• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Zimbabwe in New Zealand 2012

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Actually they're polar opposites, Astle gets turn but has less control and is aggressive whereas Nethula doesn't get spin, is tidy but defensive. I'd rather have the former. Plus he's a Cantab
At 25, Astle has played 49 first-class games (some in the early stages just as a batsman), with a useful record of 105 wickets at 34 per wicket. As wrist spinners go, he's not a big spinner of the ball, but he does have the leg spinner's toolkit of deliveries and has shown good control.EQUALLY, Tarun Nethula is in the frame for selection and also happens to bowl right-arm leg spin. He does give it a good rip and appears to have the Asian "gift of the wrist", but up to the end of last season, lacked control. I've heard his accuracy has improved and in the four games completed this season, his 16 wickets at 20 is a good sign.
Cricket | Best players not necessarily in Black... | Stuff.co.nz from glenn turner

have you seen them play?

irottev

U19 Cricketer
I saw Astle spinning it square in sky domestic matches last season. I'm yet to see Nethula spin it that much so that's what I'm going on. Turner is old and a **** selector anyway. Why believe anything he says

thierry henry

International Coach
Explain why he isn't spinning it today and the crap Zimbabweans and Nicol can
Don't know. You tell me. I'm not saying he's gun, just saying I know he can spin it sharply because I've been 22 yards from a raw 16 year old Nethula doing just that. Imagine he's improved since tbh.

Flametree

International 12th Man
Who were the commentators? Waddle's normally fairly clued-up on player names.
Alan Mac. Wadds is fine with the names.

As Flem noted, he's given us a "Chigumbavka" and a "Chagumba" since the one-time Zimbabwe skipper came out to bat.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Waiting for Tarun's last over then I will make a post.

Edit - that looks like it for him - 9 overs none for 46

Next time he bowls he needs to show that he can turn it - honestly a better team might have scored 6 or 7 over against those darts. Maybe it was the pitch - but Nicol seemed to tweak it more on occassion.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
Who honestly expected a debuting leg spinner to treat an ODI like a test match?

He bowled darts because it's what he thinks will be most effective for him in ODIs ffs.