• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Under 19 World Cup 2020

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm not convinced they pick on talent alone.

How did White make that side? He looks so completely out of his depth against any half decent attack.

Not claiming nepotism, mind.
Oh I think it probably is employee fear of dropping him that's got him up to a record-breaking number of New Zealand U19 Youth ODIs (17), especially seeing they had alternatives who were in form and of an adequate standard, possibly better than adequate. As for how White got into the selection frame in the first place, scoring quite a few hundreds for Auckland Grammar, a good U17 national tournament, a hundred for the Maori Schoolboys XI last autumn in a 620-run game, against an attack that was sort of halfway between Wellington A and Wellington B standard.

As we've seen with his Japan 80, can strike a ball when given very easy assignments. Just doesn't like swing, spin, 135+ short balls. A minnow basher, basically.

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
We now have semi finalists

India vs Pakistan
New Zealand vs Bangladesh

Three sub continent teams. Shows how well our boys have performed.

Afghanistan's half the team is well over age. They continue to do this in the hope they may win a tourney but that is not helping. Hopefully they will realize this is detrimental to their youth cricket growth in the long run. Some of them looked mid 20s.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
The late birth registration thing and fudging of age in age limit cricket is amazingly prevalent in Pak, Afg and BD. It is almost systemic to the SC culture but at least the BCCI have finally taken some measures to eradicate those. I dunno if the bone density tests etc are too costly for the other boards. Can't be true for Pak at least.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
They continue to insist Naseem Shah is 16, he's still obviously very young and a great prospect, but he must be at least a couple of years older than that.

nzfan

The late birth registration thing and fudging of age in age limit cricket is amazingly prevalent in Pak, Afg and BD. It is almost systemic to the SC culture but at least the BCCI have finally taken some measures to eradicate those. I dunno if the bone density tests etc are too costly for the other boards. Can't be true for Pak at least.
There was a funny instance couple of years ago (maybe 2016). The Nepalese captain wouldn't take his helmet off for the duration of the tournament. Eventually when he did a Mumbai cricketer came out in social media that this bloke playing for U19 Nepal had played age group cricket in Mumbai some 7 or 8 years ago making him 26 or 28 something like that. The dude first played in India then went back to Nepal and ended up playing for Nepal in an U19 international even when he was likely 28.... This was brought to ICC's notice but it was way too late and the only document they go by is what is provided by the cricket board. ICC cannot or should not go about investigating ages of the players. It's up to the board to be honest about it. India used to be very bad but this year they have clamped down on that thanks to Rahul Dravid. That was one of Rahul Dravid's objectives when he was with the under 19s.

Beamer

Played boys. Apart from the end of the NZ match they've done us proud.

No idea why Seales didn't bowl against NZ, he looked good again today .

SillyCowCorner1

Played boys. Apart from the end of the NZ match they've done us proud.

No idea why Seales didn't bowl against NZ, he looked good again today .
Well it was a good consolation win. We are a better team than this. Just that our had a captain* brain fade in the NZ game.

Seales is a strong man. I look forward to seeing more of him. He's been one of the players in this tournament that can make the transition into the senior team easily.

*- Melius reminds me of Carl Hooper with his floppy hat on.

Beamer

Well it was a good consolation win. We are a better team than this. Just that our had a captain* brain fade in the NZ game.

Seales is a strong man. I look forward to seeing more of him. He's been one of the players in this tournament that can make the transition into the senior team easily.

*- Melius reminds me of Carl Hooper with his floppy hat on.
Seales and Nedd are the two main standouts for me, they will be superb bowlers in all formats IMHO.

I'm also pretty sure Forde is going to be a superb bowler in a couple of years. For a 17 year old he has a lot of great attributes with movement, bounce and smarts.

Young looks like he will be an excellent white ball cricketer.

James has serious potential also but needs to sort his run up out. The guy bowls a nasty length and smacks the ball miles.

It's a shame none of the batsmen have really stood out. Julien looks like a serious talent but hasn't got the runs to show for it in this tournament.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
There was a funny instance couple of years ago (maybe 2016). The Nepalese captain wouldn't take his helmet off for the duration of the tournament. Eventually when he did a Mumbai cricketer came out in social media that this bloke playing for U19 Nepal had played age group cricket in Mumbai some 7 or 8 years ago making him 26 or 28 something like that. The dude first played in India then went back to Nepal and ended up playing for Nepal in an U19 international even when he was likely 28.... This was brought to ICC's notice but it was way too late and the only document they go by is what is provided by the cricket board. ICC cannot or should not go about investigating ages of the players. It's up to the board to be honest about it. India used to be very bad but this year they have clamped down on that thanks to Rahul Dravid. That was one of Rahul Dravid's objectives when he was with the under 19s.
Fair, but I do think there should be consequences for egregious cases like this (i.e. Nepal or whoever being banned from the next tournament). I remember one of the blokes from the 2010 Afghanistan U19 team looked like he was in his early 40's.

Daemon

Fair, but I do think there should be consequences for egregious cases like this (i.e. Nepal or whoever being banned from the next tournament). I remember one of the blokes from the 2010 Afghanistan U19 team looked like he was in his early 40's.
Since we're talking about the age groups I would like to once again bring up the 2007 ACC U15 Elite Cup in Nepal, where 8 of the 10 teams (including the hosts) were banned for fielding overage players. Singapore beat Kuwait in the only game of the tournament and clinched the trophy.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/22922249/

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Since we're talking about the age groups I would like to once again bring up the 2007 ACC U15 Elite Cup in Nepal, where 8 of the 10 teams (including the hosts) were banned for fielding overage players. Singapore beat Kuwait in the only game of the tournament and clinched the trophy.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/22922249/
I like that the UAE team got sent home early because they didn't have any UAE passport holders. Has to go down as one of the funniest serious articles I've ever read.

theegyptian

Don't think there are any standouts from this current England group. Normally there at least a couple that you think will play for England, but no-one obvious there with loads of talent.

Haynes, Charlesworth and Mousley all look like they will be at least good county bats.

Goldsworthy bowling stats were great but he looked pretty ordinary bowling his straight sla's. Probably more likely to be doing something else in 5 years time rather than being England's Ravindra Jadeja given the normal path young spinners take in the English game.
Qadri looks more promising imo. Could see him going on a lions 4 day tour in the next couple of years.

SillyCowCorner1

Seales and Nedd are the two main standouts for me, they will be superb bowlers in all formats IMHO.

I'm also pretty sure Forde is going to be a superb bowler in a couple of years. For a 17 year old he has a lot of great attributes with movement, bounce and smarts.

Young looks like he will be an excellent white ball cricketer.

James has serious potential also but needs to sort his run up out. The guy bowls a nasty length and smacks the ball miles.

It's a shame none of the batsmen have really stood out. Julien looks like a serious talent but hasn't got the runs to show for it in this tournament.
From what I have seen, I like the looks of Nedd as a cricketer and an individual. His father was a coach who worked with the likes of Keemo Paul (according to Ian Bishop). Taking his talents to FC cricket will be interesting because we have: i) Permaul and ii) Gudakesh Motie-Kanhai. Since it is a franchise setup, I can see him in one of the Islands team.
I honestly think that the FC competition needs another team: a developmental/HP/Under-21 team.

Loads of talent in the region. They are young.

thierry henry

International Coach
How about the other day I'm watching Afghanistan and some bloke (bloke being the appropriate word) comes out to bat and is supposed to be 14. 14! And he looks just as much like a man as the rest of them. It's like they think mixing up the ages makes it seem less obvious?

On a related note, I noticed that Babar Azam was only just 15 when he played for Pakistan in the 2009/10 World Cup, and then at barely 17 he was captain in 2011/12. Presumably he was still eligible for 2013/14.

That led me to 2 observations - (a) it's surprising he didn't play for Pakistan until the ripe old age of 20, and (b) does this mean Babar is probably older than 25? In any other like case I would assume so.

srbhkshk

International Captain
How about the other day I'm watching Afghanistan and some bloke (bloke being the appropriate word) comes out to bat and is supposed to be 14. 14! And he looks just as much like a man as the rest of them. It's like they think mixing up the ages makes it seem less obvious?

On a related note, I noticed that Babar Azam was only just 15 when he played for Pakistan in the 2009/10 World Cup, and then at barely 17 he was captain in 2011/12. Presumably he was still eligible for 2013/14.

That led me to 2 observations - (a) it's surprising he didn't play for Pakistan until the ripe old age of 20, and (b) does this mean Babar is probably older than 25? In any other like case I would assume so.
There's a very fair chance that practically everyone's age in the SC circuit is deflated by a couple of years, it's a very common practice as it helps in keeping the guys eligible for most jobs (not only sports) for more time. The obvious cases which we end up noticing are probably changed by something like 5-6 years.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year

Sounds like he's the 21st century version of Hasan Raza.