• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Under 19 World Cup 2020

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
That's a great win by the lads. Last time we made semis was when Kane captained New Zealand U19s and Kohli India under 19s.

Quite a hard fought win this and the twice in a row New Zealand snatched the victory from what was a sure defeat. Great work.

Beamer

I mean, it’s U19. Work on what? The team will never exist again with the same group of players.
Mental strength in tough situations. You say that but at least 3 of our Under 19 winning side from a few years ago play regularly for the senior side and they all have something about them, a certain amount of mental strength which got them through tough situations.

Beamer

I'm pleased for us but disappointed for the WI and Ian Bishop! Can't believe we quite managed that.

Seales must have been injured. He would have won the game for you.
Your boys held it together far more than us this game. Tbh I thought this was a poor performance all around from us. Boneheaded shots from the lower middle order followed by lots of dropped catches and the overuse of slower balls. It was a cruel lesson in knockout match cricket for our guys who had been very impressive up until today.

I'd be surprised if Seales, Julien, Anderson and Young don't play at least A team cricket in the next 2 years or so. Forde could also be great, he's only 17. i enjoyed watching our guys and am hopeful for the future. It is now vital that Cricket West Indies put an Emerging Players team in place for 4 day cricket next year so they get some exposure at FC level.

Good luck to NZ in the next round, I hope they go on and win it.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Classic U19 result here, the kind of thing that would almost never happen at the professional level. Bad luck WI, they've looked like an immensely talented team from what I've seen so far. But really proud of the NZ boys, this is a fairly middling team by our standards but they've shown real heart in crunch situations.

nzfan

Your boys held it together far more than us this game. Tbh I thought this was a poor performance all around from us. Boneheaded shots from the lower middle order followed by lots of dropped catches and the overuse of slower balls. It was a cruel lesson in knockout match cricket for our guys who had been very impressive up until today.

I'd be surprised if Seales, Julien, Anderson and Young don't play at least A team cricket in the next 2 years or so. Forde could also be great, he's only 17. i enjoyed watching our guys and am hopeful for the future. It is now vital that Cricket West Indies put an Emerging Players team in place for 4 day cricket next year so they get some exposure at FC level.

Good luck to NZ in the next round, I hope they go on and win it.
The truth is not all under 19 players go on to play professional cricket. If 1 to 4 players can play for the senior team in the years to come and excel the job is done. Winning or losing here doesn't necessarily matter, it's only cosmetic. Seales is good man... good pace, bounce and a smart cricketer. Reminded me lot of Rabada from the 2014 world cup in UAE. He was like this then. As long as these lads don't get hammered by the lure of T20 leagues around the world and work towards playing for the nation they'll be fine.

Some of the lads won't make the cut to the next level and some will probably not play cricket after few years. This is the reality so you have to keep perspective. The only idea about under 19 is to introduce them to professional cricket at an early stage and give them a taste of it. One tournament should not make or break a player.

Just to give you a perspective, the current Black Caps players Guptill, Munro, Hamish Bennett, Tim Southee were all part of the 2006 world cup. We did so bad, we lost twice to Nepal. Probably lost most of the games in the first round, got to the plate finals and lost to Nepal. That didn't stop these guys from progressing. If majority of the 19s make it to first class the job is done. Win is icing on the cake.

Last edited:

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Found some highlights of NZ-WI on the icc website.

Amazing to look out of it when they needed 86 with 2 wickets in hand, then need 44 from 23, and still do it. WI would be gutted, especially with dropped catches.

Couple of great performances from Clarke - hope he can add a bit to his (quite medium-paced) bowling over the next few years to move up to the next level.

jcas0167

International Debutant
Found some highlights of NZ-WI on the icc website.

Amazing to look out of it when they needed 86 with 2 wickets in hand, then need 44 from 23, and still do it. WI would be gutted, especially with dropped catches.

Couple of great performances from Clarke - hope he can add a bit to his (quite medium-paced) bowling over the next few years to move up to the next level.
Yeah, terrific efforts under pressure and various handy contributions from the others without anyone getting a big score. I see on that last wicket the speedball radar for Clarke showed 131 kph. Definitely looks like he will be pushing for ND selection in the next year or so.

The team have massively exceeded expectations making the semis after their pre-tournament form. Quite an achievement bearing in mind the more illustrious 2016 and 2018 squads didn't progress this far.

Last edited:

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
One thing I have noticed about Clarke is that he does collapse a bit through his delivery stride and action, if he can get a bit more upright that may help add a couple of extra kph. Already though, he does look like quite a talent with both bat and ball

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
So apparently the Australian U19 batsmen are all going to get spanked for doing very accurate impressions of Indian fans on Facebook and Youtube.

stephen

So apparently the Australian U19 batsmen are all going to get spanked for doing very accurate impressions of Indian fans on Facebook and Youtube.
Yeah, hopefully it motivates them to spank the Indian bowlers instead.

stephen

Does anyone remember when Henriques was the future of Australian cricket based on an under 19 world cup?

stephen

The ICC said this about the Australian's comments:

"such language has no place in society and falls well short of the standards we expect"

Finally someone calling out Facebook commentary.