• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** World XI v Asia XI

shaka

International Regular
MacGill would not mind that though, it would mean he gets more internationals under his belt.

Bookie

U19 12th Man
Seeing the second match to be held in Kolkata on Feb 13, won't this affect the English and South Africans yet again, as it is clashing with the 7th ODI of the series, or will the likes of Flintoff/Kallis/Pollock/Harmison just go ot Kolkata to join the World side..

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Bookie said:
Seeing the second match to be held in Kolkata on Feb 13, won't this affect the English and South Africans yet again, as it is clashing with the 7th ODI of the series, or will the likes of Flintoff/Kallis/Pollock/Harmison just go ot Kolkata to join the World side..
Flintoff won't be there either way - he's going straight home for an operation.

Craig

World Traveller
I have a new nickname for Flintoff - Sicknote!

(Honestly I have lost count of the amount of injuries he has picked up in the 12 - 18 months).

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Craig said:

(Honestly I have lost count of the amount of injuries he has picked up in the 12 - 18 months).
So what? He's played through the injuries and still been a star player. That's the sign of a real competitor.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I think the Calcutta match is called off/postponed atleast till India's tour of Pakistan. Can some one verify this please? Very saddening.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Pratyush said:
I think the Calcutta match is called off/postponed atleast till India's tour of Pakistan. Can some one verify this please? Very saddening.
Certainly looks that way, I believe it has been postponed until April. The trouble was simply overcrowding player schedules. In April I believe most of the cricketing world will be free (if not all of it), so it's a better time to have it.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah its for the best. I was actually pleased to see that. Maybe Sachin will be available by then, we'll have to see. Flintoff should be too I guess.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
I think Postponing was not a good idea, because the intention was to play others who didn't play in the first one,ie England and SA players as well as Pakistan and West Indian players.

Indian players wouldn't have found it hard to be involved in one game, in the middle of their schedule.

In fact most players would have been available. I don't think the Aussies or NZ players would need to be involved in that World eleven since they have already made their contribution in more than one way, and the purpose of this game is fund raising not to raise profiles of some of these players !

I don't see the point of postponing for the sake of some players or countries.

To me the most important thing is to raise funds when the memory of the Tsunami is still fresh and sponsors and contributors are readily forth coming than when the Tsunami is long forgotten and the ability to raise funds would be diminished !!

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Yes more sponsors and money can be raised when the memory is fresh. Also more immediate need of money is warranted. This is why the first match was so quickly arranged. Its stupid to delay a match for such a cause.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Craig said:

Flintoff better get used to it to. Its just the reality of being a international allrounder these days. The demands on the body are very high. Just ask Chris Cairns. I wouldn't even try to count the no of injuries Cairns has had over the years.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
Certainly looks that way, I believe it has been postponed until April. The trouble was simply overcrowding player schedules. In April I believe most of the cricketing world will be free (if not all of it), so it's a better time to have it.
The English season starts in April.

Hero_Don

School Boy/Girl Captain
Since there are so many posts in the topic I cbf going back and checking, but when is the next match being played?

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Hero_Don said:
Since there are so many posts in the topic I cbf going back and checking, but when is the next match being played?
Here's the latest from Cricinfo website, Its been cancelled. What a disaster !!

Those poor people who could've benefitted from the funds raised have been disappointed by the bungling by ICC and Dalmaiya . :@ :@

If Calcutta was hot, surely could it not be organised some where else. Like Sharjah or Colombo even. What a load of bull !! :@

Here's the news item -

World Cricket Tsunami Appeal 2005

Second tsunami match cancelled

Cricinfo staff

February 28, 2005

The second tsunami fundraising match between the World and Asian XIs, which was scheduled for Calcutta in April, has been cancelled. Jagmohan Dalmiya, the Asian Cricket Council president, said the weather would be too hot for the match, which was already postponed from February 13 because too many top-level players were unavailable.

"Due to the heat in second half of April, the tsunami match cannot be held," Dalmiya told Press Trust of India. Following the success of the first match at Melbourne, which raised $14m (US$11m) for victims of the Boxing Day tsunami, the ACC was due to organise another game to continue to aid the rebuilding process.

The crowded playing schedules of international teams had also made it too difficult to arrange the match. "We were all geared up and ready to go," Syed Ashraful Huq, the ACC chief executive, told the Weekend Australian. "We had sponsors in place but were forced to push the match back because of the overworked players, who wanted it later in April."

© Cricinfo