• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Yorkshire CCC racism crisis thread

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Anyway there's nothing wrong with acknowledging that there are physiological traits that tend to vary at different levels between different races, denying that would be incredibly ignorant. We even make medical decisions based on race quite often due to differences in enzyme production and certain alleles that are orders of magnitude more common in certain races. These aren't social constructs lol.

It's an issue when you start judging or pigeon-holing people based on their race, eg "he's black we should encourage him to play basketball"

cnerd123

likes this
Philippines is home to 111 million people

Basketball is one of the most popular sports in that country and it is more popular there than virtually anywhere else other than the USA

The Philippines has produced 2 nba players in history

Philippinos are the 5th shortest people on the planet

Do the math
Quite a jump from 'genetic difference between races exist' to 'genetic differences are why there are barely any Filipinos in the NBA'. I'd like to see your working please thanks.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
social not knowing about Yao Ming is alarming.

Look, we're all human beings. That's my only contention. social and LineandLength would have you believe there's an inherent caste system built into us. I'm against that line of thought.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Look, we're all human beings. That's my only contention. social and LineandLength would have you believe there's an inherent caste system built into us. I'm against that line of thought.
Except for the clear line between those who do and don't eat meat...

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Anyway there's nothing wrong with acknowledging that there are physiological traits that tend to vary at different levels between different races, denying that would be incredibly ignorant. We even make medical decisions based on race quite often due to differences in enzyme production and certain alleles that are orders of magnitude more common in certain races. These aren't social constructs lol.
Just as a matter (something I've only found out recently) but 'race' as a empirical medical evaluation is considered very poor, and has been fought against for many years as something that should and can be measured against within the research medical profession. But as always its never quite as simple as that.

social

Quite a jump from 'genetic difference between races exist' to 'genetic differences are why there are barely any Filipinos in the NBA'. I'd like to see your working please thanks.
Genetic differences exist

Where have I said anything different?

Hardly groundbreaking stuff

social

social not knowing about Yao Ming is alarming.

“not knowing” lol

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Just as a matter (something I've only found out recently) but 'race' as a empirical medical evaluation is considered very poor, and has been fought against for many years as something that should and can be measured against within the research medical profession. But as always its never quite as simple as that.

Individualised medicine (if it ever happens) will change any utility of race-based medical interventions regardless. Until every person's genome is mapped it still potentially has use in very niche circumstances.

I get there are social aspects of this but refusing to acknowledge something that could potentially save lives because "distinguishing between races in any way because racism bad" doesn't sit right with me

grecian

Isn't Afro-American as sprinters, just silly, because a lot of the good sports people of African descent nothing to do with America?

Oh, on Vaughan, not a one-off comment, a pattern, all in the same vein. Oh and the denial, 4 against 1 I think.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I get there are social aspects of this but refusing to acknowledge something that could potentially save lives because "distinguishing between races in any way because racism bad" doesn't sit right with me
That's not what is really being said (I don't know if you read that link), but the genetic distinction between 'races' as currently classified is very weak. Thus much of the links between the 'race' and medicine does not stand up to scrutiny, and is rather a by product of the methods used. That does not mean you ignore what has been done, or ignore race altogether.