• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* West Indies in New Zealand - Nov/Dec 2020

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
I'm not so much a fan of stats, they are irrelevant and not necessirrily based on current form but just showing off my access to cricket archive 8-)Interesting stats though, most wickets for Santner has come at Seddon Park. I don't think he's judged based on his bowling in NZ but in places like India, Australia and Sri Lanka he was just not able to get break throughs. It's not even wickets but he wasn't creating even half chances which is a problem and shows he can't beat batters in the flight or puts enough side or top spin.

1606280212517.png
1606280254537.png
1606280705163.png

Moss

Very typical (read: conservative) squad selections - I think Santner's century against England last year still has the selectors excited. Pity about Somerville as he hasn't been given a single home test to date. Mitchell seems decent enough with the bat but doesn't look likely to do the same fifth-bowler's job (to the same standards) as CdG - I guess 4 man pace attack plus Mitchell would be the most likely selection.

Would be great if they handed Young a spot in the top 6 and Williamson assumed 5th bowling duties, but won't happen.

Beamer

We will cause some problems to your batting line up for sure, we have done to every test side we have faced recently. We just won't score enough runs collectively to compete, at least I don't think we will.

Our best chance is to carry on our recent trend of winning one away test each series by bowling out the opposition with outstanding pace bowling and then one or two individuals playing excellent innings (e.g Blackwood 90 odd under pressure to win the test against England). Collectively, the batting unit is not good enough to consistently score runs full stop, let alone against Boult, Southee and Wagner.

Moss

Possibly an unpopular opinion here - if Taylor were to quit test cricket very soon and focus entirely on limited overs, it would be a good thing for NZ. Looked up his test stats from the last 5 years to the day, the split is: HOME - 1219 runs @53 from 19 tests, AWAY - 898@35.92 from 16 tests.

That away record includes 364 runs vs Zimbabwe without being dismissed, if you take those out it becomes 534@21.36 from 14 tests in India, Australia, UAE, Sri Lanka and South Africa. (This 5 year period juuust misses his 290 at Perth - very convenient I know, but also sufficiently in the past I guess?)

Taylor's always been a beast at home, and will probably play some innings in this series and the Pakistan one which will make us thankful he's still around. Based on the above, he clearly hasn't made much impact on the tougher tours and at his age don't know if that will change. I keep wondering if *this* isn't the right time to be bringing in Young or Conway (both nearing 30) into the XI, get either of them accustomed to test cricket before the next away tours come along - and it's likely one of them will get Taylor's spot eventually.

Anyhoo, for now bring on the Windies.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Maybe unpopular but I agree with it. The way he's going at it at the moment, I can see a few 30 off 20s happening but I'm not sure his body will allow him to be out there for 5 days and bat for long periods much anymore. But you can't cut off a great of his ilk before he decides it's time.

He's just said that the 2023 ODI World Cup is 'definitely on the radar'. I'd suggest that means he's considering Test retirement this summer, because there's zero chance he can get there playing all 3 formats. And he'd feel comfortable going with a couple of guys coming behind him with genuine ability.

Flem274*

123/5
yea, this summer and it's time. given he was our top six between 2008-2013 (home and away) id hate to see a prolonged decline and for that average to plummet. vain yes, but he deserves to keep it healthy after all the times he's come in at 2/10.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
We will cause some problems to your batting line up for sure, we have done to every test side we have faced recently. We just won't score enough runs collectively to compete, at least I don't think we will.

Our best chance is to carry on our recent trend of winning one away test each series by bowling out the opposition with outstanding pace bowling and then one or two individuals playing excellent innings (e.g Blackwood 90 odd under pressure to win the test against England). Collectively, the batting unit is not good enough to consistently score runs full stop, let alone against Boult, Southee and Wagner.
Yeah, if NZ want to maximise their chances of winning 2-0, they really should prepare two good batting decks - will neutralise WI's excellent bowlers to an extent, and NZ's bowlers should back themselves to get enough swing to take 20 wickets even on relatively flat pitches.

nzfan

Nah Taylor should carry on playing test matches. Black Caps barely play test matches here and there anyways so it won't take a toll on him. It's not just the runs he brings to the team, the experience is something that can't be replaced. He'll be of great value for the team in general. Good sounding board for Kane as well.

Both Young and Conway are very good players and in the form of their life but international cricket is a different beast. God forbid if Kane has an injury or runs into bad form we will be left clutching. The test team is looking good now but things can change rapidly if the incumbents take time to settle. In such circumstances having Taylor still playing is a massive insurance.

If there's a format Taylor can give up that should be T20Is. Don't quite see much point in playing T20Is. I'm not so sure if he can pull up till 2023 for the one day world cup. He's generally match fit and barely misses a game so won't put past him to be able to play for another couple of years. This man deserves to call it off when he likes. If he likes to play till 39 and in all format so be it.

nzfan

Proper first class game today NZ A v WI.

WI Side as close to the test match as possible I'm guessing
  • KC Brathwaite
  • JD Campbell
  • DM Bravo*
  • Jermaine Blackwood
  • SSJ Brooks
  • SO Dowrich†
  • RRS Cornwall
  • AS Joseph
  • CK Holder
  • RA Reifer
  • JO Holder

NZ Side, obviously Nicholls, Conway move on from NZ A. Would have liked to see Blundell get a hit but I guess he's off preparing for the test match. Looking forward to seeing Ben Sears bowling heat. Some very deserving candidates in the batting line up, Cooper, Carter and McClure. I wish they rotated the players a bit more. Great opportunity to see who offers what and how they cope. A game vs WI and a game vs Pakistan for NZ A should be set out for each player IMO. No point just playing the same XI through out. Duffy and Smith have been released. So is Rippon. I'm guessing few players from this game are released for next round of Ford trophy and the ones sitting out this game are played in the next. Otherwise we'll have players missing out on more than half of Ford trophy games and that's not good for domestic cricket.
  • R Ravindra
  • HR Cooper
  • WA Young
  • JF Carter
  • KJ McClure
  • CE McConchie*
  • D Cleaver†
  • SM Solia
  • BV Sears
  • BM Tickner
  • MD Rae

Flem274*

123/5
i don't think 4-6 will ever be test cricketers and our bowling is thin. solia is a batting allrounder. that's a lot of responsibility for tickner, rae and sears.

nzfan

i don't think 4-6 will ever be test cricketers and our bowling is thin. solia is a batting allrounder. that's a lot of responsibility for tickner, rae and sears.
Hopefully Ravindra gets a reasonable amount of overs to bowl then. At the most he bowls like 2-3 overs spells for firebirds.

vandem

International 12th Man
Ravindra is a reasonable 5th bowler. Unless his captain in this team also rates his own part-time off-spin higher ....

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
This match should be good to follow, unlike the last one which was a 13-a-side warm up.

I have always like Tickner's bowling action, but looks like he's started by spraying the ball around as he is wont to do. Has been compared many times to Jamieson due to his height and would usually be higher on the speed gun, but Jamieson far more accurate and far better stats. Tickner and his hairdo reminiscent of SonOfCoco's avatar and wonder if there's a similarly bird brained approach - Jamieson gives the impression of having more up top.

Rae a handy domestic bowler but don't see him as a potential NZ player. Overall this A side seems to have ended up light on people who are genuine NZ prospects.

WI's start keeps getting better. 40/0 off 7!

nzfan

Of all the fast bowlers on display for NZ A, Sears is a sure shot for BCs. It doesn't matter how he goes this game he'll definitely challenge the existing BC bowlers as long as he can ward off any injuries.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Anyone know why fringe NZ players like Ferguson, Philips, Seifert & Neesham aren't in the A side? All were coming back from IPL but I imagine quarantine would've finished by now, as it has for WI players.

nzfan

The very first ball was a bumper to Campbell and he was surprised at the pace he was laughing 8-)

nzfan

Anyone know why fringe NZ players like Ferguson, Philips, Seifert & Neesham aren't in the A side? All were coming back from IPL but I imagine quarantine would've finished by now, as it has for WI players.
All of these but for Ferguson is in the T20I squad.

nzfan

The WI openers are just bazing away, playing shot a ball. The pitch looks fine so far. Fairly consistent bounce and looks like its coming on to the bat nicely.