• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** West Indies in India

adharcric

International Coach
The inclusion of RP Singh indicates a lack of confidence in Munaf Patel. This may just be an insurance plan in case Munaf isn't fit for the World Cup for some reason.
As for Pathan being dropped, that just indicates that he hasn't done enough to prove his form yet and he will get more action in the Ranji semis. Good move.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Yea, I am glad they didn't put Gagandeep Singh. IMO he needs to get a test call up, not ODI (his LIST-A record isn't very good).

I am suprised at Raina, but dissapointed at Kaif. I would have Kaif in the squad. My ideal ODI would be:
  1. Uthappa/Ganguly/Badrinath/Gambhir/Sachin
  2. Uthappa/Ganguly/Badrinath/Gambhir/Sachin
  3. Dravid
  4. Yuvraj
  5. Kaif
  6. Karthik +
  7. Dhoni
  8. Kumble/Harbhajan
  9. Agarkar
  10. Zaheer
  11. Sreesanth

No Laxman in ODI's.

The Baconator

International Vice-Captain
Who is this Badrinath guy who's name I've seen bandied about

I know he's batsman, but he is young or old, or the next big Indian batting talent or something?

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
26 year old very consistent in domestic cricket with an average of close to 48.Usely bats at 4 for Tamil Nadu.Matured into a good player and knows his game.Would be right time to call him up as he's at a good age.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
No Kaif in the squad is a huge blow to him personally, will be interesting to see if he comes back. Mediocre performances from mid-2005 onwards have hurt him.

Like the squad actually, and absolutely stoked at Sharma's selection. Hope Gambhir can get a game opening the batting as well.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Comparing the squad selected to mine....

Hmmm…. Uthappa instead of Rohit Sharma. Not a bad choice, given Uthappa’s form. Raina instead of Kaif. Doesn’t really matter. Powar instead of Kumble…. Interesting. RP Singh instead of Badrinath? That is just confusing. We certainly don’t need so many bowlers, surely…
Rohit Sharma a bit too young don't you think? That's what I feel regarding Raina as well mind you.

I think Uthappa and Subramaniam Badrinath should both be in the squad ahead of Raina and Sharma for now.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yea, I am glad they didn't put Gagandeep Singh. IMO he needs to get a test call up, not ODI (his LIST-A record isn't very good).

I am suprised at Raina, but dissapointed at Kaif. I would have Kaif in the squad. My ideal ODI would be:
  3. Dravid
  4. Yuvraj
  5. Kaif
  6. Karthik +
  7. Dhoni
  8. Kumble/Harbhajan
  9. Agarkar
  10. Zaheer
  11. Sreesanth

No Laxman in ODI's.
Nice, mine is pretty similar. This is mine for the WC:

1. Uthappa/Badrinath/Gambhir/Sachin
  2. Uthappa/Badrinath/Gambhir/Sachin
  3. Ganguly
  4. Yuvraj
  5. Dravid
  6. Karthik +
  7. Dhoni
  8. Kumble/Harbhajan/Powar
  9. Agarkar
  10. Zaheer
  11. Sreesanth

Kaif (sad for me to not have him in my team :(), Joginder Sharma, Pathan and Raina all possible squad members. I don't rate RP Singh anymore (I used to be a backer of his) and if he doesn't prove himself in the next few matches he'd drop right back in the pecking order where Irfan now is.

I'm also a bit nervy regarding Karthik considering his list A record. Can anyone else say how he's done in domestic one-day cricket lately?

Evermind

International Debutant

3. Dravid
  4. Yuvraj
  5. Kaif
  6. Karthik +
  7. Dhoni
  8. Kumble/Harbhajan
  9. Agarkar
  10. Zaheer
  11. Sreesanth

No Laxman in ODI's.
That's be a pretty good lineup - Pretty much everyone can bat a little. Ganguly and Tendulkar need to open, however. Who knows, maybe there'll be a small miracle, and India might actually win a match.

Not holding my breath, though.

Laxman is a liability in the field and can't score fast enough. I'd also not have Kaif in the team: I think he's had too many chances already, and hasn't done enough to justify a place.

Agarkar is another bits and pieces bowler who always goes for runs. He'll have a lucky day but is generally ineffective. India really need bowling options.

Who's this Gagandeep, and why has he not been included in the squad?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Who's this Gagandeep, and why has he not been included in the squad?
Statistically (I don't watch Indian domestic cricket, can't really) he's not been that crash hot in list-A games. Seems fair enough to pick Joginder Sharma ahead of him too.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Nice, mine is pretty similar. This is mine for the WC:

1. Uthappa/Badrinath/Gambhir/Sachin
  2. Uthappa/Badrinath/Gambhir/Sachin
  3. Ganguly
  4. Yuvraj
  5. Dravid
  6. Karthik +
  7. Dhoni
  8. Kumble/Harbhajan/Powar
  9. Agarkar
  10. Zaheer
  11. Sreesanth

Kaif (sad for me to not have him in my team :(), Joginder Sharma, Pathan and Raina all possible squad members. I don't rate RP Singh anymore (I used to be a backer of his) and if he doesn't prove himself in the next few matches he'd drop right back in the pecking order where Irfan now is.

I'm also a bit nervy regarding Karthik considering his list A record. Can anyone else say how he's done in domestic one-day cricket lately?
The thing about Karthik is that he has to be given a shot considering he was the only one who knew how to bat in the last test, and did well behind the stumps. The way I see it, he has 8 games to prove himself for the WC. If not, Laxman or Kaif makes a comeback.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
My personal preference has always been to pick guys in form, even if the alternative has more experience.

Even with someone who has no experience, if they are in form, I'd trust them to find their feet at the highest level compared to an out of form experienced player.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
No offence SS, but what the hell does that have to do with our discussion that's going on here? Are you referring to a certain poster, certain post, certain selection?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
No offence SS, but what the hell does that have to do with our discussion that's going on here? Are you referring to a certain poster, certain post, certain selection?
That was meant as a general post to explain why my team has Tendulkar/Ganguly listed as only 'maybe's', and has no Laxman.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Oh, and I find such delicious irony in the BCCI telling players to be accountable, considering they are quite possibly the most un accountable bunch of asses in history of human civilization.

Not that I disagree with what they are saying, but its funny considering who it is coming from.