• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Third Test at Old Trafford

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah look, if anyone slags Clarke in these circumstances if his declaration leaves England a good shot at winning, they're an idiot. 2-0 down, draw no good to him and the threat of some rain.

Sometimes you need to risk losing in order to win.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Just waiting for that weren't you?
Sure was. Today I had just copied and pasted it ready and bam, next ball Swann was out, that's why I was so quick to post it after the wicket.

Of course the banana gif was more important than my assignment which is due tomorrow night.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah look, if anyone slags Clarke in these circumstances if his declaration leaves England a good shot at winning, they're an idiot. 2-0 down, draw no good to him and the threat of some rain.

I agree but you have to leave England with time to bat to save the game and the carrot of winning if they score at 3.5 an over.

Leaving England 4 sessions to chase 270 would allow them to win if they just bat time and there isnt too much weather interference. No point giving yourself 4 sessions to bowl England out when they can knock them off in 3.

Burgey

I agree but you have to leave England with time to bat to save the game and the carrot of winning if they score at 3.5 an over.

Leaving England 4 sessions to chase 270 would allow them to win if they just bat time and there isnt too much weather interference. No point giving yourself 4 sessions to bowl England out when they can knock them off in 3.
True that. It's a time game as much as a runs game. In any event, if Australia goes hard this session they could easily be rolled just after tea anyways.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year

He will cop crap however he plays this, he's in a no win situation (unless he wins:unsure:). This wicket is still batting well and that's not going to change.......his best chance of taking 10 wickets is to set a target England think they can chase, keeping in mind England are not going to go for anything remotely tricky it is going to have to be a very sporting declaration.

120 in the next session and declare just after tea, 4 sessions to bowl us out and just over 300 for England to chase to win.............I don't think he can afford to factor in the rain, has to plan this with the expectation of full play.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
Anyone else think a sporting declaration is moot. Cook will just bat out the draw unless we roll them which is very unlikely.

Burgey

He will cop crap however he plays this, he's in a no win situation (unless he wins:unsure:). This wicket is still batting well and that's not going to change.......his best chance of taking 10 wickets is to set a target England think they can chase, keeping in mind England are not going to go for anything remotely tricky it is going to have to be a very sporting declaration.

120 in the next session and declare just after tea, 4 sessions to bowl us out and just over 300 for England to chase to win.............I don't think he can afford to factor in the rain, has to plan this with the expectation of full play.
England will struggle to chase 300 or so in four sessions IMO. They do tend to score pretty slowly these days for the most part, and they've no incentive to go balls to the wall here. They'll rightly emphasise staying in and will just bat normally IMO.

But even if they do chase down whatever Clarke sets them, it makes no difference. A draw is no good to Australia, so he ought to err on the side of more than enough time IMO, even if he's, say, 20-30 shy if where he would like to ideally be.

telamelo

Cricket Spectator
Clarke am sure is keeping an eye out for weather radar forecast as to how much rain etc. due later today and into tomorrow - reckon give England 330-350 to chase but try and get them in tonight to have 2hrs at them in hopefully picking up 3 wickets by stumps.. still reckon Aussies will win this one.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
With rain considered so likely, he definitely has to factor it in. Remember a win is absolutely everything here, a draw or a loss would be as bad as each other in Australia's mind. They have to go very hard this session in my opinion, declare at tea and no later.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Khawaja's approach will be interesting, how many runs are needed? In how many overs? wonder how long Uzi will try and protect the middle order for