• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** West Indies in New Zealand 2017

Flem274*

123/5
who would be the biggest sports media person these days? Veitch? i know his thing post assaulting the ex is relentless positivity no matter what but he or someone really needs to drag david white over the hot coals because no one has and its disgusting. its not just the lack of tests, look at his bungling of captaincy gate for example. he brings nothing to the game except cynical attempts at making as much short term cash as possible.

the 2015 world cup was the best chance nz have ever had to grow the game and so far all the effort is being channelled into gimmicks like T20, which are entertaining but really who gets sad if we lose one?

Last edited:

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
who would be the biggest sports media person these days? Veitch? i know his thing post assaulting the ex is relentless positivity no matter what but he or someone really needs to drag david white over the hot coals because no one has and its disgusting. its not just the lack of tests, look at his bungling of captaincy gate for example. he brings nothing to the game except cynical attempts at making as much short term cash as possible.

the 2015 world cup was the best chance nz have ever had to grow the game and so far all the effort is being channelled into gimmicks like T20, which are entertaining but really who gets sad if we lose one?
Doubt White would care sadly, even if hit with those questions. He'd likely reply with corporate speak about it being a commercial reality and take delight in reminding everyone how it all comes down to the almighty dollar. Forgetting of course that famous cricketers often create their value and legendary status from their exploits in Test cricket.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Hasn't White already said they're cutting the Plunket Shield back form 10 rounds to 5 as of next season? Yeah, the NZC just does not give a **** about test cricket, as far as they're concerned test cricket is just a drain on resources that could be reinvested into producing a substandard knock-off of the Big Bash.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
Don't worry Zinny! We've got two totally unfamiliar test opponents next summer! Come on down Sri Lanka and Bangladesh!
Wait, aren't India pencilled in for early 2019. Remember seeing that and thinking of planning for a vacation.

Zinzan

Even White can't take away my memories of that amazing 4 Test series in England in 1999 (won 2-1 by NZ). And a damn good thing too, if it weren't for that 4th Test, she would have been a 1-1 draw.

Moss

Even White can't take away my memories of that amazing 4 Test series in England in 1999 (won 2-1 by NZ). And a damn good thing too, if it weren't for that 4th Test, she would have been a 1-1 draw.
Yeah, that series seems to be more remembered for "England became the worst team in the world post which Hussain and Fletcher turned it around etc". Pity, because it overlooks some excellent and highly watchable cricket from NZ all series, Cairns and Nash especially.

OverratedSanity

Yeah, that series seems to be more remembered for "England became the worst team in the world post which Hussain and Fletcher turned it around etc". Pity, because it overlooks some excellent and highly watchable cricket from NZ all series, Cairns and Nash especially.
Cairns 80 was one of the best <100 innings I've ever seen. Some of the cleanest hitting ever.

The Hutt Rec

Hasn't White already said they're cutting the Plunket Shield back form 10 rounds to 5 as of next season?
I think the Player's Association managed to shoot that down, thank goodness.

Next season is a disaster ... can't we at least have the three test series against Sri Lanka, rather than Bangladesh?

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Think all the bitterness in this thread regarding NZC's attitude to test cricket is.... justified.

They will argue it costs money and they can't attract top sides to visit - I would argue their priorities are too heavily skewed towards money and that I doubt their sincerity in trying to attract test series against top sides - rather they wind those down into more ODIs and T20s. Also severely allergic to David White's corporate babble.

What does it mean to alienate the core cricket supporters, those who mostly prefer the longest form of the game? NZC wants to find out.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Why don't they show some creativity and invite Ireland over here? Have a 4 day St Patrick's Day (17 March) and give away a free guinness, baked potato etc with every ticket. Encourage everyone to dress up - I guarantee it would be a success.

Then the next year invite Afghanistan and give away chocolate biscuits with walnuts on top

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
We should absolutely play against Ireland and Afghanistan.

We need a marquee visitor each summer too though - unfortunately neither Sri Lanka or Bangladesh are that, and adding either of the above wouldn't help.

Having had SA, England and WI recently, need home tests in 18/19 against either India or Australia.

Beamer

Now that was a real cutarse. New Zealand were so efficient on that 4th day, such sensible line and length. Bowling and fielding like that when we were so far behind unfortunately meant there was no way back. Oh well, congrats to New Zealand. Mustn't worry too much, it's a very young team and they will make mistakes like that first innings performance occasionally. At least the second innings pasting of Wagner showed some character I hope that continues into the second test.

I'm worried about Dowrich though, he looked distinctly tailenderish in that second innings. What on earth has happened to him? He's a shadow of the guy that debuted.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hasn't White already said they're cutting the Plunket Shield back form 10 rounds to 5 as of next season?
I think the Player's Association managed to shoot that down, thank goodness.
No really, what did he actually say? As if I'm going to believe anyone in a high managerial position in the cricketing world is that completely unhinged and utterly out-of-touch.

I sincerely hope journos over in NZ and people at the grounds are loudly voicing their displeasure at how ****ing stupid the treatment of the long-form game is over there. I know kiwis are nice people but ffs start rioting.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Think all the bitterness in this thread regarding NZC's attitude to test cricket is.... justified.

They will argue it costs money and they can't attract top sides to visit - I would argue their priorities are too heavily skewed towards money and that I doubt their sincerity in trying to attract test series against top sides - rather they wind those down into more ODIs and T20s. Also severely allergic to David White's corporate babble.

What does it mean to alienate the core cricket supporters, those who mostly prefer the longest form of the game? NZC wants to find out.
I would argue incompetent administrators are treating Test cricket as something that needs to be completely financially viable in itself, rather than something that underpins everything that happens in international cricket. Yes, it can't bleed cash uncontrollably...but it can't be simply compared to limited overs cricket and their relative bottom lines.

You're right, NZC is trying to find out. Not only are they risking alienating fans, they're risking players too. Brendon McCullum retired because his Test career was over fitness wise and the World Cup, the only semi-meaningful thing in international cricket, was 4 years away. Colin Munro continues to play international cricket because he wants to play Tests, Mitch McClenaghan knows he won't play Tests now either and is a franchise man. Why would guys choose to earn less money to play meaningless ODI and even more meaningless T20s over jetsetting and playing franchise cricket - meaning they are away from their families less and see more of the world? Answer, they won't.

Flem is right, someone in the media should go after David White but they won't - because it's not a massive headline grabber. Justin Vaughan was an incompetent boob too but he made the grave error of messing with a national hero in Shane Bond.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Southee coming right back in. Sigh. He's going to do just enough against WI, SL, and Bang to stay in the side but if we want the Southee who can genuinely compete with India, Aus, and SA he needs a massive kick up the butt. Some players need the selectors faith to perform, but Southee's been a big fish in a small pond his whole life.

Zinzan

Meanwhile, across the Tasman, Adelaide has already achieved an all-time record attendance of 173,000 there and it's only day 4. So Test cricket is as healthy there as it's ever been.

So NZC if you have to play 2-3 pink ball tests in the summer to be more marketable, then do it.

There's so many other things they could do in the periphery to get more people through the gates, but they have zero imagination except to think the only answer is white ball cricket.