• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* VB Series Thread

chris.hinton

International Captain
English cricket has to change we just cannot go on like this, we lost 11 in a row to the Aussies and that has to stop.

CHANGES ARE NEEDED

Eclipse

International Debutant
Its twelve in a row now.

What can England change tho from what I know they have there best 11 on the park that they can feild at the moment any way.

I think with the Flintoff and Gough back and If Vaughan could start to become a better ODI batsman England would have a pritty strong team.

As good as the Aussie structure and Domestic system is I think its fair to say we have been blessed with some awsomly natrual talented players over the last 10 years and unfortunatly all the other teams world wide have to face the music.
I dont expect we will always be this strong its really just our good luck that we have been blessed with so many good cricketers at the one time. realisticly this is probably as strong as you can expect Australia to ever be (this current era).

If England and other test nations can model there cricket structures around the way we have they should reap the rewards eventualy but in all honesty I cant see Australia ever re-producing the amount of quality criketers we currently have avalable I think we just got lucky in a way and there isent much othere teams can do othere than get there system right and hope they have some luck like we have.

Bazza

International 12th Man
It's important not to lose sight of the bottom liine, which is that today was a one-off. Australia are not that much better than us and will not always beat us in every match, and by 10 wickets at 4x the RR.

We have pushed them close in 3-4 games in the prelims and although they will obviously beat us more often than not, one match is no need to start a riot. We are looking in better shape than over the last 2-3 years, we have found a few new players with talent and who are doing ok (I noticed Collingwood top scored again), and in time and with some injuries healing we can be very competitive.

We have to hope it falls into place at the world cup, but even if it doesn't things are on the up.

Eclipse

International Debutant
My bigest concern about England's world cup build up is that I think some of the players are really really tyerd and burnt out from this long exuhsting tour.

I heard Hussain saying that he was totaly worn out mentaly and phisicaly but he knows he just cant rest.
Just looking at some of the othere players I think threre are few more who fall into that catagory.

Hopefully they can all manage to get some sort of rest before the world cup because I heard they are going straight to SA after the VB Finals.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
chris.hinton said:
CHANGES ARE NEEDED
Well it's all fine saying that but what changes? I know I would certianly take Irani out of the team.

I suppose you would call up a young Leg Spinner by the name of Schofield? :lol:

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
Bazzaroodoo said:
It's important not to lose sight of the bottom liine, which is that today was a one-off.
Well that's a brave statement after Eng has lost to Aus in the last 12 matches...I don't see how in the world 12 is equivalent to a one-off...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
aussie_beater said:
Well that's a brave statement after Eng has lost to Aus in the last 12 matches...I don't see how in the world 12 is equivalent to a one-off...
The margin was a one off he meant...

Bazza

International 12th Man
marc71178 said:
The margin was a one off he meant...
So obvious you had to say it twice Marc! ;)

Yes if you hadn't paraphrased, this is what I actually said:

me! said:
It's important not to lose sight of the bottom liine, which is that today was a one-off. Australia are not that much better than us and will not always beat us in every match, and by 10 wickets at 4x the RR.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Legglancer said:
Congrats... to Australia for the great performance. Gilly is not all talk ! ... thats for sure.8D
I don't see a ton against his name...not even a big one :saint: :lol:

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Rik said:
I don't see a ton against his name...not even a big one :saint: :lol:
Chasing 117, you need to have a Chris Tavare or Mudassar Nazar or someone like that as your partner to score a 100. 69 n.o off 37 balls, 5 catches, 1 stumping is a magnificient performance by any standards.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
anilramavarma said:
Chasing 117, you need to have a Chris Tavare or Mudassar Nazar or someone like that as your partner to score a 100. 69 n.o off 37 balls, 5 catches, 1 stumping is a magnificient performance by any standards.
Yes but he said he would get a ton and he didn't. So he "failed". Wow I'm being harsh...but he did say he would...;)

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Rik said:
Yes but he said he would get a ton and he didn't. So he "failed". Wow I'm being harsh...but he did say he would...;)
Yeah, right!!! He would probably want this kind of "failure" every day. :lol: :lol: :lol: Atleast, you have something to console yourself with, I guess. :lol: :lol:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
chris.hinton said:
English cricket has to change we just cannot go on like this, we lost 11 in a row to the Aussies and that has to stop.

CHANGES ARE NEEDED
What like? Picking a Leg Spinner, then we'll beat them?.... :rolleyes:

Look, behind Australia and South Africa, we are as good as the rest at least. If we all got behind the team rather than demanding changes for changes' sake every time the best team in the world destroys us, don't you think things might improve.

One thing that needs sorting is this defeatist attitude. I've played/coached/scored with enough struggling teams to know full well that thinking like this doesn't help in the least. Yeah, there are a few tweaks here and there in the system that could be made, but there is absolutely no need for wholesale changes, especially just on England's part.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
anilramavarma said:
Yeah, right!!! He would probably want this kind of "failure" every day. :lol: :lol: :lol: Atleast, you have something to console yourself with, I guess. :lol: :lol:
If your team had been playing as long as you can remember without much of a break then you wouldn't need any consolation.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Neil Pickup said:
What like? Picking a Leg Spinner, then we'll beat them?.... :rolleyes:

Look, behind Australia and South Africa, we are as good as the rest at least. If we all got behind the team rather than demanding changes for changes' sake every time the best team in the world destroys us, don't you think things might improve.

One thing that needs sorting is this defeatist attitude. I've played/coached/scored with enough struggling teams to know full well that thinking like this doesn't help in the least. Yeah, there are a few tweaks here and there in the system that could be made, but there is absolutely no need for wholesale changes, especially just on England's part.
No wholesale changes...just Irani :!( :!( :!(

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Rik said:
If your team had been playing as long as you can remember without much of a break then you wouldn't need any consolation.
Oh, so you aren't "consoled" even though Gilly "failed". Really sorry to hear that.:lol: :lol: :lol:

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
anilramavarma said:
Oh, so you aren't "consoled" even though Gilly "failed". Really sorry to hear that.:lol: :lol: :lol:
All I saw was a group of very tired players showing how tired they were. If I had to play as much as they do I would probably get very tired and very bored with Cricket.