• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Sri Lanka Tour of South Africa 2019

YorksLanka

International Debutant
Congrats to SA for the series win QdK and Faf have been awesome throughout as have Rabada and Ngidi....it was a bit of a farce in the end tbh as DL screwed us over( which it has to many other teams too).. even a top team would have struggled to score at that rate never mind us!
Our fielding today was simply awful so I hope that Rixon puts these guys through it to improve.. disappointed with Avishka f’s shot again to get out- I suppose that’s inexperience..

Dendarii

International Debutant
The full squad:

Faf du Plessis (Titans, captain), Hashim Amla (Cape Cobras), Quinton de Kock (Titans), JP Duminy (Cape Cobras), Imran Tahir (Dolphins), Aiden Markram (Titans), David Miller (Dolphins), Lungi Ngidi (Titans), Anrich Nortje (Warriors), Andile Phehlukwayo (Dolphins), Dwaine Pretorius (Highveld Lions), Kagiso Rabada (Highveld Lions), Tabraiz Shamsi (Titans), Dale Steyn (Titans), Rassie van der Dussen (Highveld Lions).

I think it's very likely that will be the final World Cup squad. Pretorius appears to have won the all-rounder shootout against Mulder, and Hendricks' run of low scores together with Markram's showing for the Titans may have cost him a spot.

MrPrez

International Debutant
The full squad:

Faf du Plessis (Titans, captain), Hashim Amla (Cape Cobras), Quinton de Kock (Titans), JP Duminy (Cape Cobras), Imran Tahir (Dolphins), Aiden Markram (Titans), David Miller (Dolphins), Lungi Ngidi (Titans), Anrich Nortje (Warriors), Andile Phehlukwayo (Dolphins), Dwaine Pretorius (Highveld Lions), Kagiso Rabada (Highveld Lions), Tabraiz Shamsi (Titans), Dale Steyn (Titans), Rassie van der Dussen (Highveld Lions).

I think it's very likely that will be the final World Cup squad. Pretorius appears to have won the all-rounder shootout against Mulder, and Hendricks' run of low scores together with Markram's showing for the Titans may have cost him a spot.
I hope its the squad. Mulder is clearly a huge talent but hasn't shown anything worthy of picking him, while Markram is just so obviously better than Hendricks it's not funny.

Only possible change would be Amla out for Hendricks, but even in poor form I think it's worth taking Amla given his potential up-side, and also given that Hendricks is unlikely to set the world alight anyway.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Thank **** they picked Markram, would have been a terrible omission.

The full squad:

Looks like what you expect the WC squad to look like. Pretorius is interesting for final inclusion I would probably not have picked him, but I understand why they did. I wonder how much his bowling contributed because it could be perfect for Eng conditions.

Dendarii

International Debutant
Thank **** they picked Markram, would have been a terrible omission.

Looks like what you expect the WC squad to look like. Pretorius is interesting for final inclusion I would probably not have picked him, but I understand why they did. I wonder how much his bowling contributed because it could be perfect for Eng conditions.
I suspect that Pretorius is there more as a backup to Phehlukwayo rather as a regular starter, and it may very well have been his batting that got him the spot ahead of Mulder, having done better against Sri Lanka and also scoring runs for the Lions.

TheJammyTurtle

U19 Cricketer
What has vd Dussen done wrong exactly, except being a bit stodgy at the start of his innings?
SR of 75 not really good enough at this level, I appreciate its a small sample size and that some of his innings hes played the situation and hasn't had to go at a high SR, but your leaving runs out there with him in the team imo.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Dussen is good as a cover, but he's unlikely to break into the starting XI imo.

QDK +
Amla
Markram
Faf *
Duminy
Miller
Lucky
Rabada
Steyn
Ngidi
Tahir

solid on paper

MrPrez

International Debutant
Dussen is good as a cover, but he's unlikely to break into the starting XI imo.

QDK +
Amla
Markram
Faf *
Duminy
Miller
Lucky
Rabada
Steyn
Ngidi
Tahir

solid on paper
My biggest worry (outside of Hash's form) is that tail. As much as Lucky can pop off with the bat on his day, I'm not 100% confident in his ability to consistently operate at that number seven spot if he comes in pre-40. He's good for a quick 30 or 40, but that's about it.

Still, he's easily the best option in that position, and you can't justify taking any of those four bowlers out for another all-rounder. But I have a feeling we'll be bowled out at least once or twice this tournament.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
My biggest worry (outside of Hash's form) is that tail. As much as Lucky can pop off with the bat on his day, I'm not 100% confident in his ability to consistently operate at that number seven spot if he comes in pre-40. He's good for a quick 30 or 40, but that's about it.

Still, he's easily the best option in that position, and you can't justify taking any of those four bowlers out for another all-rounder. But I have a feeling we'll be bowled out at least once or twice this tournament.
I think Andile is better with the bat than what he has showed at international level, watching him in the momentum cup showed what a good player he could be.

But yeah we have a long tail and going to rely on our top 6 putting the runs on the board, but that has been true for years now. I expect an inform QDK and Markram with some great bowling performances is our only hope.

Bolo

State Captain
Markram averages 25 and hasn't had a single notable innings in odis. I don't really disagree with pinning hopes on him, but its a sad state of affairs when we need to.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Markram averages 25 and hasn't had a single notable innings in odis. I don't really disagree with pinning hopes on him, but its a sad state of affairs when we need to.
After 14 matches ABdV avg 15 after one year (14 matches)... And I compare Markram because he has the potential to be as devastatingly brilliant. Anybody that watched the 150+ innings for the Titans recently does not need to ask why Markram should be in the SA team nevermind the squad. You are not pinning hopes, you just waiting for him to get it right, because he inevitably will.

Last edited:

Bolo

State Captain
After 14 matches ABdV avg 15 after one year (14 matches)... And I compare Markram because he has the potential to be as devastatingly brilliant. Anybody that watched the 150+ innings for the Titans recently does not need to ask why Markram should be in the SA team nevermind the squad. You are not pinning hopes, you just waiting for him to get it right, because he inevitably will.
Even if you accept he will be getting it right (which he should, he's a beast and looks better suited to odis) you are pinning hopes that he will turn it around overnight. I agree that he is one of the best hopes for wc because the other bats have such low ceilings but he's not a banker at this stage in his career

YorksLanka

International Debutant
Reading that Kusal Mendis has been practising his keeping so assume either Dickwella will be dropped :@ or he will not take the gloves but still play. I gather KJP is out for rest of series again with another hamstring injury so maybe Angelo Perera will come in?

TheJammyTurtle

U19 Cricketer
Reading that Kusal Mendis has been practising his keeping so assume either Dickwella will be dropped :@ or he will not take the gloves but still play. I gather KJP is out for rest of series again with another hamstring injury so maybe Angelo Perera will come in?
Interesting,do you think that Dickwella would do better just opening the batting and without the added pressure of keeping also?

MrPrez

International Debutant
Even if you accept he will be getting it right (which he should, he's a beast and looks better suited to odis) you are pinning hopes that he will turn it around overnight.
Not really; he has had a remarkable run of good performances in domestic OD cricket recently so he's in good form in the format right now. It wouldn't really be turning it around overnight.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
And they have rested Rabada (thank ****).... playing Reeza and Markram; assuming Faf continues at 3 (which seems his spot) Markram at 4, I actually am a fan of. Interesting to see what they do from a batting perspective.

MrPrez

International Debutant
And they have rested Rabada (thank ****).... playing Reeza and Markram; assuming Faf continues at 3 (which seems his spot) Markram at 4, I actually am a fan of. Interesting to see what they do from a batting perspective.
Personally feel they should play de Kock at 4 instead, allowing Reeza and Markram to both fight for an opening spot.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Personally feel they should play de Kock at 4 instead, allowing Reeza and Markram to both fight for an opening spot.
From pure giving a batting opportunity right now, yep. I`m thinking from a longer term point of view, I think Markram should be batting 3/4 in SA teams.

Assuming they pick Markram and Reeza for WC, I would want Reeza to open and Markram to play 4, with Faf at 3.