• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* West Indies in New Zealand - Nov/Dec 2020

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
I'm super excited to see Devon to debut in under a week.... Counting days now. By the looks of it he's not going to disappoint either. The build up has been unbelievable. Just wishing he turns out to be like Michael Hussey for us.

Will Young looking extremely good as well with the bat. If he gets a go soon enough I have absolutely no doubt he's going to go well. I suppose by the time Pakistan series starts I think one of Conway or Young will break into the test team. Not sure at whose cost but they will surely break in unless Blundell, Nicholls and Watling do mighty good.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
It's just the intensity, or lack thereof that gets me in these non-official A/tour games. I wasn't aware there was another game, so to be fair the Windies were probably blowing off the cobwebs after travel/isolation. Nzfan probably summed it up perfectly in terms of the Windies getting a bit out of it, and us not much.

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
If the same was played with just 11 players each side it would definitely make sense as a game otherwise no. Definitely not a fan of unofficial games. It's quite useless as you said as for results are concerned. Only useful for visiting teams though particularly for bowlers. In fact this is not warm up for test matches as such but warm up for the two 4 day NZ A v WI A games as I understand but also served the purpose for WI to play some of their test players. The WI bowling intensity was quite good I'd think as this is the only hit out they get before the first test on 3rd Dec. The test match regulars won't be playing the two 4 day NZ A coming up.

I reckon WI requested us to play pick of our best players as this is the only hit their test players were going to get prior test series otherwise we don't dish up fringe Black Caps players.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah that's how I see it too. If you make it a FC game, it adds an extra onus to it. It makes it feel real. Guys want FC tons, they want to boost averages, yeah it's a selfish endeavour but it brings out an extra element of competitiveness. And I think we can stand to deal with the extra player who misses out to make it 11x11.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Mitchell and Santner added to test squad, de Grandhomme and Patel still injured. So no Somerville (as suspected by some posters here when he was not selected for NZ A).

Colin injury is hopefully taken as a positive on hindsight and used as a chance to blood young early, hopefully.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Sorry with CDG's highly effective wobblers unavailable that leaves us no choice but to play four seamers and leave Santa in his sleigh.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
I know... but let's just forget about that and select Southee/Boult/Wagner/Jamieson. Either Mitchell plays and barely bowls (just like Santner would) or else debut Young at six.

Flem274*

123/5
i don't get their attraction with santner. wouldn't mind him if he was absolutely miserly, but he's easily milked for singles.

Athlai

Not Terrible
i don't get their attraction with santner. wouldn't mind him if he was absolutely miserly, but he's easily milked for singles.
He is miserly compared to other Kiwi spinners but yeah he is a very poor man's Daniel Vettori in Tests even when only holding up an end. 3-4 singles an over is just free.

Athlai

Not Terrible
He is miserly compared to other Kiwi spinners but yeah he is a very poor man's Daniel Vettori in Tests even when only holding up an end. 3-4 singles an over is just free.
Though TBF Ajaz so far has been as miserly but occasionally actually threatens wickets too. Just backing up that Santner has been more miserly than our other spinners of the 2010s like Jeets/Somerville/Tastle/Craig/Sodhi. PARTICULARLY at home.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Gotta assume the XI will be Latham, Blundell, KW, Taylor, Nicholls, Mitchell, Watling, Jamieson, Southee, Wagner, Boult - though I guess the extra batting they get from Jamieson may lead them to opt for Santa over Mitchell.