• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* West Indies in New Zealand - Nov/Dec 2020

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
Yeah, if NZ want to maximise their chances of winning 2-0, they really should prepare two good batting decks - will neutralise WI's excellent bowlers to an extent, and NZ's bowlers should back themselves to get enough swing to take 20 wickets even on relatively flat pitches.
I'd agree with that. Can't see how we would win on two good decks and our batting is not good or disciplined enough to bat time and pile on the runs.

Enjoying this opening stand though, even if the highlights show a lot of edges over the slips !

Beamer

Campbell inside edges Tickner onto his stumps. 111/1

Pretty standard Campbell stuff. When he does get a start he generally gives it away anyway.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
WI have to be very happy with this hit-out for their top three.

Was a good chance for Tickner and Sears to impress, but they've been smashed at 4.7 and 5 per over respectively.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Haha, Sears was not happy with the absence of a second slip there. Can't really complain when the score is 200/1 though.

Flem274*

123/5
WI have to be very happy with this hit-out for their top three.

Was a good chance for Tickner and Sears to impress, but they've been smashed at 4.7 and 5 per over respectively.
this trio love a hard deck and they look completely unable to adjust to this pitch. rae and tickner consigning themselves to the mid-tier of test hopefuls here.

Mike5181

International Captain
I guess he's been around a while now but Braithwaite's first-class record is surprisingly beefy. 160 games, 10k+ runs. Pretty solid effort and only a thousand or so behind Williamson who's a couple years older, 1500 behind Taylor.

nzfan

With the new ball our guys bowled way too short. Tickner, Sears and Rae are hit the deck sort of bowlers. Don't think they try and swing the ball. First 10 overs are very crucial on such decks and they needed to find some swing, get the batsman playing on the front foot lots more. Some those that went in the direction off the slips were pitched up.

Not sure if WI should be playing as many shots early on in the test matches. If they have to score reasonable runs on the board they'll likely need to curb the instinct to attack wee bit early on.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Since when does Brathwaite bat at an SR of 70
I saw the card when he was striking at eighty and couldn't help but be amused it was coming from one of the stodgiest batsman in tests at the moment.

WI better be careful to not use up their runs stockpile here.

Last edited:

Beamer

Could not really have asked for more in terms of warm up batting. Our two most experienced batsmen both have lots of runs under their belt now.

Campbell was very loose and got away with at least 3 shots in those first 10 overs, so that is a worry. Otherwise, we need Blackwood and Dowrich to get some time out in the middle and we'll be as well prepared as we could be.

The bowling will be interesting on what looks like a road. It's basically a bowl off for the 3rd seamer role between Alzarri and Chemar. I can't see them bringing Keemo in for that slot given he hasn't played any 4 day cricket for ages. I'm not 100% sure Rakheem will play in the test given the record of spinners in NZ either, but if he does a decent holding job here it will stand him in good stead.

Flem274*

123/5
pre-xmas nz is one of the few places it's perfectly fine for you to play chase and 4 quicks. it's not going to turn a millimetre unless the pitch has been loaded to do so by the curator.

Beamer

pre-xmas nz is one of the few places it's perfectly fine for you to play chase and 4 quicks. it's not going to turn a millimetre unless the pitch has been loaded to do so by the curator.
My thoughts exactly! I'm pretty settled on this lineup:

Braithwaite
Campbell
Bravo
Brooks
Chase
Blackwood
Dowrich
J Holder
Joseph/C Holder
Roach
Gabriel

Beamer

I refuse to believe that Kraigg is this good at this particular juncture in his career
It was an absolute road and from what I can see they bowled a lot of medium paced loose deliveries either on his legs or wide outside off stump. Basically Kraigg's idea of batting heaven.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
This is from the RossTaylorSchool of making sure the batsman performs terribly after being allowed a feast on a platter

vandem

International 12th Man
... I can't see them bringing Keemo in for that slot given he hasn't played any 4 day cricket for ages...
Keemo Paul is heading off to Aussie BBL:

" Paul [...] is already in New Zealand and like Nicholas Pooran, will not have to quarantine on arrival in Australia due to a travel arrangement between the two countries. "

Beamer

Keemo Paul is heading off to Aussie BBL:

" Paul [...] is already in New Zealand and like Nicholas Pooran, will not have to quarantine on arrival in Australia due to a travel arrangement between the two countries. "

Yep after the test series, same as Pooran who will play a couple of 4 day matches for Windies A first.

nzfan

Looks like the Queenstown pitch is a used one. There were some balls that turned and bounced from spinners. Admittedly pretty much from Ravindra but there'll be a role for spinners for the rest of the days of the match so Cornwall will have a role to play yet. The pitch will also keep low from day 3 no doubt. I expect the pitch to behave like a 4th day pitch from today with some turn and variable bounce.

Seddon Park will behave likewise IMO. The two games at Queenstown are valuable for WI.

For now though interest moves on to T20. Not a huge fan of T20 but looking forward to seeing WI play some good cricket and I'm sure they will. The ranking means nothing and WI is a very good T20 unit. They'll be handful and our side is a bit light in T20s I reckon.