• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Third Test at the WACA

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Smith looks crap, but he seems to score runs domestically and if he scores runs in tests then who cares?
I think we can look forward - or not - to a lot less aesthetically pleasing young players coming through as more and more improvisation becomes the norm through more and more short form cricket.

hazsa19

International Regular
I think we can look forward - or not - to a lot less aesthetically pleasing young players coming through as more and more improvisation becomes the norm through more and more short form cricket.
that's why i wish one day cricket would **** off. Really just cannot understand the fixation with it. It promotes mediocrity.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah looks better than I thought he did does young Smith. Obviously havent seen enough of him, but certainly looks like he could at least be test class. Not sure about Hughes though.
Not so sure about that. It's the first time I've really got to see him bat, and I'm not that impressed. Seemed to be jumping all over the place. As a batsman you don't want to be jumping into line, you want to come from a solid place. He seemed unsure when going forward and wasn't making a big enough stride. Although, I will agree there is potential there, but something that should be worked on more in first class cricket than test cricket where the pressure isn't as intense.

Mister Wright

I don't think Hughes will be a long-term liability. He is the kind of player who needs to get some rhythm and settle his nerves, and constantly shifting him in and out of the team isn't going to aid his performance. It's kind of good that Katich is out injured for a while, because it should give him an extended opportunity to get back into the swing of things. I just hope that the selectors don't do something rash like dropping him and using Khawaja as an opener.
Hughes will never be a long term prospect for Australia. His technique just isn't good enough.

Ruckus

International Captain
Far out, at least 3, probably 4, of those dismissals were garbage shots from the batsmen...This test is going in exactly the same direction as Adelaide...

Mike5181

International Captain
that's why i wish one day cricket would **** off. Really just cannot understand the fixation with it. It promotes mediocrity.
I would accept that if the number of tests increased and that test championship turns out to be legit.

Anyone think Anderson is the world number 2 pace bowler in the world behind Steyn?

Last edited:

tridibans

Cricket Spectator
I am sorry if it has been discussed already, Is it just me or the WACA pitch has actually more pace and bounce than the previous couple of years.

hazsa19

International Regular
I think cricket as a whole could be much healthier if odi contests were limited to 3 matches, 2 twenty20s, but a mandatory 3 tests per series.

Get Bangladesh to **** off

AND if the icc actually rewarded nations for preparing good wickets.

tridibans

Cricket Spectator
Hughes will never be a long term prospect for Australia. His technique just isn't good enough.
I guess its time to try out Warner. Even if just for 1 match, if he gets going, atleast Australia will be 5/200 till tea:cool:
p.s: dont quite rate him as a test player personally.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I would accept that if the number of tests increased and that test championship turns out to be legit.

Anyone think Anderson is the world number 2 pace bowler in the world behind Steyn?
Think he's been nowhere near as good today as Brisbane and Adelaide.

With decent reason I should say.

Last edited:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Yeah, but is that going to get you runs against a properly disciplined Test attack? It's all very well averaging 70 in Shield cricket, but it's becoming increasingly apparent that domestic stats are no guarantee of transfer to the highest level: is there sufficient challenge of a player's discipline and patience?

Whilst unorthodox techniques will briefly flourish in the shorter formats of the game, Test cricket is so named for a reason - and I don't think it's much coincidence that the world greats are still consistently the ones with the best techniques. Yes, there will always be exceptions, but it's important - I think - to look at the fundamentals: balance and weight transfer (Sehwag).

Where were either of those key skills in Smith's dismissal? It looked like Anthony McGrath getting himself out in all kinds of novel manners vs SA in summer 03. The word I used then, and the one that instantly came to mind just now, was "tail ender".

PS: Just seen the wickets. Hughes' shot was what, exactly? Also, Collingwood.

Mister Wright

I guess its time to try out Warner. Even if just for 1 match, if he gets going, atleast Australia will be 5/200 till tea:cool:
p.s: dont quite rate him as a test player personally.
Haha. Warner in the test side. :laugh: We'd have to go through every single opener in Australia before Warner gets selected surely.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
I think cricket as a whole could be much healthier if odi contests were limited to 3 matches, 2 twenty20s, but a mandatory 3 tests per series.

Get Bangladesh to **** off

AND if the icc actually rewarded nations for preparing good wickets.
The schedule for the upcoming NZ Pak series is quite sickening. 3 20/20s and **** knows how many pointless ODIs.