• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official Third Test at Edgbaston

tooextracool

International Coach
Just watched the highlights of the morning session and have to say that Anderson and Onions put in as fine a bowling performance as we are likely to see this summer. A serious question must be asked at as to whether Anderson is the best swing bowler in the world at this point, because when he gets the ball to go both ways, he is as close to devastating as anyone can possibly be. in terms of Jaffa per inning ratio he must be right up there with the very best. He still needs to work on his game when the ball isnt swinging though.

On Onions, I've thought that he has potential since the very first game I saw him play and his spell in the morning was exactly why. He reminds me a bit of Shaun Pollock in his heyday in that he keeps things very simply, just puts things in the right place and just allow the ball to do its own thing, either swing a little bit or seam a little bit without really having much control over what its going to do exactly. Unfortunately, and Im not really sure why, he keeps having spells like later on in afternoon session and at Lords where he just loses his radar and doesn't maintain his probing line. Which seems strange because it appears as though hes rarely been doing that this season in domestic cricket. Like Anderson though, it might have something to do with the head pointing down at delivery time.

Regarding Marcus North, I havent changed my opinion much on him since Cardiff when I stated I would be very surprised if he made it till the end of the series. I think that as long as we dont get any flat batting conditions, I still expect that to happen. He has such a shocking technique its not even funny anymore, I am really surprised that he has been even remotely successful in domestic cricket in England tbh.

Last edited:

tooextracool

International Coach
Ok, how the hell did Ricky turn into such a nice guy? It's almost like it is all part of a masterplan that will involve an elaborate end of career whinge. Credit to him anyways.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
On Onions, I've thought that he has potential since the very first game I saw him play and his spell in the morning was exactly why. He reminds me a bit of Shaun Pollock in his heyday in that he keeps things very simply, just puts things in the right place and just allow the ball to do its own thing, either swing a little bit or seam a little bit without really having much control over what its going to do exactly. Unfortunately, and Im not really sure why, he keeps having spells like later on in afternoon session and at Lords where he just loses his radar and doesn't maintain his probing line. Which seems strange because it appears as though hes rarely been doing that this season in domestic cricket. Like Anderson though, it might have something to do with the head pointing down at delivery time.
I'd just say he utilized the helpful bowling conditons very well this morning. The reason why he he looked flat at lord's because when the aint that helpul. He becomes a workhouse & doesn't have enough in his repotoire to be that wicket-taking. But Strauss can definately always rely on him to keep running in.

Regarding Marcus North, I havent changed my opinion much on him since Cardiff when I stated I would be very surprised if he made it till the end of the series. I think that as long as we dont get any flat batting conditions, I still expect that to happen. He has such a shocking technique its not even funny anymore, I am really surprised that he has been even remotely successful in domestic cricket in England tbh.
Have to disagree, his hundred in SA wasn't on flat pitch & i dont see any MAJOR technical flaws in his batting. He just has gotten some good deliveries.

But of course depending on if Watson can still play as an all-rounder his position at number 6 will never be 100% secure.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I would so love to be at Corrin's place right now.
Open invite for the rest of the series tbh, as long as I am home and childless

err. The reason would be because Anderson and Onions are infinitely better swing bowlers.
Yeah, agree with this

What a day, Jimmeh was brilliant, as was Onions. Said last night that I was concerned about the other bowlers not standing up and delivering if Freddie didn't, no such concerns. Ravi looked good and then got out, tool, Bell looked alright though, aside from, um, you know, that close lbw :ph34r:

Strauss looked magnificent, averages 60 and counting as skipper. There may be questions over his captaincy, but right now I'd pick him to open with Smith in a World XI I reckon, Katich close but I'd rather have Strauss. Looked awesome.

Can't wait for tomorrow, forecast suggests hours will be lost but that there should also be plenty of play. I'm gonna have a great day, I hope. This game should never have been written off as a draw, reckon either side could still win it but obviously backing us to do it.

tooextracool

International Coach
Have to disagree, his hundred in SA wasn't on flat pitch & i dont see any MAJOR technical flaws in his batting. He just has gotten some good deliveries.

But of course depending on if Watson can still play as an all-rounder his position at number 6 will never be 100% secure.
err, if playing with your bat hanging out some 5 feet away from your pad isn't a 'major' technical flaw then yes he doesnt have any major technical flaws. His batting, as I've described it before, is Yuvrajesque and its almost certainly a very poor technique.

Regarding his century against South Africa, one swallow does not make a summer and as such hes done precious little since other than stack up runs on a very placid pitch against some very ordinary bowling in Cardiff.

tooextracool

International Coach

Computer says no.
Disagree, Steyn is the better bowler overall, but given conditions when the ball is swinging around corners, I'd take Anderson over Steyn 10 out of 10 days a week if only because Anderson gets the ball to go both ways which Steyn has yet to show in international cricket. Anderson is quite brilliant when the ball is swinging because he gets it to go very late, gets it to go both ways and gets it to go a long way. Possibly only Zaheer Khan can compete with him in that regard.

The ball today that he got Manou out with from wide of the crease, that has to be one of the best balls I have seen in years. I don't care how good you are, the only way you play those is with your off stump.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
The ball today that he got Manou out with from wide of the crease, that has to be one of the best balls I have seen in years. I don't care how good you are, the only way you play those is with your off stump.
And how many times has Steyn bowled people like that?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Anyone hear Onions' comments on Hussey?

"Hussey at the moment doesn't know where his offstump is" - lolled

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
A decent chunk being lost to weather would favour England at this point, a typical scenario for an Australia win would be England being bowled out for 250-300, Australia scoring 300+ and declaring before then bowling England out. All that would likely take around 7-8 sessions. Other Australia win scenarios that require less time involve England getting bowled out chasing a small(ish) target.

England on the other can scrape beyond 300, up towards 400 then they could bowl out Australia cheaply and win that way. Or Australia could make a bit more and leave a relatively small total. The first option would take about 5 sessions, the second option takes around 6-7 sessions depending on how quickly England bat in the 4th innings (which again is something you can adjust to much easier when batting, unlike declaring to set a target which is more a case of guestimating risk and see what happens when you bowl).

Obviously if England create a really dominant situation for themselves (ie score 400+) then the weather starts to work against them, but you'd still figure there'd be enough time to bowl Australia out for <300 and win.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Bell's NO was a howler, but hardly more so than the one Dar turned down when Clarke was batting.

Reckon we need a lead of 100+ as we're batting last on this, but would probably take any kinda lead from here.

Just been watching the highlights on 5 and have been impressed with Hayden behind the mic. He is more clever than he looks.

tooextracool

International Coach
And how many times has Steyn bowled people like that?
I don't recall ever seeing Steyn bowling from the very edge of the popping crease, pitching the ball on middle and getting it to swing away and hit off stump. But then again, maybe he has and I just haven't seen it.

Either way, few bowlers can get a ball to swing in the opposite direction after tossing it out there with such a significant angle.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't recall ever seeing Steyn bowling from the very edge of the popping crease, pitching the ball on middle and getting it to swing away and hit off stump. But then again, maybe he has and I just haven't seen it.
Did that exact thing to Brad Haddin in Sydney this year.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Haha yeah, but then Clarke got sawn off by a shocker ten minutes later!
Hardly a shocker. Was missing leg, but it's not like it hit him outside the line after an edge.

Plus, the poorness of the decision is hardly affected by what happens afterwards.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hardly a shocker. Was missing leg, but it's not like it hit him outside the line after an edge.

Plus, the poorness of the decision is hardly affected by what happens afterwards.
Was just pointing out the flaw in the "evened itself out" implication. England have been the better team all day long, but whichever way you look at it they've very much had the rub of the green.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Don't disagree. As Athers said though, bowl better and you get more n/os given your way as outs. Mind you, Bell was a bit lucky.