• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** West Indies in India

adharcric

International Coach
Completely agree with Jono. Sehwag should slot into the middle-order when he returns. In fact, there's a misconception that he can't take singles and doubles.
He's quite good at finding gaps against spin bowling from what I've seen and he should fare better in the middle-order. Of course, he still needs to bat sensibly to succeed.

Last edited:

adharcric

International Coach
I certainly don't want Sehwag back as an opener but it's very likely that he will return against Sri Lanka. In that case, he should definitely slot into the middle-order. Sehwag is very talented but he hasn't performed well enough to deserve a trip to the World Cup. That said, he will get the chance and I hope he finally starts performing for his and India's sake.

pacespinner

Cricket Spectator
Sehwag is not supposed to be a middle order batsman. He is supposed to go in and BLAST, period. That is his job in the field. It's Dravid's job in the middle just in case the openers crumble. The line up might change depending on the situation of the game.

I WONDER IF ONLY THE INDIAN COACH or THE SELECTORS WOULD LISTEN TO US!!!

If the situation is such that none of the opening batsmen perform, we will have Uvaraj and Dravid "the wall," to hold the landslide (usually happens) as explained by the following links:

1. http://www.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/.../SCORECARDS/AUS_IND_CUODS_ODI4_14JAN2000.html

2. http://www.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/...RECARDS/IND_RSA_SBTT_ODI-FINAL_26OCT2001.html

3. http://www.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/...ECARDS/IND_WI_SPOREC_ODI-FINAL_08SEP1999.html

and many more.

And Dhoni comes in latter in overs around 40. Then he starts balstin and pushin the ball for fours and SIXES.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Are you worried that a lack of mobility in the field could be a factor if India don't do well at the WC.If Sehwag doesn't perform Raina or Karthik should come in the side.If you add up the slow movers Sehwag,Kumble,Ganguly and Zaheer this could defiently weaken India as fielding is a very important component in one day cricket.Also do you know the reason why Kaif was dropped as I've always found him to be a gritty and effective batsmen who is underated.Has he been harshly treated by the selectors.He's also a fabulous fielder as well.

adharcric

International Coach
Ganguly and Zaheer are not slow movers. They were poor fielders in the past as a result of poor fitness and work ethic. Both have been decent since making comebacks.
Kumble is a slow mover but he has safe hands. Sehwag is actually quick for his weight and he's a decent fielder overall. Munaf is a terrible mover but safe catcher.

Last edited:

adharcric

International Coach
pacespinner said:
Sehwag is not supposed to be a middle order batsman. He is supposed to go in and BLAST, period.
Says who?
pacespinner said:
That is his job in the field.
You mean, his job with the bat? Seriously, do you even read what you write?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
First of all, great to see India win a series against Windies for once.... (I mean, ODIs, obviously :p )

I hope Sachin has finally proved to everyone AND himself that he can do a very good job at no.4 for the side. I really dont want a situation similar to the last WC when he decided that he HAD to open at the absolute last moment. Sure, it helped the team last time and he was in very good form during that tourny but it never helps the side when such things happen.

Ideally, I like the side India played the last game with. Put Sehwag, Karthik, Sreesanth/Munaf and another reserve batter (Raina/Gambhir) and you get your 15 for the WC.

Sehwag's (and Pathan's, for that matter) selection should be based on his performance in the matches against SL. I hope,as others have mentioned, that either Sehwag and Yuvraj discover their batting forms or Pathan discovers his bowling form in this upcoming series. Otherwise, I still think we will not make the semis in the WC.

Plus, if u play Sehwag and Pathan in our best side, our fielding becomes SERIOUSLY depleted. Good teams will simply outrun us out of the game.

pacespinner

Cricket Spectator
Says who?

You mean, his job with the bat? Seriously, do you even read what you write?
Well I wrote it, so it was me.

My ideal Sehwag would be a person as a batsman not a fielder. He is not a bad fielder either as we have seen at times when he takes those c&b catches. He dives to catch, which is hard to find among some lazy Indian fielders.

I am with Pup Clarke when he said Kaif is good fielder and I know he is and have seen him field. His only problem is that he is not as consistent with bat as he should be. Indian side lacks fielders and effective pace bowlers some one that batsman fear to face. There are some, I won't say there are none, but sort a like Shoaib or Mc Grath or B.Lee or Gough, Flintoff or Pollock etcetra.

I wonder why the game like cricket involve so much politics.

Right now all I would want from Indian cricketeers is that they stick with that they got and just replace Gambhir with Sehwag for the World cup. Rest leave it at the hands of time.

Last edited: