you believe that it is possible for there to be a "right" and "wrong", then it is what the majority say. If on the other hand you don't believe the majority can make something right or wrong, there can be no right or wrong - merely opinion.
I completely disagree with basically all of that. Wouldn't be amusing if the majority agreed with me on that front? :p

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
30 runs is nothing to be excited about TBH. Loads of players at that age can score that in FC.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
30 runs is nothing to be excited about TBH. Loads of players at that age can score that in FC.
He's done it about four times in a row though, and for a wicketkeeper who's also getting catches for his side i think that's a decent start to his FC career, he'll only get better with experience.

Craig

World Traveller
Don't even go there with the childish insults!! 8-), they won't get you anywhere, either address me properly or don't bother at all, lets remember it was YOU who was critical of my suggestion, so i don't know why you're surprised at my response, if you can't take the heat then don't contrive to disparage my posts on a subject i'm more familiar with than you are, i come here to talk about cricket, not indulge in petty personal attacks.

Btw the kid in question scored another 30 runs yesterday which means he's scored 30 or over in his last 3 or 4 innings, hence the reason why i said "he's getting better and WI fans should keep an eye on him", but oh no, if he hasn't scored a million runs as a wicketkeeper at the age of 19 then he's obviously "no good".
I have tried plenty of times to be reasonable. But your post that prompted my response was very patronising.

As in 'critical', I wasn't personally having a go at you, that was not my intention, you said he was a player to keep an eye out on, and I pushed (figure of speech) you to find out why that was the case. It was you who's tone got heated after my posts.

You know what, **** it, life is too short for this crap between you and me, so I will say I'm sorry and call a truce then? Sounds fair?

WindieWeathers

International Regular
I have tried plenty of times to be reasonable. But your post that prompted my response was very patronising.

As in 'critical', I wasn't personally having a go at you, that was not my intention, you said he was a player to keep an eye out on, and I pushed (figure of speech) you to find out why that was the case. It was you who's tone got heated after my posts.

You know what, **** it, life is too short for this crap between you and me, so I will say I'm sorry and call a truce then? Sounds fair?
No problem Craig, i can respect anyone who's big enough to apologise and i really didn't mean to sound patronising, i know i can sail close to the wind but i'm just passionate about WI cricket, we've had some decent debates before and i'm sure we'll have more in the future.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
He's done it about four times in a row though, and for a wicketkeeper who's also getting catches for his side i think that's a decent start to his FC career, he'll only get better with experience.
Most of that is fair enough (a "hopefully" in there would just about perfect it), I just wish you'd post this sort of thing more often rather than thinking people have shown they're ready or almost ready for a step-up to international by doing a teeny bit at domestic.

"Making an encouraging start" is different to "showing huge promise". Steve Camacho did the former; Gordon Greenidge did the latter. And, for that matter, Lawrence Rowe did the latter and Larry Gomes the former. Showing that one is not neccessarily a precursor to either an unfulfilled or fulfilled career.

shivfan

Banned
Windie, the team you want will be playing for the UWI vice-chancellor's XI on Saturday....
:cool:
University of West Indies Vice Chancellors XI to face Zimbabwe on February 26th:

Simon Jackson (captain)
Kraigg Brathwaite
Nekoli Parris
Kevin Stoute
Yannic Cariah
Anthony D' Anadrade
Shane Dowrich (wk)
Jamar Griffith
Jason Holder
Ruel Braithwaite
Delorn Johnson

Reserves:

Boris Hutchinson
Shervon Penco

Let's see how they do, and how many of them grasp at their opportunity to make a name for themselves, and stake a claim for the WI side....

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Windie, the team you want will be playing for the UWI vice-chancellor's XI on Saturday....
:cool:
University of West Indies Vice Chancellors XI to face Zimbabwe on February 26th:

Simon Jackson (captain)
Kraigg Brathwaite
Nekoli Parris
Kevin Stoute
Yannic Cariah
Anthony D' Anadrade
Shane Dowrich (wk)
Jamar Griffith
Jason Holder
Ruel Braithwaite
Delorn Johnson

Reserves:

Boris Hutchinson
Shervon Penco

Let's see how they do, and how many of them grasp at their opportunity to make a name for themselves, and stake a claim for the WI side....
Will the big selectors and coaches be watching them Mike? the name that sticks out to me apart from the obvious one's is the left arm pacer Delorn Johnson, i can't wait to see how he gets on, he was a promising bowler for the u19's two years ago and played alongside Barath, Darren Bravo and Kiaran Powell, but then it all went a little quiet for him until recently i heard he was playing for St. vincent and has been in very good form, i was shocked that he wasn't in the Windward's team this season but i guess he's got his big chance to impress now, i've got a feeling he'll do well, 6 foot 6 left arm pacers don't come along often for us :laugh: , he's only 21 so he can still get better..

Btw that's not actually the team i'd have chosen :cool: , the team of the future for me is..

Barath
Brathwaite
Powell
Darren Bravo
Corbin/Cariah
Fletcher/Dowrich
Pollard
Kantasingh/Khan
Stoll
Holder/Gabriel
Roach

Or something along those lines!!..

Last edited:

shivfan

Banned
I know....

I was jsut pulling your leg!
:laugh:
Hey, these topics would also make for interesting discussions on CMS.