• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*** Official *** West Indies in South Africa 2014/15

ImpatientLime

International Regular
I'm lucky enough to talk to key members of the wicb every now and then and the problem has always been funding mate...the 4-day comp hasn't had a sponsor for years so they are paying for it off their own back. This new professional league finally means our players are playing a similar amount of first class games per year as the Aussies, Kiwis etc. The next step is introducing a reserve league for the u19s and experienced first class players who haven't got a contract in the PCL so they can continue to develop and play cricket.

Yes it's very frustrating that the best players aren't playing in it but tbh it's giving some great young talent like Hetmyer, Pooran, Shai Hope, Azarri Joseph, Hosein etc a chance to play so i'm ok with it tbh.

Anyway back to the test...well once again we've avoided a whitewash!!!..that means in a three test series we haven't been whitewashed since 2008 or something like that...we're the only side ironically along with SA to hold that record..but hey we're minnows :D .
haha everytime

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
I'm lucky enough to talk to key members of the wicb every now and then and the problem has always been funding mate...the 4-day comp hasn't had a sponsor for years so they are paying for it off their own back. This new professional league finally means our players are playing a similar amount of first class games per year as the Aussies, Kiwis etc. The next step is introducing a reserve league for the u19s and experienced first class players who haven't got a contract in the PCL so they can continue to develop and play cricket.

Yes it's very frustrating that the best players aren't playing in it but tbh it's giving some great young talent like Hetmyer, Pooran, Shai Hope, Azarri Joseph, Hosein etc a chance to play so i'm ok with it tbh.

Anyway back to the test...well once again we've avoided a whitewash!!!..that means in a three test series we haven't been whitewashed since 2008 or something like that...we're the only side ironically along with SA to hold that record..but hey we're minnows :D .
Is there any reason for the senior players not participating?

Or they just can't be bothered

SeamUp

International Coach
Harmer in for the 3rd test.
About time, Jan.

Think we have 3 very good young test prospects for finger-spinners in Piedt, Harmer & Linde.

Think we should all realize just how hard an art leg-spin bowling is and the fact that someone is a wrist spinner shouldn't automatically get people excited - they have to be able to product the results at the highest level. The era of Kumble, Warne, Mushtaq, Adams & MacGill can be taken for granted.

Backer to Harmer, has often carried the Warriors 4-day attack, especially if Parnell doesn't play so hasn't had the opportunity someone like Piedt has had with the extra pressure of a decent seam attack supporting him. Can hold a bat and has some very good hands that could see him go straight into the slip cordon if given the opportunity.

https://soundcloud.com/primediabroadcasting/simon-harmer

Last edited:

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Is there any reason for the senior players not participating?

Or they just can't be bothered
Well as we're seeing half of them are on tour and then we have other players with "personal issues" i.e Darren Bravo, Powell, Narine and some are injured like Kirk Edwards...it's just unlucky tbh.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Well as we're seeing half of them are on tour and then we have other players with "personal issues" i.e Darren Bravo, Powell, Narine and some are injured like Kirk Edwards...it's just unlucky tbh.
Before the tour I thought many hadn't played much. Could be wrong though.

Its a tough situation re money. They need to start winning matches in order to attract sponsorship dollars. Everyone wants to be associated with success. Except they need the money in the first place to establish training facilities.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The problem with Windies cricket is a lot of the good cricket fans have migrated to mainland Americas.

dogwalker

U19 Captain
The Windies' decline has been a long time coming. Even with Lara, Ambrose, Walsh they were no good in SA. But its not exclusive to them, SA and Sri Lanka will be gone soon, and there will be endless ODIs between the big 3.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
On a more serious note, having a mentally fit Bravo would add a great deal to the side. So would Narine. But they desperately need a decent third pace bowler. Otherwise they will be India with worse batting.