• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* West Indies Tour of England 2020

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
i don't think the windies are going to just dig up a couple of high quality batsmen. domestic leagues where averaging 30 is an achievement isn't the breeding ground for world class batsmen, and tends to turn good prospects into jermaine blackwood speculative dashers who want to score as many as they can before the grenade arrives with their name on it.

they need to sort out their domestic decks before the batting will make sustainable improvement imo.
Yeah bar maybe Campbell I feel like the WIndian batsmen would all be better players for another country. Though in saying that I'm not sure that we can blame "**** domestic pitches" on Brathwaite's and Bravo's regression.

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
i don't think the windies are going to just dig up a couple of high quality batsmen. domestic leagues where averaging 30 is an achievement isn't the breeding ground for world class batsmen, and tends to turn good prospects into jermaine blackwood speculative dashers who want to score as many as they can before the grenade arrives with their name on it.

they need to sort out their domestic decks before the batting will make sustainable improvement imo.
The pitches this year were on the whole a lot better with a number of people averaging 40 or over against some high quality pace bowling and very decent spin from Cornwall and Permaul. If they keep that up we should start to see some come through. Joshua De Silva seems the most likely at the moment given that the likes of Keacy Carty are still struggling to get big runs. Keegan Simmons from T & T also looks good.

Flem274*

123/5
The pitches this year were on the whole a lot better with a number of people averaging 40 or over against some high quality pace bowling and very decent spin from Cornwall and Permaul. If they keep that up we should start to see some come through. Joshua De Silva seems the most likely at the moment given that the likes of Keacy Carty are still struggling to get big runs. Keegan Simmons from T & T also looks good.
that's good to hear, i just hope curators hold their nerve when someone with zero technique swings their way to a massive average on hand-eye alone. it takes several seasons for everyone to adjust to a new pitch trend.

Beamer

that's good to hear, i just hope curators hold their nerve when someone with zero technique swings their way to a massive average on hand-eye alone. it takes several seasons for everyone to adjust to a new pitch trend.
Yeah you have been through a similar process in NZ right? We will always have some spin friendly pitches (Guyana for example) but on the whole they are a lot better and as it has been a concerted effort and strategy I think they will stick to it.

I should also have mentioned Brandon King, for whom I have high hopes. I disagree with them playing him in ODI's and T20's when his best format is 4 day. All this limited overs stuff is making him stay legside of the ball and I don;t like it.

Beamer

Let?s not forget Kyle Mayers, the best left handed batsman we have in the region.
Fair. Basically, as it stands I think the most likely candidates are Joshua Da Silva, Kyle Mayers, Brandon King and Keegan Simmons. Nicholas Pooran obviously also if he really wants to play long form cricket.

I don't see much else on the horizon otherwise at this moment but you never know. We just need to to continue our longer FC season and play lots of A tours so we can develop them.

morgieb

Yeah, stats wise 8 guys scored 400+ runs with averages over 40 (though a lot of them are older guys with previously meh careers), whereas this time "only" 4 of the Top 10 wicket-takers were spinners - with one of them averaging over 30 and two of them being the afformentioned Cornwall and Permaul. TBH Permaul was a bit of a stock standard spinner who needs good conditions to thrive but averaging 12 goes beyond that and you seemed complimentary of his work to suggest it wasn't just pitches.

Beamer

Yeah, stats wise 8 guys scored 400+ runs with averages over 40 (though a lot of them are older guys with previously meh careers), whereas this time "only" 4 of the Top 10 wicket-takers were spinners - with one of them averaging over 30 and two of them being the afformentioned Cornwall and Permaul. TBH Permaul was a bit of a stock standard spinner who needs good conditions to thrive but averaging 12 goes beyond that and you seemed complimentary of his work to suggest it wasn't just pitches.
Yeah I watched a fair amount and he was beating both the outside and inside edges. He's a much improved bowler and it is a travesty that Warrican is there ahead of him tbh. Definitely Bajanism at work!

SillyCowCorner1

RE: Permaul

This season he?s shown to add more variety to his game, he was flighting the ball more, his arm ball was even more lethal, his lines and lengths were immaculate. Definitely the best version of Permaul I have ever seen.

Beamer

RE: Permaul

This season he?s shown to add more variety to his game, he was flighting the ball more, his arm ball was even more lethal, his lines and lengths were immaculate. Definitely the best version of Permaul I have ever seen.
In all seriousness, what is your take on Warrican being there instead of him? Is it is one of those moments where you think Warrican's passport has really helped him out?

Gremlin

U19 Vice-Captain
Silverwood has stated that Jos Buttler's place is safe. I think most pundits are giving him the series, I think most punters on here aren't.

On the BBS selector thing I went with three "okes" partly for the lols but mainly as I think it is the correct selection moving forward.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
That's really weak from Silverwood. Buttler is such a precious commodity in ODI's and T20s that the longer he plays test cricket, the more I think it's going to adversely effect his limited overs batting. Let him play some stuff for Lancs later in the summer

From a Guardian article
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/jul/13/england-to-keep-faith-in-jos-buttler-while-ben-foakes-waits-in-the-wings"Asked why Buttler is so dominant in ODI cricket, where he has made nine centuries, yet seemingly weighed down in Test cricket"

Find this a weird angle for a journalist to take. They're two completely different forms of the game, and being a gun in one form isn't by any means a prerequisite for success in the other.

Howe_zat

Audio File

As you can see, the CW Former's No Changes League has acquired some non-forumers who are already engaging in changes! Some people. I've no sympathy at all and hope they remain on the bottom.

Anyone know who Stephanie is? Particularly pertninent as excluding her team means I'd be winning.

Flem274*

123/5
should you be posting a pile of real names on the main forum like that? (i have nfi how public that list is/was before you posted)