• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Under 19 World Cup 2020

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The ICC said this about the Australian's comments:

"such language has no place in society and falls well short of the standards we expect"

Finally someone calling out Facebook commentary.
I hope the ICC investigates the replies to AB de Villiers's instagram posts.

I feel like there's some major denial around the nature of Indian sports fandom going on in regards to this 'story'

Last edited:

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Like the look of van Vuuren. With Marco Jansen and Burger around some quality left-arm seamer potential for SA.

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
One more hurdle for our lads and through to the finals. I'd rather they face Pakistan than South Africa. At home South Africa will be handful. Pakistan will be obviously talented and good but they can go hot or cold like West Indies did. We will have better chance than clinical South African side.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
One more hurdle for our lads and through to the finals. I'd rather they face Pakistan than South Africa. At home South Africa will be handful. Pakistan will be obviously talented and good but they can go hot or cold like West Indies did. We will have better chance than clinical South African side.
Not a clinical SA side... lots of holes in the batting particularly.

Flem274*

123/5
so the elite talent of the australians leave the tournament on a whimper getting berated for social media use while the squad half full of blokes who came dead last at nz nationals have randomly h4xed their way into a semi.

Heboric

International Debutant
Was it the West Indies side who mankading in the final in a previous tournament, i seem to remember

Beamer

so the elite talent of the australians leave the tournament on a whimper getting berated for social media use while the squad half full of blokes who came dead last at nz nationals have randomly h4xed their way into a semi.
Triumph of common sense tbh. That 9th wicket partnership just played it so tactically well. Admittedly they got dropped lots of times but I feel they were making mostly the right choices. That gets you a long way.

Beamer

The truth is not all under 19 players go on to play professional cricket. If 1 to 4 players can play for the senior team in the years to come and excel the job is done. Winning or losing here doesn't necessarily matter, it's only cosmetic. Seales is good man... good pace, bounce and a smart cricketer. Reminded me lot of Rabada from the 2014 world cup in UAE. He was like this then. As long as these lads don't get hammered by the lure of T20 leagues around the world and work towards playing for the nation they'll be fine.

Some of the lads won't make the cut to the next level and some will probably not play cricket after few years. This is the reality so you have to keep perspective. The only idea about under 19 is to introduce them to professional cricket at an early stage and give them a taste of it. One tournament should not make or break a player.

Just to give you a perspective, the current Black Caps players Guptill, Munro, Hamish Bennett, Tim Southee were all part of the 2006 world cup. We did so bad, we lost twice to Nepal. Probably lost most of the games in the first round, got to the plate finals and lost to Nepal. That didn't stop these guys from progressing. If majority of the 19s make it to first class the job is done. Win is icing on the cake.
Tbh we really really need some of the batting to progress. If 2 or 3 of the batsmen come through it will make all the difference. We have a wealth of bowling talent but are going through a prolonged batting crisis. So if Julien, Melius, Mckenzie or Anderson do come through it will be great. Our problem is that some countries have really backward selection policies for FC cricket. Barbados in particular insist on picking journeymen and making the kids wait.

Our List A competition was won by an emerging side made up of people who hadn't been picked for their territory. They need to introduce the same for FC cricket and let some of these guys get some FC experience.

From the last few world cups we have Pooran, Alzari Joseph, Hetmeyer and Keemo Paul as regulars and Chemar Holder looks like he's about to make the step up. Fingers crossed.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Why didn't Terblanche make this side?
I don't know enough about it to be sure. It could be a quota thing or something else entirely. He was part of the U19 squad until very recently and has been playing for Boland. The only constant in scoring runs have been Bird and Parsons... not just this tournament but for awhile.

Neil Young

State Vice-Captain
I'm not convinced they pick on talent alone.

How did White make that side? He looks so completely out of his depth against any half decent attack.

Not claiming nepotism, mind.

Last edited:

Neil Young

State Vice-Captain
I don't know enough about it to be sure. It could be a quota thing or something else entirely. He was part of the U19 squad until very recently and has been playing for Boland. The only constant in scoring runs have been Bird and Parsons... not just this tournament but for awhile.
Bird looked good today. I haven't seen enough of Parsons. Will Coetzee make it? Obviously has pace.

Always disappointing to see the home nation out early, so hope you get over the line today. Not sure I fancy you to from here, though.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Bird looked good today. I haven't seen enough of Parsons. Will Coetzee make it? Obviously has pace.

Always disappointing to see the home nation out early, so hope you get over the line today. Not sure I fancy you to from here, though.
Bird or Parsons have to get a decent score for the team to do well. It seems when those two get out early rest of the team struggles to get to 200. Bird looks like a gangly Graeme Smith. Coetzee has pace, but it is his accuracy and movement that is impressive. Coetzee can also hit a long ball.

Heboric

International Debutant
Now that was pathetic,. Coach is untouchable.Had a bad feeling when we chose to field first

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Callout the coach but the senior team just fell apart against a part-timer in Root and played Bess like he was Murali and I didn’t hear anything said about what Kallis is doing. Seemingly every year CSA is sending guys out to India for spin camps and have emerging tours in Asia and this is what they get for their return. It’s not good enough and players need to take some responsibility and individually figure out a way to score against spin as opposed to just sweeping or running down the wicket as a collective.

Look at Neil McKenzie, when he first debuted for South Africa, he couldn’t play spin, after 7 test matches in the subcontinent he had a highest score of 35. He came back in 2008 and scored two hundreds in Asia and close to 600 runs in 5 test matches playing in a way which worked for him – he wasn’t copying Kallis or Amla.

Heboric

International Debutant
Callout the coach but the senior team just fell apart against a part-timer in Root and played Bess like he was Murali and I didn’t hear anything said about what Kallis is doing. Seemingly every year CSA is sending guys out to India for spin camps and have emerging tours in Asia and this is what they get for their return. It’s not good enough and players need to take some responsibility and individually figure out a way to score against spin as opposed to just sweeping or running down the wicket as a collective.

Look at Neil McKenzie, when he first debuted for South Africa, he couldn’t play spin, after 7 test matches in the subcontinent he had a highest score of 35. He came back in 2008 and scored two hundreds in Asia and close to 600 runs in 5 test matches playing in a way which worked for him – he wasn’t copying Kallis or Amla.
Thing is its been accumulating, the results have been poor for a long time and at home to top it off. Not just some once off result.