• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** West Indies in Australia 2015/16

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
And the commentary has already delved into reminiscing over the former WI greats.

Disastrous start for the Windies.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
FMD Australia's going to score 450 plus today. Already feel sorry for Holder. Poor kid. This is trash bowling at its worst

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I don't think Spark is awake which is a shame because I can't gloat about the fact that I was right about Roach and Taylor repeatedly bowling half volleys when the ball was doing nothing as opposed to bowling too short as he predicted. The funny thing is that we agreed in that conversation that they were probably going to be poor despite predicting completely opposite means to that end.

The really bad news is that new ball bowling is basically the strongest aspect of their side. Taylor usually gets progressively worse with each spell, the change bowlers aren't much chop, one of their opening bats is a complete joke of a cricketer and numbers four through nine all bat at least one place too high.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Too early to break out the "stop, stop, he's already dead" meme? Tbf, that's probably an apt summation of WI cricket in general atm.

nevermind

U19 Debutant
The really bad news is that new ball bowling is basically the strongest aspect of their side. Taylor usually gets progressively worse with each spell, the change bowlers aren't much chop, one of their opening bats is a complete joke of a cricketer and numbers four through nine all bat at least one place too high.
But apart from that, not a bad team.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Is it just me or does Warner often score quickly without being obviously aggressive?

He's getting some absolute junk so far in this innings to be fair.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
I agree with the rest of your post but I don't think Blackwood and Holder look too high at 5 and 7.
Nah I think PEWS is correct. Blackwood is not a test standard no. 5 (I don't think he's test standard yet anyway - he wouldn't make most of the teams at any of the top 6 positions); Holder is also not a proper International standard no. 7 yet.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Is it just me or does Warner often score quickly without being obviously aggressive?

He's getting some absolute junk so far in this innings to be fair.
Just punching it with power, doesn't have to do anything else with his muscle and bat.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I agree with the rest of your post but I don't think Blackwood and Holder look too high at 5 and 7.
Yeah Holder's probably fine at seven. I had it in my head that he was batting six but in that case I think Ramdin would be okay at seven as well. Not great, but fine.

I like Blackwood and there's not really much different between five and six to be fair, but if you take the idea that #6 is generally the fourth best middle order batsman in a team, I don't think he's really good enough to be the third best middle order batsman in a Test team. I also think his technique is really unsuited to Australian conditions; watch as he gets caught between second slip and gully all summer.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Holder is also not a proper International standard no. 7 yet.
I was going to try and argue this, but if you have a look at the other international #7s at the moment, most of them are either really inexperienced or just not very good. Watling and Sarfraz aside, Holder doesn't really look out of place alongside Nevill, Saha, Vilas/de Kock, Bairstow/Buttler and Mendis/Kusal. He's slightly weak compared to most of them but I think he probably belongs in that league. It's not a great period for #7s at the moment so it's hard to say the West Indies are weak compared to other teams because of their #7.