• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Cilic hasn’t gone away at all here. Massive break back this set and has Federer under the pump again here.

vcs

Federer :wub:

Nowhere near as sweet or memorable as last year's win but he did what he had to do, as always.

vogue

International Vice-Captain
Second oldest man to win the AO . Wonder if anyone knows who was the oldest man to win it ?

vcs

Federer is very close to reclaiming the No. 1 spot as well. Think he'll get it briefly if Nadal misses Acapulco and Federer turns up in Dubai, though it may not last long given he has to defend IW/Miami and he'll probably pull out of the clay season.

Another astonishing achievement, given his age and the fact that he's played so sparingly. Haven't checked it, but I'm expecting he'd be the oldest World No. 1 by some distance in the past 30-40 years since they've had the rankings.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I love Federer, but this fell into his lap a little bit with the injuries and upsets along the way (not to mention the growing murmurings of favouritism from the organisers). Doubt he'll remember it as his favourite grand slam win, but when you've got 19 others to choose from that was always going to be a stretch. Seriously, given how well he's aging, and how his major rivals are coming apart at the seams, it wouldn't be ridiculous for him to win another 3 or 4 before he finally hangs up his racket.

vcs

Hope a new clay contender emerges this year.. then again, we've been saying this for the past 12 years or so. :)

Djokovic vs. Federer matchup would have been a hell of a rivalry on clay in an alternate Nadal-less universe.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
yeah i always said federer is significantly underrated as a clay courter because he played against nadal on the surface during his prime years...could've should've and all that but in an alternative nadal-less universe, i can see him winning at least 5-6 french opens easily...i actually think he is better than most clay-courters who have won more clay titles...people like kuerten, muster, bruguera, lendl, wilander etc...nadal would have swatted them around even more easily than he did federer...

vcs

3 is a fairer number IMO, if Nadal hadn't been around, Djokovic would have risen to challenge him a bit earlier and his game is far more suited to clay than Federer's (though Fed is damn good himself).

I loved Kuerten BTW, not convinced Federer is a better clay-courter than him, he beat Federer in the French Open in 2004 when Kuerten was past it. Federer started delivering consistent quality performances on clay only after 2005.

Agree that all those guys would have struggled to win anything on clay with Nadal around.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
3 is a fairer number IMO, if Nadal hadn't been around, Djokovic would have risen to challenge him a bit earlier and his game is far more suited to clay than Federer's (though Fed is damn good himself).

I loved Kuerten BTW, not convinced Federer is a better clay-courter than him, he beat Federer in the French Open in 2004 when Kuerten was past it. Federer started delivering consistent quality performances on clay only after 2005.

Agree that all those guys would have struggled to win anything on clay with Nadal around.
i think comparing them at their respective peaks he is/was as good or better than djokovic...for example djokovic in one of his most dominant seasons lost to federer in the semis of the french in the best match of that year...as for kuerten, the loss at rolland garros was before federer's peak and after guga's...experience won...i don't read much into that...federer lost 4 finals and 1 semi against nadal, in a nadal-less universe he would have won the titles all those years...not to mention so many finals lost in other clay tournaments all to nadal...he would have won at least a couple of italian opens if not for nadal, the only big tournament he hasn't won in his career...outside of nadal, i would count borg and maybe guillermo vilas as a greater clay courter but the rest is all arguable at best...

the bolded part above is the key point...nadal is inarguably the greatest clay courter of all time, there is plenty of daylight between him and the next best player on the surface, borg...he has and would have skewed any other clay great's career significantly, it's just a fact that federer was directly in the line of fire and impacted the most...and it has colored people's opinions of him in that regard...i am just calling that out, that's all...ultimately it's all speculation but i have seen federer's best on clay and just feel he can take on and beat most opponents at their respective best, across eras...

Last edited:

vcs

Federer returns to World No. 1.

With Kohli's heroics as well, this has been a good day. :cool: