• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* West Indies In Australia

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
If the West Indies go with Bravo as the fourth bowler, Benn really can't be in the team IMO unless it's a raging turner. Benn's gotta go for Tonge if an extra bat plays.

Woodster

International Captain
I think on a pitch offering spin, I would include Benn, but generally I'd agree, not so much that he can't be in the team on the basis of balance, but because there are probably part-time spinners that could do a similar job but have the advantage of being able to bat. For WI to have a more balanced side, imo, a player such as Ryan Hinds could come back into the side, and share the spinning duties with Gayle, and bat somewhere in the top 6.

With that said about Benn, I thought he bowled pretty usefully in that first Test, not a great turner of the ball, but uses good flight and changes of pace, and with his height, gains a bit of bounce. Although with a slightly round-arm action, perhaps he does not make the most of his size.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Can anyone clued up on Windies cricket tell me why Dave Mohammed hasn't had more chances than he has? He really does have a good FC record and isn't terrible with the bat.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Don't get your obsession over Nannes tbh. Why would the selectors not go for someone who has a very similar record, but is 7 years younger?
Age shouldn't be a issue. Its all about quality & who is better. AUS picked Miller & 37 as you know he gave AUS 3 very good years in test cricket & was preferred to a younger MacGill at times.

Based on what i've seen of them i'd rate Nannes of Bollinger (slightly) & definately over McKay.

Noble One said:
McKay has been the leading the Victorian pace attack for two seasons now. Nannes generally plays a more shock-bowler role (when fit), and has been nowhere near as effective as McKay.
Nannes took more wicketslast season though, which if i'm correct was the first time he really did anything of note in FC cricket. Nannes should have definately tour SA instead McDonald thats for sure.

shivfan

Banned
Can anyone clued up on Windies cricket tell me why Dave Mohammed hasn't had more chances than he has? He really does have a good FC record and isn't terrible with the bat.
Dave is a frustrating cricketer....

He plays very well for Trinidad in the ODI and 20/20 competitions, and really should be in the WI team for limited overs competitions.

However, his performances in the longer form of the game have deteriorated, compared to other spinners in the region. During the last four-day domestic competition, he started bowling in tandem with Jaggernauth. But as the competition went on, Dave was dropped, and replaced by Imran Khan.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Dave is a frustrating cricketer....

He plays very well for Trinidad in the ODI and 20/20 competitions, and really should be in the WI team for limited overs competitions.

However, his performances in the longer form of the game have deteriorated, compared to other spinners in the region. During the last four-day domestic competition, he started bowling in tandem with Jaggernauth. But as the competition went on, Dave was dropped, and replaced by Imran Khan.
Dave wasn't dropped for performance though so don't bring that in.

roseboy64

Gayle
Barath
Sarwan
Chanderpaul
Dowlin
Bravo
Ramdin
Benn
Roach
Rampaul
Tonge

None of that rubbish about extra batsmen. Top 7 should make runs and put the resposibility on them. No safety nets, that's just the easy way out and most times doesn't work.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Mohammed didn't look test quality to me though. Jaggernauth is probably the best potential test spinner in WI as well, liked what i saw of him when AUS toured in 2008.

But overall i think Benn & Miller are WI spinners (although neither are fantastic) that are likely to have success againts international batsmen. Benn has already proven as he did vs ENG @ Jamaica this year he could be effective on a last day wicket.

Last edited:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah. Adelaide's not a turner, it's just flat. If anything it means that Benn shouldn't be dropped for the extra bat, but I definitely think Tonge should be playing regardless.
Tonge hasn't overly impressed me. The issue for me isn't that they're picking a spinner, it's that they're not picking a good one. There are so many spinners tearing up the home circuit and I've no idea which one is the best but I'm pretty sure it's not Sulieman Benn because Nikita Miller and Amit Jaggernauth have both been much more impressive when I've seen them for starters. Benn's bowled way too quickly every time I've seen him. His stock ball starts at about 55mph and his variations include the quicker ball, the even quicker ball, the much quicker ball and the quickest ball. He's useful on the spitting, bouncing minefields Anil Kumble and Monty Panesar used to excel on (as he showed in Jamaica against England where he bowled brilliantly) but that's about once every 20 tests and the rest of the time he's a bit of a passenger because he's not the type of bowler who can tie down an end. Until he learns to either bowl better defensively or take wickets on slow-turning pitches there are other bowlers who offer more.

Last edited:

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
Tonge hasn't overly impressed me. The issue for me is that they're picking a spinner, it's that they're not picking a good one. There are so many spinners tearing up the home circuit and I've no idea which one is the best but I'm pretty sure it's not Sulieman Benn because Nikita Miller and Amit Jaggernauth have both been much more impressive when I've seen them for starters. Benn's bowled way too quickly every time I've seen him. His stock ball starts at about 55mph and his variations include the quicker ball, the even quicker ball, the much quicker ball and the quickest ball. He's useful on the spitting, bouncing minefields Anil Kumble and Monty Panesar used to excel on (as he showed in Jamaica against England where he bowled brilliantly) but that's about once every 20 tests and the rest of the time he's a bit of a passenger because he's not the type of bowler who can tie down an end. Until he learns to either bowl better defensively or take wickets on slow-turning pitches there are other bowlers who offer more.
Praise be!!!! 100% spot on and I really don't see what the fascination with Benn is. I know Chris Gayle likes him, but I just can't understand why, the guy is an ordinary bowler and an attrocious fielder with a poor disciplinary record.

Please email your post to Clyde Butts and the 3 blind mice we have for selectors:laugh:

Woodster

International Captain
Gayle
Barath
Sarwan
Chanderpaul
Dowlin
Bravo
Ramdin
Benn
Roach
Rampaul
Tonge

None of that rubbish about extra batsmen. Top 7 should make runs and put the resposibility on them. No safety nets, that's just the easy way out and most times doesn't work.

It's not the easy way out by any stretch, unfortunately it's a necessary measure when there is not enough consistent outstanding performers in the top 6/7. Both Bravo and Ramdin are a place too high, imo, at 6 and 7.

Matt79

Global Moderator
This. Bravo is a either anot very good 6 or a very good 7, and there doesn't seem to be enough batting from Ramdin down to have him at 6.

roseboy64

His batting is more than good enough to bat at 6. He needs to cut out the silly shots and take responsibility in his innings.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
His batting is more than good enough to bat at 6. He needs to cut out the silly shots and take responsibility in his innings.
Out of interest (beacuse I dont have an opinion myself), do you think Bravo is one of the best 6 batsmen in WI or one of the top 4 bowlers?

If not where does he rank in each list?

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
If we are talking test cricket he should certainly be amongst the top 6 batsmen. When he is given more responsibility with the bat he usually delivers. At Under 19 level he was a very effective opening batsman for example.

He is a worthy 4th seamer in our lineup but he is having to bowl too many overs in his career so far because the other bowlers are not doing the job. It is a but much to ask Bravo to bowl 30 overs per innings and then bat at number 5, usually coming to the crease within the first 20/30 overs.

If he is going to have to bowl all these overs then I agree with Shivfan, he will have to bat at 7. I really feel Bravo should be averaging 40 or more with the bat at test level as he has the technique and the talent.

roseboy64

One of top 6 batsmen and top 4 bowlers. Won't average sub 30 with the ball. Should average around 40 with the bat.

Julian87

State Captain
If the West Indies go with Bravo as the fourth bowler, Benn really can't be in the team IMO unless it's a raging turner. Benn's gotta go for Tonge if an extra bat plays.
Yeah. Adelaide's not a turner, it's just flat. If anything it means that Benn shouldn't be dropped for the extra bat, but I definitely think Tonge should be playing regardless.
What about Sarwan for Taylor, Deonarine for Nash and Tonge for Benn?

I actually reckon that could work. No matter which spinners they take in they're just going to be batting practise at Adelaide IMO. May as well take South Australia's lead and pick one who can bat if the others aren't making a huge case for selection.

The one thing I'd definitely do though is leave Dowlin at 3 with Sarwan at 4 and Chanderpaul at 5. Dowlin really impressed me in the first innings when others were falling around him. Didn't see the second innings becaus4e I played cricket all day.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What about Sarwan for Taylor, Deonarine for Nash and Tonge for Benn?

I actually reckon that could work. No matter which spinners they take in they're just going to be batting practise at Adelaide IMO. May as well take South Australia's lead and pick one who can bat if the others aren't making a huge case for selection.
Has to keep it tight, though. O'Brien's done well because he gives absolutely nothing away. This year especially he's chipped in with two or three at minimal cost on top of some quick runs. Very handy player in a fairly up-and-down side. Most other spinners have been spanked at Adelaide the past two years and someone who gets spanked will cost the side more than any runs they'll make.

Last edited: