• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Trans-Tasman Twenty20 Tri-Series

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
Have NZ actually won a final or knockout match against Australia ever? Probably not since we won one final in 1980/81.

Must have a horrendous record. I blame the underarm/Sneddon incident.
They've never done it in Australia but I suppose if you count the deciding match of a CH tournament I'm pretty certain they've done it a few times.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Appropriate end to a joke of a series.

Hope it's never repeated - at least, not in the way the fixtures were setup.
I was actually just thinking this would be better as a quadrangular series, given the scheduling of one of the teams not playing a match for ages while the other plays all the matches in one country before moving onto the next. But the possibility of 2 overseas teams appearing in a final would be unpalatable to ACB and NZC.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
Re: Duckworth/Lewis, bringing in Agar was probably more risky than realised because it was treated as the equivalent of a Maxwell or Finch wicket in terms of the target so that because of his dismissal Australia had to get a higher par score even though they had saved their best bats for lower down the order.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
True that. That series lasted forever for such a short series. Still, nice to see Aus win in our weakest format.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
I But the possibility of 2 overseas teams appearing in a final would be unpalatable to ACB and NZC.
Indeed. Taylor & S. Waugh's fates as ODI captain were effectively sealed when their sides failed to qualify for the triangular ODI finals in 96/97 & 01/02 respectively (the only times from 1980/81 and 2007/08 that Oz failed to make the finals of that format)

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
Indeed. Taylor & S. Waugh's fates as ODI captain were effectively sealed when their sides failed to qualify for the triangular ODI finals in 96/97 & 01/02 respectively (the only times from 1980/81 and 2007/08 that Oz failed to make the finals of that format)
01/02 World Series, another final NZ collapsed in a heap in.

Speaking of quad series, this series reminded me of the 1995 NZ centenary quad series with Aus, SA and India. Because we limped into the final where we were humiliated by Aus in both. I vote that all future NZ hosted tri or quad series are decided by standings at the end of the group games, with no final.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
01/02 World Series, another final NZ collapsed in a heap in.
Even in that series, after NZ had beaten Australia 3 times in a row, in their final match NZ had the chance to knock Oz out and after scoring 245, reduced Oz to 6/82... and lost. It took South Africa to knock Oz out in the final qualifying match.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Re: Duckworth/Lewis, bringing in Agar was probably more risky than realised because it was treated as the equivalent of a Maxwell or Finch wicket in terms of the target so that because of his dismissal Australia had to get a higher par score even though they had saved their best bats for lower down the order.
I never even thought of that. Really dumb in hindsight.

Even in that series, after NZ had beaten Australia 3 times in a row, in their final match NZ had the chance to knock Oz out and after scoring 245, reduced Oz to 6/82... and lost. It took South Africa to knock Oz out in the final qualifying match.
That was a funny series, NZ had the edge over Australia all series, Australia dominated SA all series, and SA dominated NZ all series. It was like a Rock, Scissors, Paper scenario.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't know if Seifert could lay claim to being the best of anything, wicketkeeper wise. Gloveman? Definitely not. Might be near the worst on what we've seen. Opening bat? As much as he had a decent T20 domestic campaign this summer, Phillips' was much more impressive the year before. Finisher? Hard to say, given he hasn't done it much. Cleaver has done some good things finishing for CD, and Phillips never got a chance. Blundell has had his moments for Wellington too, hell even de Boorder won a game off his own bat v Auckland.

It's just his turn on the merry go-round.

Flem274*

123/5
Phillips looked like a complete hack when put up against real bowlers. he was genuinely terrible hanging the bat out halfway to point against Pakistan.

Based off FC footage and hit and giggle internationals I think Seifert is the best batsman of the young keepers, but his actual keeping is the equivalent of Phillips facing Amir.

I haven't seen enough of Cleaver to comment and Blundell is like a compromise between Seifert and Phillips.

It's basically confirmed Watlings value yet again.

sunilz

International Regular
NZ have won only 4 series involving 3 or more teams. Last one in 2005. So this wasn't unexpected

Zinzan

B-but...Howsie said he's the best young keeper in the country!
Yup, I've been meaning to say for about a week now that it's a shame he can't keep for jam since he's clearly got some talent with the bat.

_Ed_

Congrats to Australia - by far the best team throughout the tournament. Hugely impressive.

Bit of a disappointing end to the final. Australia were obviously in a commanding position, but I thought we clawed it back nicely with those three quick wickets and it could have become quite interesting with one or two more. But now we'll never know.

The umpires seemed a bit over-cautious to me. In the first interruption, the rain had pretty much stopped by the time they made it off the field. But they wasted a whole lot of time by getting the ground staff to drag the thingamajig around the outfield. That didn't leave much time up their sleeve when the second (more significant) shower came across.

Ah well. The corporate box was interesting. A pretty good view, plus padded seat and leg room. I also got treated completely differently to any other time I've been to a cricket game. I went there straight from work and didn't want to leave my laptop bag in my car, so I took it in with me - it didn't even get checked. It could have been completely full of vodka and projectiles, for all they knew. But all I got was a, "Right this way, sir." They seem to treat corporate box folk as a different class of people.

There was supposed to be one plate of dinner for every person in the box, but I was out in the seats watching the cricket (strange thing to do at a cricket game, apparently), and by the time I went inside, no dinners remained.

I'm pretty happy in the cheap seats, tbf.

Zinzan

I think it was Flem who yesterday wrote that NZ only really have two T20 batsmen currently in Munro and Guptill (with CDG being a very good batting allrounder), and the young fellas still being untested.

Well I hate to be that guy, but are Southee and Boult actually T20 bowlers? Neither can land the yorker consistently, Boult's slower balls are ordinary and not very deceptive, Southee's is slightly better, but any normal Southee delivery is cannon fodder, so between the two of them they lack the variety and accuracy in their varieties as proper T20 pace bowlers around the world. Good Test and 50 over bowlers, for sure, but exposed in this shortest for.

Sodhi and Santner are our only 2 decent T20 bowlers if we're honest.

_Ed_

I'm not sure what's happened to Boult's T20 bowling. He was outstanding about a year ago. This game, for example, where he took 2-8 in a score of 185.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Actually thought Seifert picked the slider from Sodhi - it's just that it happened to grip and turn, sometimes with the moisture that had been around those balls behave differently. Was ordinary keeping technique, but think people are harsh saying he didn't pick it.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Actually thought Seifert picked the slider from Sodhi - it's just that it happened to grip and turn, sometimes with the moisture that had been around those balls behave differently. Was ordinary keeping technique, but think people are harsh saying he didn't pick it.
Yeah the commentary during that period was terrible. He picked it - they didn't.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
You're right, that's a simpleton's viewpoint on such an instance (and I only speak for myself and the commentators on that). I didn't watch the replay because I'd thrown my head back in frustration, presuming he'd been watching an over of wrong-uns and had forgotten to actually watch the hand. Having said that, he's exhibited previously the art of bat-watching over ball watching.

Never been a spinner so it surprises me a bit that a slider can turn that sharply. No wonder Agar or Seifert got near it if so.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I think it was Flem who yesterday wrote that NZ only really have two T20 batsmen currently in Munro and Guptill (with CDG being a very good batting allrounder), and the young fellas still being untested.

Well I hate to be that guy, but are Southee and Boult actually T20 bowlers? Neither can land the yorker consistently, Boult's slower balls are ordinary and not very deceptive, Southee's is slightly better, but any normal Southee delivery is cannon fodder, so between the two of them they lack the variety and accuracy in their varieties as proper T20 pace bowlers around the world. Good Test and 50 over bowlers, for sure, but exposed in this shortest for.

Sodhi and Santner are our only 2 decent T20 bowlers if we're honest.
It feels like shooting Bambi but I agree (in regards to Boult). Southee is a pretty decent death bowler, hits the hole well. When he bowls length, man alive is he hittable. Boult never seems to even want to try to hit yorker length, and yeah his slower balls really offer nothing - compare them to Tye, Stoinis (who really surprised me how great his were last night) and Richardson. But as I've said in other posts, it's the amount of quality T20 cricket those guys are exposed to.

Look at this stat: Trent debuted in T20 domestic cricket in 2009 and has played 74 matches. Tye debuted in 2014 and has played 70. Add to that the fact Tye's are high-quality nearly every time out, in the BBL and IPL. Trent has played some IPL but not consistently, and the rest is ND/NZ - ie rungs below quality-wise. Tye isn't a FC bowler, also. Probably stands to reason without any particular criticism that Boult and Southee spent less of their time trying to become great T20 bowlers, therefore are lesser T20 bowlers.