• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* UK off-season 2009/10

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What's the ECB recreational XI like? Will it just be a bunch of amatures or pro club cricketers/former first-class cricketers?

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
There are rumours of Rory Hamilton-Brown being offered a £150k pa salary to return to Surrey, possibly as captain. :-O

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
what i heard for top earners

£160k Mark Ramprakash (Surrey)
£150k Steve Harmison (Durham)
£140k Stephen Moore (Lancs)
£130k Stephen Davies (Surrey)
£130k Owais Shah (Middx)
£125k Ed Joyce (Sussex)
£120k Marcus Trescothick (Somerset)

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain

£130k Owais Shah (Middx)
£125k Ed Joyce (Sussex)
Wow, I genuinely thought that Ramps' basic salary would be half that.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Surrey's approach for RHB has been officially confirmed by Sussex. The offer of the captaincy has also been reported by the Brighton Evening Argus and the Daily Telegraph. Apparently he's said he'll give his decision within a month.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire

£130k Owais Shah (Middx)
£125k Ed Joyce (Sussex)
Any idea on an 'average' wage

There are footballers at League One level earning similar/more than Ramprakash, just wondering how the averages compare

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Surrey's approach for RHB has been officially confirmed by Sussex. The offer of the captaincy has also been reported by the Brighton Evening Argus and the Daily Telegraph. Apparently he's said he'll give his decision within a month.
Giving the captaincy to an unproven 23-year-old?

WTF are they thinking?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Must say it'd be very odd for H-B to decide to up sticks and leave Surrey then go back within a couple of years too thinking about it.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Any idea on an 'average' wage

There are footballers at League One level earning similar/more than Ramprakash, just wondering how the averages compare
Give me a few mins and Ill post some interesting links on this issue. Ill have to find them first in my book marks.

They also back up what I was saying previously about Hoggard and Yorkshires unwillingness to pay for players and on the fact hat I know many talented young cricketers turn down playing cricket as the money was ****e.

EDIT added. One or two years old but still will be accurate as well after T20 and Central contracts introduced.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/cr...rt-Players-thrive-on-steep-earning-curve.html
Surrey av wage = 60 000
Yorks av wage = 30 000
A few Eng qualified players on 100 000+
Steve James earned 25 000 in 1997 when he scored 1700+ runs

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/cr...cricket-wage-scale-less-than-first-class.html
Senior players earning 80 000+
Some young players earning less than min wage
Some players on 3000 for the season

I will quote you Jeff Hammond, an Australian in charge at Glamorgan for two seasons. In his very first speech to the troops he said: "I've just looked at the fixture list and can't believe it. You play so much!" Nothing like a bit of research.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2007/sep/18/countieswarmtosalarycapide
On County cricket finances
Salary cap

Last edited:

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Must say it'd be very odd for H-B to decide to up sticks and leave Surrey then go back within a couple of years too thinking about it.
There's a fair amount of flitting back and forth between Sussex and Surrey - Hodd, Pigott, Saqlain all spring to mind as players who've gone one way and then back again

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
There's a fair amount of flitting back and forth between Sussex and Surrey - Hodd, Pigott, Saqlain all spring to mind as players who've gone one way and then back again
True now you mention it (had clean forgotten Hodd did thus and TBH don't even know the particulars of Pigott's domestic career, only know he was one of the luckiest Test players of modern times and was Sussex CEO at some point). Very strange.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
True now you mention it (had clean forgotten Hodd did thus and TBH don't even know the particulars of Pigott's domestic career, only know he was one of the luckiest Test players of modern times and was Sussex CEO at some point). Very strange.
TBF I'm not sure that Pigott returned to us as a player - it may just have been as manager.