• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

Niall

International Coach
Imagine been aced by Kasaktina, such a fun player but that serve is scandelously bad even by WTA standards.

Fascinated to see Samsonova tomorrow, incredible win in Germany but against a girl like Sloane who loves the bashers.

Coolio to see Keys back here also.

Niall

International Coach
Imagine been aced by Kasaktina, such a fun player but that serve is scandelously bad even by WTA standards.

Fascinated to see Samsonova tomorrow, incredible win in Germany but against a girl like Sloane who loves the bashers.

Coolio to see Keys back here also.

Impressive power indeed.

Jabeur also through despite wasting a million break points in a fun match v Mugu who I begin to fear may never win another slam.

Shady Slim

International Coach
i love the balance in the women's game right now tbh it's brilliant from a spectator pov

obviously in the mens game we marvel at the big three/fab four however it's just great to know in any slam there's probably forty names that can win in the women's draw

Niall

International Coach
LOL at Ostapenko been called out on her bull**** finally.:D

Tomjlanovic won't go much further but the moral winner of the event.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
A British woman surprisingly into the 4th Round. Emma Raducanu. It's not intended as any sort of discrimination to say that one day it would be good to have a British tennis player who is born and bred English. This girl was born in Canada to a Romanian father and a Chinese mother. All lovely people I'm sure, but even so.....

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
A British woman surprisingly into the 4th Round. Emma Raducanu. It's not intended as any sort of discrimination to say that one day it would be good to have a British tennis player who is born and bred English. This girl was born in Canada to a Romanian father and a Chinese mother. All lovely people I'm sure, but even so.....
I think you and I, and maybe grecian, are the only ones here old enough to remember the last English ladies who could reasonably be expected to last until Week 2 at Wimbledon. Maybe Konta has done that once or twice tbf, but she's Hungarian/Australian anyway. And not exactly a product of the English system even if she has lived here since her late teens. Possibly Heather Watson, but I don 't know for sure.

Last edited:

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I think you and I, and maybe grecian, are the only ones here old enough to remember the last English ladies who could reasonably be expected to last until Week 2 at Wimbledon. Maybe Konta has done that once or twice tbf, but she's Hungarian/Australian anyway.
Konta. Born in Sydney and was Australian until 2013.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
She's been here since she was 2, nation of immigrants , I'm fine with it, couldn't care less where they came from, and I think she was brought through the British tennis system, as was Watson, who was born in Guernsey, a terrible forn mother though.

Born and Bred, hmmm. I guess if you want pure-breds, you'd have to go back to Barker, why you'd be wanting to do that I'm not sure though, but she's nicely blonde and blue-eyed. Jo Durie was quite good, don't think her bloodline is contaminated either....

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Federer in a battle now with Norrie.,,and for once the crowd is ranged against him as well…

Niall

International Coach
He won in 4. Its an ok result as Norrie is handy enough.

Sonego next and on a serious run on this surface next could be tricky, but surely Federer has to much for him.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
i love the balance in the women's game right now tbh it's brilliant from a spectator pov

obviously in the mens game we marvel at the big three/fab four however it's just great to know in any slam there's probably forty names that can win in the women's draw
Balance/Parity is the politically correct word for mediocrity…for mine, I am looking for a few dominant champions to emerge from this jumbled mess to elevate the sport just like in the men’s game…my hopes are on a revitalized Osaka, Swiatek and Gauff…

Last edited:

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
why not? they are all contenders to ultimately face and lose a match against djokovic...federer did better than i thought he would...however he has to serve way better than he has so far to remain competitive next week...

Niall

International Coach
regulation win for Barty then against noted headcase

I watched some of it , Siniakova is fun but coaching her must be hell, could have made it more difficult for Barty but some sloppy play from her did not help.

Amusingly her partner Krejcikova in the doubles can't stop winning. She plays Barty next!