• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* West Indies in New Zealand - Nov/Dec 2020

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
It’s his choice. Since his mentor is Pollard I think he’ll go the white ball way. Someone needs to sit with him and talk to him about the importance of test cricket...hope it’s the Prince.
He says publicly he is interested in test cricket. I just wish they'd be honest.

Meanwhile, I really don't like the tone of this article and quote. They haven't left the facility and yet they're threatening to make them quarantine longer? If that happens they should just come home.

I'm annoyed that they breached the rules they signed up to but this rhetoric is a joke.

Article here

vandem

International 12th Man
... Meanwhile, I really don't like the tone of this article and quote. They haven't left the facility and yet they're threatening to make them quarantine longer? If that happens they should just come home.

I'm annoyed that they breached the rules they signed up to but this rhetoric is a joke.

Article here
It is not a joke.

There is a reason NZ has only had 25 Covid19 deaths and it starts with strong border security and quarantine measures (14 days at a quarantine facility, no mixing, tests at day 3 and day 14).

Quarantine restrictions were eased for WI cricket team to allow them to train in small groups from day 4 onwards. How hard would it been for them to follow the relaxed rules?

Now they are required to follow the standard quarantine procedures that (almost) all incoming visitors and returning NZers must follow.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
NZA squad for the two November matches:

NEW ZEALAND A

Dane Cleaver (w) — Central Stags

Blair Tickner — Central Stags

Will Young — Central Stags

Joe Carter — Northern Districts

Devon Conway — Wellington Firebirds

Henry Cooper — Northern Districts

Jacob Duffy — Otago Volts

Ken McClure — Canterbury

Cole McConchie (captain) — Canterbury

Henry Nicholls — Canterbury

Michael Rae — Otago Volts

Rachin Ravindra — Wellington Firebirds

Michael Rippon (Otago Volts)

Ben Sears — Wellington Firebirds

Sean Solia — Auckland Aces

Nathan Smith — Otago Volts

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Both games in Queenstown. There are never any reverse-cupped rockets down there, so Ben Sears fans will be out of luck.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
He says publicly he is interested in test cricket. I just wish they'd be honest.

Meanwhile, I really don't like the tone of this article and quote. They haven't left the facility and yet they're threatening to make them quarantine longer? If that happens they should just come home.

Article here
In defence of Ashley Bloomfield and the Ministry they've had to deal with quite a lot of incidences of people breaking the rules over the past 6 months, and they've copped quite a bit of criticism for not implementing the rules strictly enough. And the whole reason that me and my mates are actually going to be able to go down to the Basin and watch these guys in a few weeks time is because of the strictness of the managed isolation facilities, so I'm kinda on their side in this case.

vandem

International 12th Man
Notable omissions from NZ A 1st and 2nd games (players who appeared for NZ A in 2019-20 first class games):

Rutherford - batting in middle order for Otago, so perhaps Cooper or Young are back-up opener options in case of Latham / Blundell injury.
Philips - assume he is now 3rd batting backup after Conway and Young.
Mitchell - assume he is test backup if de Grandhomme still injured , but will be in NZ T20 squad.
Ajaz Patel - coming back from injury soon but perhaps non-selection means he won't be considered for NZ until after playing some games for CD.
Will Somerville - assume he will be in the test squad if Ajaz still injured, but perhaps Rippon might sneak ahead with a good game (or 2) for NZ A.

1st game 3 days, not first class.

2nd game 4 days, first class.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
I saw an Otago fan on Twitter who was pretty miffed about how many Otago bowlers they've called up all at once. A bit of Jarrod McKay and Gus McKenzie wackiness is about to hit their Ford Trophy scorecards.

nzfan

Is it safe to assume then that none of these players barring maybe Henry Nicolls won't come close to playing the first test?

Unless they're serious about picking Rippon, Cole or even Rachin as their spinner that can bat.

vandem

International 12th Man
Is it safe to assume then that none of these players barring maybe Henry Nicolls won't need playing the first test?

Unless they're serious about picking Rippon, Cole or even Rachin as their spinner that can bat.
If they want a spare batter in the test squad then Young or Conway are the obvious choices and both playing for NZ A.

Otherwise agree just Nicholls will play NZ A then tests, makes sense as he has limited build-up due to injury.

Seems strange that they didn't pick Ajaz Patel for the same reason as Nicholls.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Ajaz re-injured his calf. I put that in the sheet yesterday.

nzfan

Yeah Jazz is out for quite some time. Interesting times for spinners. Will they go back to Ish or Santner or Sommers or they'll get funky picking Cole or Rippon? I'd probably like to see Cole or Rippon. To be honest pick any spinner, it won't make a difference.

nzfan

Very happy to see Sears and Smith. Two guys I look forward to every time there's a domestic game. Obviously huge fan of Ravindra but he's been playing for As since like two years.

Chewie

Yeah Jazz is out for quite some time. Interesting times for spinners. Will they go back to Ish or Santner or Sommers or they'll get funky picking Cole or Rippon? I'd probably like to see Cole or Rippon. To be honest pick any spinner, it won't make a difference.
Cooper :ph34r:

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
About time they stripped Ravindra of his automatic NZA status. Make the Carlton Banks types earn something with some pure virility and hard labour for a change.

nzfan

About time they stripped Ravindra of his automatic NZA status. Make the Carlton Banks types earn something with some pure virility and hard labour for a change.
I suppose that's why he's there? Probably known as the most hard working player in the country? I think it'll be short sighted to drop him. Averaged 60 as an opener in first class for firebirds last year, 50+ average in ford trophy last year striking at over 120 SR, likely 24 average in super smash with the bat at 140+ SR and bowled really well in white ball as well?

Glad they picked him and understand this is a developmental side, not test side.

Last edited:

nzfan

Probably dropping Rachin may in fact help him and firebirds. He'll get a good run at domestic cricket with the bat and likely with the ball unless Bracewell doesn't end up bowling himself lol... Firebirds will be better off with him in the team particularly with Conway gone as well. We the wellingtonian cricket tragics will be happy to see Ravindra in the firebirds squad for all games this year.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
but this rhetoric is a joke.
I think it is because unlike the other cricket series we have seen, here there will be literally no bubble concept for the Windies once the 14 day period is over. So, them breaking the rules exposes the entire public to the risk, however minute it may be. I dunno if they did not understand the exact situation clearly enough. Its why you see Simmons and the WICB almost be sheepish about it, its ridiculously silly of them when in 4 more days, they would have had absolutely no quarantine rules as such.

Beamer

I understand the NZ perspective and don;t get me wrong, when I heard about it I was a)embarrassed and b) shocked that they could be so stupid, especially when they have perhaps more experience of playing cricket under bubbles than any other test nation. Also reading about the local context on this thread since helps my perspective a little, so thanks.

But it's more the harsh tone that I don't like. Yes it is a privilege to come to New Zealand, it's a beautiful country. But our guys are coming over in less than ideal circumstances to make sure cricket can be played. So yes, take internal disciplinary action against those responsible, yes spend the remaining days until Friday in quarantine. But quit this unnecessarily aggressive tone of voice and threat to make them stay in quarantine for longer. That really irritated me and still does tbh.

Beamer

NZA squad for the two November matches:

NEW ZEALAND A

Dane Cleaver (w) — Central Stags

Blair Tickner — Central Stags

Will Young — Central Stags

Joe Carter — Northern Districts

Devon Conway — Wellington Firebirds

Henry Cooper — Northern Districts

Jacob Duffy — Otago Volts

Ken McClure — Canterbury

Cole McConchie (captain) — Canterbury

Henry Nicholls — Canterbury

Michael Rae — Otago Volts

Rachin Ravindra — Wellington Firebirds

Michael Rippon (Otago Volts)

Ben Sears — Wellington Firebirds

Sean Solia — Auckland Aces

Nathan Smith — Otago Volts
Thoughts on the quality of the side selected? Good test for our guys? Any chance of someone forcing their way into the reckoning?

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes that's nearly the optimum national 2nd XVI for us, just about. NZC are a bit weird and formal whenever there's international 'A' cricket.

Nicholls is in there because he's been absent from the early domestic rounds (calf injury). We all still expect him to play the two Tests ahead of any Devon Conway call-up.

Henry Cooper (three tons last season) and Joe Carter (a good runs aggregate in a very bowler-friendly first month of play) are in purely by being the hottest hands right now, rather than being earmarked years ago as players of interest. Will Young would fit more into that latter category. The lack of Daryl Mitchell and Glenn Phillips suggests they maybe cracked the T20I squad.

Both Conway and Hamish Bennett have talked up Ben Sears' sheer speed readings in our off-season, but he shouldn't really be bouncing too many guys out at John Davies Oval unless there's a very soft surrender. He could even start travelling at close to a run-a-ball if he keeps testing out the middle of the pitch down there. I'd expect the in-form Jacob Duffy to just plug away on a good line and length with some outswing and take the wickets.

Last edited: