• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Not the biggest fan of women’s tennis but I think that some are being a bit harsh

Barty was a child prodigy, junior Wimbledon champ and reached 4 GS doubles finals at a young age

She’s obviously incredibly talented

Konta is a bit meh but the others are very young

Throw in the likes of Osaka and it’s hardly a disaster

Niall

International Coach
Women's tennis is in an odd place. Its unpredictable which makes it more fun than the men side, but I understand why it doesn't really engage man on the street. Its got no stars or rivalries. Girls win Slams here and there along with some nice Masters titles, but then vanish. Look at how Serena, Nadal, Federer and Rafa got so famous, just keep ****ing winning.

Maybe Osaka can transcend the game.

Today was dire to watch, but conditions and nerves played there part and heh not their fault that Bertens got sick and Halep imploded. Also Keys, Sloane, Martic and Halep were all dispatched in straight sets last round so they didn't exactly fluke there way here.

Niall

International Coach
French is the worst Slam as the last few weeks and today proved. Dismal scheduling, obnoxious crowds, no roof and depressingly constantly half full stadiums. Its to be expected with the girls as only Serena moves the needle and even on clay not so much, but the men's semis had plenty of empty seats today.:wacko:

Nick was right to not bother with it.:)

harsh.ag

Guess the women's game has been this way for as long as I can remember. In the mid 00s, there was Henin, Clijsters, the Williams Sisters, The Russians (Sharapova, Kuznetsova, Dementieva, Myskina etc), Lindsay Davenport, Mauresmo, Ivanovic, Jankovic. They just seemed less random and less interchangeable than the present lot (but this probably has a whole lot to do with how closely I follow the game).

Niall

International Coach
Tbf as someone who does follow ladies tennis and enjoys it, it does struggle for relevance as it has nobody bar Serena who transcends the game. Random winners can be fun, but when they don't really follow it up it does the game no favors. I suppose to play devils advocate mens tennis will struggle to replace the iconic big three.

social

Tbf as someone who does follow ladies tennis and enjoys it, it does struggle for relevance as it has nobody bar Serena who transcends the game. Random winners can be fun, but when they don't really follow it up it does the game no favors. I suppose to play devils advocate mens tennis will struggle to replace the iconic big three.
It’s actually pretty embarrassing that a bunch of middle aged dudes are still dominating the men’s game

Niall

International Coach
It’s actually pretty embarrassing that a bunch of middle aged dudes are still dominating the men’s game
It is, but the masses still adore them and love their match ups. Tsitsipas is a talent and clearly has the persona to transcend the game, but replacing three all time greats,,,best of luck with that.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
The men's game is on the same path as the women's. Normally the next great players overlap and new players emerge while the current greats are starting to decline. There is no one that is obviously the next great champion and there hasn't been for a very long time. Djokovic is struggling yesterday/today between the wind and rain interruptions, but Thiem is hardly the new kid on the block at 25 and certainly not destined for greatness. The fact that Stan Wawrinka reached the age of 29 and suddenly won three of the four Grand Slams is very odd. Perhaps in future players will go on for longer and emerge later. Can only wait to see what happens.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
It is, but the masses still adore them and love their match ups. Tsitsipas is a talent and clearly has the persona to transcend the game, but replacing three all time greats,,,best of luck with that.
these are not just three all-time greats, they are the three greatest players to have played this game...and as for the young talent, they need to first prove that they are as good as wawrinka, then murray and then maybe think about replacing the big 3...stan and andy did win their slams in the roger-rafa-novak era so it can be done...

harsh.ag

An era of many flawed champions is more fun. Hewitt-Roddick-Safin-Kuerten-Ferrero over Fed-Nadal-Djokovic for me. They have taken tennis to incredible heights, but something good has been lost in the greatness.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
An era of many flawed champions is more fun. Hewitt-Roddick-Safin-Kuerten-Ferrero over Fed-Nadal-Djokovic for me. They have taken tennis to incredible heights, but something good has been lost in the greatness.
sure...it's clearly subjective...what is the "something good"?

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Thiem played the match of his life just to be competitive for two sets. Incredible achievement by Nadal. Winning Grand Slams over a 14 year period is phenomenal.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
It's going to be interesting to see Tsitsipas during the grass court season. Tipped by many to be the next multiple Grand Slam winner. McEnroe reckons he could win a Grand Slam this year, and Pat Cash puts as one of four possible Wimbledon winners. Not convinced, but we'll see.