• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* VB Series Thread

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Top_Cat said:
Granted but let's see if his figures would have been as good if he were able to bowl 150km/h. Jimmy Anderson certainly bowled pretty tightly but he was helped a great deal by the mindset of the Aussie batsmen.

Trust me, as someone who was there, Brett Lee looked the most dangerous of all the bowlers in the match. He beat the bat quite frequently and was desperately unlucky not to finish with at least one wicket.
Yes but Brett Lee has played more than 11 List A OD Games in his career hasn't he?

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yes but Brett Lee has played more than 11 List A OD Games in his career hasn't he?
Oh of course but I'm just making the point that althought Anderson seemed to bowl pretty well, he didn't bowl as well as 10 overs for 12 runs would suggest.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Top_Cat said:
Oh of course but I'm just making the point that althought Anderson seemed to bowl pretty well, he didn't bowl as well as 10 overs for 12 runs would suggest.
Well Rich watched it and he said he did...and I've never know Rich to be biased...;)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Top_Cat said:
Granted but let's see if his figures would have been as good if he were able to bowl 150km/h. Jimmy Anderson certainly bowled pretty tightly but he was helped a great deal by the mindset of the Aussie batsmen.
With figures like that, why bowl any quicker - pace isn't everything, accuracy helps (Harmison).

Besides, from what I've seen from Gilly, he thought the openers bowled very well, and they dictated how the Aussies should bat.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Top_Cat said:
Does it matter how well he bowled - he conceded only 12 runs in 10 overs, and bowled 5 consecutive maidens - that's good enough for me!

Eclipse

International Debutant
Anderson did bowl very well but Beven in particular really was not even interested in scoring and many of Andersons bad balls were not played at.

Simon

eclipse makes a very goods point there, if Australia were trying to score runs even a little bit faster he would have gone for more. No matter how good someone bowls in a one dayer, you cant bowl 5 consecutive maidens if the batsman are trying to score.

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
Eclipse said:
Anderson did bowl very well but Beven in particular really was not even interested in scoring and many of Andersons bad balls were not played at.
Could it be an Aussie ploy to keep SL out of the finals, that helped Anderson get those amazing bowling figures ? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Simon

i dont think so, i believe it was more of australia just taking their time, 3 runs an over is very easy for that team and really they coasted it all the way.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I wonder if the Australian selectors are embarassed over the fact that they picked Andrew Symonds who's done jack all ahead of Michael Clarke for the World Cup who came into last night's game bowled & fielded well & showed a good head under a little bit of pressure with the bat.

Simon

i dont think they will realise that now, but during the world cup when Symonds is letting everyone down they will realise how much they stuffed up that selection.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Eclipse said:
Well if they were trying to keep Sri Lanka out of the game it nearly cost them.
How so? They win the group irrespective of that result, so losing wouldn't necessarily have been a bad thing.

It may even have been good for the likes of Watson and Clarke to experience defeat, spur them on to better things?

Complacency is still a danger, and OK, maybe England and Sri Lanka can't exploit it, but what about South Africa, or an in-form Pakistan (depends on which side shows up next month!)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Tim said:
I wonder if the Australian selectors are embarassed over the fact that they picked Andrew Symonds who's done jack all ahead of Michael Clarke for the World Cup who came into last night's game bowled & fielded well & showed a good head under a little bit of pressure with the bat.
Since neither of them would make a first choice eleven, I don't really think it would matter.

FWIW I would rather have someone experienced to call on as a back-up out there.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Eclipse said:
He's definately a fine prospect in ODIs and also Tests, but the difference is that he's doing the buisness at the moment as well, unlike Harmison who also has potential. Yeah I know he didn't bowl as well as that, but then who could? ;) Anyway it was nice for Anderson to get his run rate down anyway :)

Bevan though...ok he looked like he was trying to guide Australia home and he does this (bats very slowly) when the total is not very large, but unlike in the past he got out, maybe become beclamed?

Bazza

International 12th Man
Well two of those are long gone. The first thing I thought when I saw those figures was that it's the kind of stuff you only ever expect from a Pollock or McGrath. Not some kid playing his 5th (?)ODI - in Australia, against Australia.

As for Eclipse, I really can't get over how negative he is about every non-Australian. OK we all know Anderson is never going to do that in every game, maybe not ever again, but he could at least get a bit of credit, instead of reasons why he didn't concede runs, ie "We weren't really trying"!

Eclipse

International Debutant
Bazzaroodoo said:
Well two of those are long gone. The first thing I thought when I saw those figures was that it's the kind of stuff you only ever expect from a Pollock or McGrath. Not some kid playing his 5th (?)ODI - in Australia, against Australia.

As for Eclipse, I really can't get over how negative he is about every non-Australian. OK we all know Anderson is never going to do that in every game, maybe not ever again, but he could at least get a bit of credit, instead of reasons why he didn't concede runs, ie "We weren't really trying"!
You have missread me Bazza I think Anderson bowled brilliantly and has done the whole series.

I was just trying to shed some light on the reason as to why he was abel to bowl so tightly. I did say he bowled very well dident I and what I said about Beven was compleatly true you can ask anyone.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Where was Jayasuria...he didn't play in this match.

Also why do Sri Lanka persist with Jehan Mubarak? He's not done anything in 5 ODIs and his Domestic Career Record is rather poor...he seems like one of these players they just drag out from nowhere like Nawaz when they toured England.