• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Third Test at Old Trafford

AlanJLegend

U19 Vice-Captain
Enormous morning session coming up for Australia. If we can get 3-4 wickets before lunch it will put us in good stead to win this test match. If England can get though unscathed it's likely to end up as a draw with England retaining the urn.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Rad Haddin having a good series with the cue, but neither keeper particularly excelling behind the stumps
He took a couple of good takes down the leg side actually which was nice to see. The kind of stuff that of late I've been expecting to either be four byes or at least parried away for a couple.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Not sure if Monty would have been all that effective. Croft talking about bowling it with lots of overspin to get it to bite into the wicket, and that's what Lyon does and he looked dangerous in the few overs I watched before going to bed.

Swann bowls with more sidespin than Lyon, and think he's looked more "dangerous" in other games this series, and Monty often bowls with the most sidespin out of all of them.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
How was Lyon on the rev counter?? I noticed Swann wasn't going into the red hardly at all yesterday whereas on day 1 he was giving it plenty........would that be due to more overspin than sidespin and something he's adjusted to suit the wicket??

Edit:

BTW, did they ever get Warnie out there giving it a rip with the rev counter on him?? What was he recording??

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
"If we don't win it's useless"

Brutal assessment of Clarke's ton, from the man himself. Love that sort of honesty from a sportsman.
Yeah I like it too. He said the exact same thing when he made that sensation 151 against SA (the 47 all out game) too.

social

How was Lyon on the rev counter?? I noticed Swann wasn't going into the red hardly at all yesterday whereas on day 1 he was giving it plenty........would that be due to more overspin than sidespin and something he's adjusted to suit the wicket??

Edit:

BTW, did they ever get Warnie out there giving it a rip with the rev counter on him?? What was he recording??
Lyon was getting up above 2300 at times

Guy has a good action, gives it a rip and has most of the tools required to be a success EXCEPT consistency and a coherent strategy, both of which will hopefully come with experience (people need to bear in mind that at a similar age, Swann had played more than twice as many matches but was still 3 years away from making his test debut)

I'm no great fan of offies in Oz conditions but the he has talent

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Good day for us. Can see Cook/Trott getting a 250+ partnership here though.
Obviously its possible and I'm not sure what you've been watching, but it would be more surprising that this pair makes that big a partnership now compared to almost any other time in their careers IMO.

In Trott's stay of 1 run - Cook almost got run out and would have been had Warner hit and Trott edged a ball half a foot in front of second slip's hands. Neither have looked that good, Cook gradually got a bit better though but was lucky to not be out from Lyon too.

I hate edges that don't carry btw, felt we missed a trick not having our slips a little closer with Siddle's bowling.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Obviously its possible and I'm not sure what you've been watching, but it would be more surprising that this pair makes that big a partnership now compared to almost any other time in their careers IMO.

In Trott's stay of 1 run - Cook almost got run out and would have been had Warner hit and Trott edged a ball half a foot in front of second slip's hands. Neither have looked that good, Cook gradually got a bit better though but was lucky to not be out from Lyon too.

I hate edges that don't carry btw, felt we missed a trick not having our slips a little closer with Siddle's bowling.
Didn't watch our batting innings in the early hours so certainly not disagreeing with you. Cook definitely hasn't looked good all series but Trott looks in very good nick to me (just keeps getting out LOL)

I was thinking about this this morning, I think it is critical for the mind games/momentum or whatever you want to call it that Cookie plays out a big one here (even in a losing cause)............he needs to see Clarkes 180 and raise it.

There is nothing more important than your best bat and skipper stamping his mark, Clarke has done that and it is important for England that Cook doesn't get left behind.

Edit:

Just for clarification, I don't mean that Cook necessarily has to score more than 187 (although that would be ****ing nice) but he does need to make a daddy hundred.

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Fair enough. I actually don't think Trott has been looking that good. Seems to be walking with the shot a little bit more compared to when he is completely on song. Obviously he is the type of batsman who can look unmovable after he gets going, but I still have hope that he is vulnerable.

social

Didn't watch pur batting innings in the early hours so certainly not disagreeing with you. Cook definitely hasn't looked good all series but Trott looks in very good nick to me (just keeps getting out LOL)

I was thinking about this this morning, I think it is critical for the mind games/momentum or whatever you want to call it that Cookie plays out a big one here (even in a losing cause)............he needs to see Clarkes 180 and raise it.

There is nothing more important than your best bat and skipper stamping his mark, Clarke has done that and it is important for England that Cook doesn't get left behind.

Edit:

Just for clarification, I don't mean that Cook necessarily has to score more than 187 (although that would be ****ing nice) but he does need to make a daddy hundred.
Cook is obviously a very important batsmen for England but he also owes the teams plenty or runs as his captaincy was dire e.g. for most of the last partnership, he had at least 5 men on the fence and seemed totally reliant on one of the batsmen having a brain-snap and lobbing it down someone's throat in the outfield to take a wicket

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Can't disagree with either of you on that.......I'm not sold on Cooks captaincy by any means but I'm hoping this is something he'll grow into and get better at with time. He doesn't seem to have a plan B when plan A isn't working, easy to set field when the wickets are tumbling but as soon as our bowlers are under pressure he really does lose his way.

And yeah, no idea what was going on with Root all yesterday morning??

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Lyon has absolutely turned a corner, I don't ever remember him drifting the ball that well, nor do I remember him getting that kind of turn and bounce (except in Dehli at times), would love for him to pick up 5/100 or so, England will probably end up about 7-300 by the end of the day and the game will be all but drawn, really good from Australia these last 2 days.