• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** West Indies in New Zealand 2017

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Test Cricket needs to be commercially viable. It can be commercially viable.
To a point. It doesn't mean 1xTest has to equal 5xODIs. It's not that simple of an equation.

Pull out the foundations and see how long the nice pretty stuff on top stays strong for.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
My point is that if he's after the dat Indian money he needs to realise there is a market for test cricket fans all over the world, it just needs to be put into a package that's accessible and attractive.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, LOs subsidize FC cricket financially and FC cricket subsidizes the quality of LO cricket.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Holder suspended for the 2nd test due to a slow over rate.

https://www.icc-cricket.com/media-releases/530732
Windies captain Jason Holder has been suspended for one Test and fined 60 per cent of his match fee, while his players have been fined 30 per cent of their match fees, for maintaining a slow over-rate during New Zealand’s innings and 67 runs victory in the Wellington Test, which ended on Monday.

Chris Broad of the Emirates Elite Panel of ICC Match Referees imposed the suspension on Holder after the Windies were ruled to be three overs short of their target after time allowances* were taken into consideration**.

In accordance with Article 2.5.1 and Appendix 2 of the ICC Code of Conduct for Players and Players Support Personnel, which deals with minor over-rate offences, players are fined 10 per cent of their match fees for every over their side fails to bowl in the allotted time, with the captain fined double that amount.

As Holder had previously been found guilty of a minor over-rate offence during the Jamaica Test against Pakistan in April 2017, this offence constituted his second minor over-rate offence in a Test match within a 12-month period.

The suspension means Holder will miss the second Test against New Zealand which starts in Hamilton on Saturday, 9 December.

The charge was laid by on-field umpires Ian Gould and Rod Tucker, third umpire Bruce Oxenford, all from the Emirates Elite Panel of ICC Umpires, and fourth official Wayne Knights.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
My point is that if he's after the dat Indian money he needs to realise there is a market for test cricket fans all over the world, it just needs to be put into a package that's accessible and attractive.
Correct

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
I know the ICC are supposedly cracking down on slow over rates, but is this ban consistent with other punishments for similar offences?

Will be a real shame to weaken WI for the second test.

Last edited:

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Meanwhile, across the Tasman, Adelaide has already achieved an all-time record attendance of 173,000 there and it's only day 4. So Test cricket is as healthy there as it's ever been.

So NZC if you have to play 2-3 pink ball tests in the summer to be more marketable, then do it.
We're finally getting our first pink ball test this summer, though as part of a two test visit I'd say it Lacks Context ™. Give with one hand and take with the other.

Trademark David White 2017

Flem274*

123/5
plus its at eden park, which always looks empty unless its a full house for a world cup or all blacks game so if even double the usual 5000 show up david white can point and say "look, not even modern day night test cricket can bring the crowds, its dead."

Howsie

International Captain
David White is a muppet who comes across as being borderline brain damaged. If someone went after him in the media he’d be gone in less than a month.

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
Well I have to say after going along to the Saturday of the first test, it was one of the most entertaining days of test cricket I've seen at the ground. The improvements to the Basin make it an even better place to watch cricket, and the on-field play was top notch with CDG's tonne and some other good contributions. Given the Basin only holds 7000 at the moment, I don't see why they couldn't have somehow filled it up for Saturday and Sunday.

I know it's not just a matter of clicking your fingers and filling it up, but I'm sure they could be doing more than they are at the moment. I've actually seen more promotion around Wellington for the Firebirds than I did for that test.

It sort of hits a point where you wonder if it suits NZ Cricket to get a lesser crowd for test matches because it fits their narrative.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
We're finally getting our first pink ball test this summer, though as part of a two test visit I'd say it Lacks Context ™. Give with one hand and take with the other.

Trademark David White 2017
The way he's handling it is the textbook example of a self-fulfilling prophecy. It really ****ing sucks.

Moss

Have to agree with all of the above. All this isn't without precedent in NZ cricket - I recall the 2006-07 season being no more than 2-tests against SL after India were allowed to pull out in the name of world cup preparation. Ditto with 2010-11 and quite a few occasions in the 90's. The real shame here is that all this is coming on the heels of the 2015 World Cup and some years of sustained success in all forms of the game (could you ask for a better springboard than that 2014 test series against India? And of course India will only be returning for ODI's in 2019.).

In terms of the current series, I'd say a two-test series is a dissevice to the Windies too, in the time they've taken to find their feet the possibility of a series victory is gone. They may yet spring a surprise in the second test but then all the more frustrating to not have a decider.

Beamer

Bloody harsh, IMO. I've seen worse over rates go unpunished.
It certainly seems inconsistent with how it has been applied to other teams in other circumstances but I'm generally in favor of harsh punishments for slow over-rates. There's no excuse and I thought we were quite lethargic on occasion in the field during the 1st test. Santner bowled less overs than our spinners and yet the NZ over-rate was better than ours. Holder has been warned before. Maybe the team will get their act together now and get round more quickly.

Braithwaite will be captain. He's quite a negative skipper based on his captaincy of Barbados but lets see how it goes. I personally think Holder is a weak tactician so I look forward to seeing how we go about the 2nd test without him. They might well replace him with Reifer who has been around the side a while now without playing. WIll be interesting to see how he goes too.