• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Warne vs Murali Discussion

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Love the predictability of this thread.

Saw it had jumped 5 pages since yesterday and just knew without opening it that another muppet has joined in to share his well thought out and considered opinions on this debate.

Welcome Bushranger..........will you last longer than that Jedi fellow???

Should start another thread "*Official* Bushranger V's JediBrah" and see which **** comes out on top.

uvelocity

International Coach
youre lucky burgey, mates kid would field for us until a pen pusher got uppity and thought of the children, not allowed to even sub field until 14 years old now

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's an assumption to assume the opposite too or pretend Murali never played that matches just because Warne didn't. I don't think you should just ignore them.
Nah I'm not one of those guys who think wickets against B/Z count for nothing. They're still wickets and Zimbabwe were a pretty ok side.

The point I'm making is that I don't believe there is frankly too much to choose between Murali and Warne even on a statistical basis when looked at in the right context. Lots of people say Murali's numbers are far ahead of Warne or any other bowler, but if you look at the records with context Murali isn't far ahead of Warne statistically. Saying that Murali got more wickets than Warne at a better average is a bit like saying Imran is better than Lillee because Imran bowled better in the subcontinent. He may be better, but Lillee didn't even play that much in the SC. You can't compare two players on the basis of factors which weren't common to both of them. Which is why it makes sense to compare Warne and Murali on the basis of other factors and not just their overall records. Yes, Murali deserves credit for destroying B/Z regardless of their quality. But, imo it is the only thing that takes Murali's wicket count and average far ahead of Warne.

And whatever anyone says, I will not use 100+ wickets against two not very good sides as the criteria for deciding who is the better of the two spinners, which is what people are effectively doing when they pick Murali over Warne just because he has a better average. Lots of valid reasons to rate Murali higher, but that's not one of them

Last edited:

Burgey

youre lucky burgey, mates kid would field for us until a pen pusher got uppity and thought of the children, not allowed to even sub field until 14 years old now
I think it's the same for us tttt, but maybe 13.

If you want them to be good players it helps them to play against older blokes anyway. They try to play to the standard they're up against.

Assuming you don't get some **** who tries to ping them. I remember a mate's young bloke playing for us when he was about 14 and batting well without doing any damage to the other mob, and bloke knocked him over with a wrong 'un and started high giving and yahooing like bed cleaned up Brian Lara. Dickhead.

uvelocity

International Coach
I think it's the same for us tttt, but maybe 13.

If you want them to be good players it helps them to play against older blokes anyway. They try to play to the standard they're up against.

Assuming you don't get some **** who tries to ping them. I remember a mate's young bloke playing for us when he was about 14 and batting well without doing any damage to the other mob, and bloke knocked him over with a wrong 'un and started high giving and yahooing like bed cleaned up Brian Lara. Dickhead.
its hard to bowl to the young blokes sometimes, dont want to put anything in short by accident. joke that a bloke can play tests at 16 but someone 13 isnt allowed to play z grade

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
I love Australians and their 'logic' - Ricky Ponting is better than Sangakkara bcos Sanga got to play all those tests on Sri Lankan roads, & Warney is better than Murali bcos Murali got to play all those tests on Sri Lankan raging turners

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I love Australians and their 'logic' - Ricky Ponting is better than Sangakkara bcos Sanga got to play all those tests on Sri Lankan roads, & Warney is better than Murali bcos Murali got to play all those tests on Sri Lankan raging turners
It's not about the pitches, it's about the opposition.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
It's not about the pitches, it's about the opposition.
If Murali had played as many tests against England as Warney did, he would have had an even better record. Murali owned the poms far more than Warney did. Should all of Warne's Ashes wickets have asterisks next to them? Also who knows what Andy Flower (one of the premier players of spin of the era - top 3/4) would've done against Warne? He may well have completely nullified him or even destroyed him like the Indians did

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
This is THE thread. From now on all discussion on the topic must be posted in this thread. In an effort to limit the spamming of CC with the same topics over and over, we request that all such discussion be placed in here.

Any other thread opened pertaining to the topic shall be closed immediately. Any significant discussion pertaining to the topic which is posted in any other thread shall be greeted with a polite "shut up". If it persists, the thread may be closed.

This thread will be stickied initially so that all get the message.
Good idea.

TheJediBrah

If Murali had played as many tests against England as Warney did, he would have had an even better record. Murali owned the poms far more than Warney did. Should all of Warne's Ashes wickets have asterisks next to them? Also who knows what Andy Flower (one of the premier players of spin of the era - top 3/4) would've done against Warne? He may well have completely nullified him or even destroyed him like the Indians did
Good thing I completely destroyed this line of argument in the other thread. Only 6 years too late.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Love the predictability of this thread.

Saw it had jumped 5 pages since yesterday and just knew without opening it that another muppet has joined in to share his well thought out and considered opinions on this debate.

Welcome Bushranger..........will you last longer than that Jedi fellow???

Should start another thread "*Official* Bushranger V's JediBrah" and see which **** comes out on top.
So, the Jedi fellow has lasted longer than Bushranger. Saying which, where is Adders? :)