• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official Under 19 World Cup Thread***

Loony BoB

International Captain
Definitely a lot of promising talent to look at from this cup. In particular I'm interested to see how the likes of the following will carry on over the years...

MC Henriques (AUS)
HK Bennett (NZ)
Mehrab Hossain jnr (BAN)
Anwar Ali (PAK)
Jamshed Ahmed (PAK)
Piyush Chawla (IND)

And, in general, I'd like to see how Nepal fare in the future, even if not at test level. They aren't even listed along Canada, Scotland etc. at the moment but in time, they might get up there.

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
Loony BoB said:
Definitely a lot of promising talent to look at from this cup. In particular I'm interested to see how the likes of the following will carry on over the years...

MC Henriques (AUS)
HK Bennett (NZ)
Mehrab Hossain jnr (BAN)
Anwar Ali (PAK)
Jamshed Ahmed (PAK)
Piyush Chawla (IND)

And, in general, I'd like to see how Nepal fare in the future, even if not at test level. They aren't even listed along Canada, Scotland etc. at the moment but in time, they might get up there.
and Jack Mcnamara ofcourse ! :D

Autobahn

State 12th Man
Langeveldt said:
is it me, or is Chawla another off spinner who looks (to the uninformed, and the naked eye) like he chucks it?
Well he's a leggie to begin with and he's got a very smooth action, so i think you're way off-target there.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Neil Pickup said:
Just watched the highlights of the wickets.

There is no conceivable way I can imagine that a ball starting three feet outside offstump, and then hitting middle, can be played.
The Laughable thing was, the commentators were wondering why the Indian batsmen were leaving the ball!

I mean if the ball starts three feet outside off stump, you leave the ball because you can bet your life it isnt going to come crashing into middle.. Amazing bowling..

Langeveldt

Soutie
Oh yep his names Parmar, and I hope they don't let him anywhere near international cricket before he has been tested..

Where's Tariq Mahmood gone? The "worse than Murali arm" from 2002?

Loony BoB

International Captain
I get the feeling that within the next five years, testing is going to be something close to compulsory for all international bowlers.

Autobahn

State 12th Man
Yeah bruce yardley and jackman picked up on it in one of the semi-finals but i can't remember which one for sure. I have a feeling it was one of the indian off-spinners in the semi-final but i can't be sure.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Loony BoB said:
I get the feeling that within the next five years, testing is going to be something close to compulsory for all international bowlers.
lets hope so, although with 15 degrees tolerance its a bit pointless.. Isnt 15 degrees waay too much?

Loony BoB

International Captain
I've not seen anyone use 15 degrees to suddenly have some action that doesn't look like bowling at all, nor have I seen a bowler use it to gain some hugely unhealthy advantage or become unplayable from a 15 degree action... so nah. As long as there's a standard and batsmen are still hitting bowling attacks out of the park for 300+ runs, then I'm not bothered at all. Anything that isn't bad to the naked eye to the average cricket follower is doing alright. People pay too much attention to it these days. Probably more of a story for another thread, though. :p Congrats to Pakistan.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
lets hope so, although with 15 degrees tolerance its a bit pointless.. Isnt 15 degrees waay too much?
Anything below 15 degrees is impossible to reliably detect with the naked eye (this was the result of a study done by UWA). Initially, it was something like 8 degrees, but after the report, the ICC (correctly) changed it. There is no point in having a tolerence thats below the ability of the umpires to detect. What happens is, if its below 15 degrees, our ability to pick it out becomes unreliable. Glenn McGrath, with a great classical action, is not a 'chucker' by any means, but even he bends his arm 10+ degrees and was technically a chucker by the old standards.

Last edited:

Langeveldt

Soutie
Loony BoB said:
I've not seen anyone use 15 degrees to suddenly have some action that doesn't look like bowling at all, nor have I seen a bowler use it to gain some hugely unhealthy advantage or become unplayable from a 15 degree action... so nah. As long as there's a standard and batsmen are still hitting bowling attacks out of the park for 300+ runs, then I'm not bothered at all. Anything that isn't bad to the naked eye to the average cricket follower is doing alright. People pay too much attention to it these days. Probably more of a story for another thread, though. :p Congrats to Pakistan.
I'm more worried about the dominance that these Doosra (possibly dodgy) boys have over orthodox off spin and slow left arm bowlers.. Not bat over ball, Maybe we should just say bowl how you like, would certainly make the game interesting!

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
Langeveldt said:
Everyone loves them until they start taking wickets against your team/you..
not true. i had a chucker in my team. i at training every ball he bowled i yelled Chucker! he didnt like it. now he's back to australia...makes you wonder :D :laugh:

Langeveldt

Soutie
kwek said:
not true. i had a chucker in my team. i at training every ball he bowled i yelled Chucker! he didnt like it. now he's back to australia...makes you wonder :D :laugh:
we had a guy who chucked it, we all yelled chucker and he re-modelled his action..

A moral for us all there..

Autobahn

State 12th Man
kwek said:
The dressing room conversations must have been difficult at best...:laugh: