• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

One unpicked player to play for your country

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Actually tbh at first I thought it was someone from my own country, and my mind actually turned to Bruce Martin (for ODIs anyway.)
My first thought was Bruce Martin. Possibly Graeme Aldridge could be considered unlucky not to have played at least once. His time has passed now though.

thierry henry

International Coach
My first thought was Bruce Martin. Possibly Graeme Aldridge could be considered unlucky not to have played at least once. His time has passed now though.
It's weird...he got picked as 12th man for NZ as a 19 year old who had done absolutely nothing.

He has actually delivered on that apparent promise by being the best OD spinner in the country by some margin, yet McCullum and Patel get picked ahead of him with inferior records (Patel inferior by miles, McCullum inferior by a bit). hmmmm. All 3 exactly the same age btw.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Tharanga Paranavithana, who is picked to open in Pakistan

Then, Sachithra Senanayake good enough to be picked by few test sides like SAF, AUS, WI or even ENG. Better than Benn, Hauritz, Harris or even Panesar

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, if by "huge crush on" you mean "constantly steal our best players so that we'll never, ever have any chance of playing test cricket".
you play more matches versus england for instance, your youth players are far more easily picked up by counties and not but least you get to play against counties in the 20/twentys and some other league :p

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
you play more matches versus england for instance, your youth players are far more easily picked up by counties and not but least you get to play against counties in the 20/twentys and some other league :p
But the cost of that is a strict limit on our development. The Netherlands could, with a generation of particularly talented cricketers, one day become a competitive nation that could compete in the world cup and even be a candidate for test matches. Ireland can't even dream of that, because their golden generation would be picked off by England.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Would probably take (with some bias) one of the Hampshire pair of Imran Tahir (as already mentioned) or Nick Pothas. Pothas has played a couple ODI's but no tests and think he would make at least half of the test sides.