• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, same here. But I expect a tough match against Stan (4 sets at least). He could lose, but I think he has a decent chance of winning if he maintains his level.

Against Rafa at a Major, I just have no confidence in him anymore. Hope I'm wrong. Something seems to go all wrong with his timing and shot selection against Rafa in every big match they play. Hoping Raonic or Dimitrov can take him out.

OverratedSanity

Just not a good match up for him with Rafa's topspin v his backhand but there's obviously a mental block there too.

Or Nadal is just better :p

vcs

He's better H2H, no doubt. Better player overall, not sure.

If he wins the Australian Open though, it will give him a unique achievement of having won every Major twice. Fed and Novak don't have that (Djokovic has a decent shot at it).

It's really a matter of preference how you'd rank the three. I can't separate them.

indiaholic

International Captain
Fanboy rose tinted glasses maybe but Federer would have been the favourite if they met some time in 2015. Probably the only year that was true though.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
The fact that they had to use heavier balls and slower courts before Federer came back to normal suggests its Fed, to me personally at least. I am, of course, a very casual tennis fan these days, so I dont expect much agreement with that opinion but hey, its still my opinion. :)

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
heavier balls surely is. They have basically taken out the variety just like field hockey. You guys yourself just remarked how brutal Fed was to a serve and volley player. In his heyday, there were folks who still could compete with him with that game when they had those lighter balls. I think they just figured it was an easier way to ensure games went longer, and closer at the top.

vcs

I think the courts are a bit more homogenized. Djokovic and Nadal would probably still be 10+ Slam winners in any era, since they are ATGs. But the homogenization of surfaces has helped a teeny bit probably.

Also, the technology in racquet strings has made huge advancements - making it much easier to hit passing shots from defensive baseline positions. I think that is the main thing that they have benefited from. The new strings and bigger racquet heads and sweet spots allow them to control the ball while hitting passing shots on the run, in a way that wouldn't have been possible 15-20 years back. But you still have to be athletic enough to make those shots in the first place, and Federer also hits plenty of those passing shots himself. Especially that blocked single-handed backhand on the stretch.

It has become a lot harder to become an elite-level serve and volleyer. The Sampras/McEnroe/Becker/Edberg caliber serve and volley player would still succeed in this era, but they'd find it slightly harder to dominate. And you don't get Rafter, Krajicek, Stich type players anymore.

Last edited:

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
there is such an ageless quality about federer's game...i don't think he can win the tournament but to make it this far at this stage of his career and immediately after such a long layoff is in itself incredible...if stan plays him as aggressively and as confidently as he plays everyone else, he will go through to the final...

DriveClub

International Regular
I think the courts are a bit more homogenized. Djokovic and Nadal would probably still be 10+ Slam winners in any era, since they are ATGs. But the homogenization of surfaces has helped a teeny bit probably.

Also, the technology in racquet strings has made huge advancements - making it much easier to hit passing shots from defensive baseline positions. I think that is the main thing that they have benefited from. The new strings and bigger racquet heads and sweet spots allow them to control the ball while hitting passing shots on the run, in a way that wouldn't have been possible 15-20 years back. But you still have to be athletic enough to make those shots in the first place, and Federer also hits plenty of those passing shots himself. Especially that blocked single-handed backhand on the stretch.

It has become a lot harder to become an elite-level serve and volleyer. The Sampras/McEnroe/Becker/Edberg caliber serve and volley player would still succeed in this era, but they'd find it slightly harder to dominate. And you don't get Rafter, Krajicek, Stich type players anymore.
Agree with this, defensive prowess of elite players like djoko,nadal,fed have definitely improved due to said reasons, mainly increased athleticism/agility, string technique and racquet mass. But every other pro on tour can't play like that, what these guys like novac,nadal,fed,stan do are unique.

Niall

International Coach
Great result for Lucic, terrible result for the slam as she will likely get hammered in the semi final.

I wonder will she be as useless as Flipkens at Wimbledon a few years ago v Bartoli:laugh:

Can't wait for the "nobody could live with her narrative now" she only won because Pliskova was awful.:laugh:

Last edited:

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
actually rafter had an underrated serve and a fantastic first volley, i rate him a better volleyer than sampras, i think he would have fared well in any era...sampras volleyed well mainly because his outstanding serve (maybe the greatest second serve of all time) set up (comparatively) easier volleys...as pure volleyers mcenroe, edberg and rafter were all better and becker was able to cover more ground by athletically lunging at the ball while covering the net...i agree about krajicek and stich....they wouldn't have been able to do much in today's "homogenized" conditions...