• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* West Indies in New Zealand - Nov/Dec 2020

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
Is Ben Wheeler out of the reckoning completely? I don’t recall seeing him in the CD lineup either. It’s a shame he hasn’t kicked on as he was given a taste of international cricket as far back as 2015 and should really have been where Jaimeson and Ferguson are now, putting pressure on the incumbent test trio. I see Ed Nuttall is working his way back too, I guess those two could be added to the generation you’re referring too.
He’s got a knee injury at the moment.

Beamer

Great to see some runs on the board and it's so good to have the real Bravo back with runs under his belt in FC cricket. Will make us a much stronger team. Brooks also continued to impress.

However, worrying signs from Kraigg, Chase and Blackwood who got out in all too familiar ways. Why can't a tall guy like Chase get forward? It's just such average batsmanship. Plus Blackwood getting caught at mid on for what feels like the hundredth time.

Beamer

4 batsmen out lbw or bowled to ones that kept low. Slightly bad luck? Possibly, but it was the same against Broad in England, they're all camped on the crease against 80mph bowling. It's pathetic. So tired of them.

Beamer

Ravindra clean bowled by Gabriel. Hard to tell, but it might be another one that kept low.

Conway in at 3. Good test for him.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Jeez that was a good ball from Gabriel, came way back at really quick speed's, not much Ravindra could have done there, beat him for pace.

Flem274*

123/5
im not sure they kept low. the queenstown deck isn't quick so duffy and tickner won't be getting the bounce you'd expect their height to get.

main issue was just standing there. dowrich gifted mcconchie, a batsman who bowls, his wicket to a standard off break. gabriel's wicket by far the best one today. looks like it nipped late? you can see rachin stagger when he realises he's ****ed this up.

edit - yea young just dismissively pulled a gabriel ball that didn't get up at all. this deck has no bounce. windies bowlers should use their variations.

Last edited:

Beamer

im not sure they kept low. the queenstown deck isn't quick so duffy and tickner won't be getting the bounce you'd expect their height to get.

main issue was just standing there. dowrich gifted mcconchie, a batsman who bowls, his wicket to a standard off break. gabriel's wicket by far the best one today. looks like it nipped late? you can see rachin stagger when he realises he's ****ed this up.
Da Silva and Rakheem got ones that definitely kept very low, you can tell as camera was front on.

Chase and Kraigg had no excuse though IMHO, just lazy and camped on the back foot. They can't bat like that against Boult and Southee, it will be like taking candy from a baby.

vandem

International 12th Man
Beamer said:
...Batters camping on the crease will make Southee and Jamieson interested ...
Jamieson will also be interested if batters are camping on the crease. Don't let his 6'8" height fool you, he gets wickets lbw and bowled. See below, 5 wicket FC bag earlier this season, 4 from full balls (3 bowled, 1 ct slip), 1 from short of a length ball (ct slip).

Beamer

Jamieson will also be interested if batters are camping on the crease. Don't let his 6'8" height fool you, he gets wickets lbw and bowled. See below, 5 wicket FC bag earlier this season, 4 from full balls (3 bowled, 1 ct slip), 1 from short of a length ball (ct slip).

Holder does similar. When tall bowlers hit that length it is especially difficult.

Moss

Holder does similar. When tall bowlers hit that length it is especially difficult.
Yup Holder is a good comparison. He’s been immense in test cricket of late and will certainly be interesting to see the questions he poses of NZ’s lineup this time.

Flem274*

123/5
combined team?

latham
blundell
kane
ross
bravo
watling
cdg
holder
cornwall
wagner
boult

throwing a bone with bravo, since i hate to be the guy going 'hurrrrr look how gr8 we are' like the weak waugh twin.

Beamer

latham
blundell
kane
ross
bravo
watling
Holder
cornwall
wagner
Roach
boult

12th man Shannon Gabriel

Two good bowling line ups, whilst NZ's batting is just in a different class to ours. No point beating around the bush. I also do have concerns about how our guys will bowl with the kookaburra ball. 4 wickets in 100+ overs against NZ A didn't exactly allay those fears.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Another meaningless, probably worthless warm-up fixture. I always laugh when I watch the highlights and watch how lame it looks when guys take a wicket/some of the motivation-less dross bowled etc. Deck probably nothing like the first Test etc. Probably only good for local players to rack up a score and have the media/public build a case for them in the future based on that knock (ie Finn Allen will always have England).

Beamer

Another meaningless, probably worthless warm-up fixture. I always laugh when I watch the highlights and watch how lame it looks when guys take a wicket/some of the motivation-less dross bowled etc. Deck probably nothing like the first Test etc. Probably only good for local players to rack up a score and have the media/public build a case for them in the future based on that knock (ie Finn Allen will always have England).
I'm placing more emphasis on the next one tbh. We've got some miles in the legs now so I expect the bowling to be more incisive.

I will worry if we don't take wickets in that fixture.

nzfan

I think it was a very good hit out for West Indies. Their bowlers got plenty of work load, bowled to some of the best batsmen in our domestic circuit and that'll place them in good stead. Besides Bravo their premier batsman got to spend some good time in the middle. I don't think WI can ask for more. It would have been useless if we had played players that were reserve in our domestic set up. Traditionally that is what we have done. Since last year we are providing visiting teams with good teams to practice against. Remember India bowling to similar such team last year and India played all their premier bowlers as well. They went all right with the ball but then their batters just didn't play responsibly which showed in the final test results.

We gained nothing from it as all of those that got runs or wickets will not feature in the test team barring Nicholls. I think WI will be quietly happy and will be thanking Black Caps for providing much needed hit out in the middle. It takes time to get used to the conditions, weather etc... We had nothing to gain and WI had everything to gain from this hit out.