• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Sri Lanka Tour of South Africa 2019

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I'm happy with Faf in at 3 as he gets going from the start which I don't think Rassie can do and can play match winning innings. Thinking back to some sensational hundreds v Australia.
I like Faf at 3, but wonder if it makes a mess of the top order that already looks tight.

Borges

International Regular
Yes, every win is to be celebrated. Particularly if it is in a series that is still alive.

However, if your team routinely loses series after series, then you are allowed to claim that all bilateral ODI games are utterly pointless.

Dendarii

International Debutant
However, if your team routinely loses series after series, then you are allowed to claim that all bilateral ODI games are utterly pointless.
So can South African fans use a similar argument to claim that ICC knockout games are utterly pointless? :D

Borges

International Regular
ICC knockout games are glorified lotteries; quite pointless if one believes that cricket ought to be played primarily as a game of skill.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Nice the top order did the job for us, but once again we end up with the all-rounders not getting a bat. We seriously need to see them bat on a consistent basis if we want to know what we have.

SeamUp

International Coach
Nice the top order did the job for us, but once again we end up with the all-rounders not getting a bat. We seriously need to see them bat on a consistent basis if we want to know what we have.
Hopefully bat first at Centurion. A good venue for run-scoring in limited overs cricket.

YorksLanka

International Debutant
Congrats to SA on an easy win.. composed knock from Faf and QdK too..

I wasn’t happy with our team line up today..for me Avishka Fernando should have played instead of Tharanga( who I think has been finished for a long time) and Kumunu Mendis instead of Sandakan( who I don’t rate in the slightest)..hopefully we will bat better on Wednesday..also I wouldn’t have Malinga in the team..

Last edited:

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
ICC knockout games are glorified lotteries; quite pointless if one believes that cricket ought to be played primarily as a game of skill.
You'd think Australia's win % would be a bit lower if they were lotteries. And South Africas a bit higher

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Congrats to SA on an easy win.. composed knock from Faf and QdK too..

I wasn’t happy with our team line up today..for me Avishka Fernando should have played instead of Tharanga( who I think has been finished for a long time) and Kumunu Mendis instead of Sandakan( who I don’t rate in the slightest)..hopefully we will bat better on Wednesday..also I wouldn’t have Malinga in the team..
The pace bowling depth at ODI level is awful, they leak runs and don't take wickets, I don't know how you could even think to not have Malinga in the side, when he turns up he changes matches for us, when he doesn't he's no worse than the rest.

I also think Tharanga is a decent pick in England for the WC, although I liked the way DdS and Dickwella were combining in NZ at the top of the order, unless he has a blinder of a WC we shouldn't really see his name on a team sheet ever again.

YorksLanka

International Debutant
The pace bowling depth at ODI level is awful, they leak runs and don't take wickets, I don't know how you could even think to not have Malinga in the side, when he turns up he changes matches for us, when he doesn't he's no worse than the rest.

I also think Tharanga is a decent pick in England for the WC, although I liked the way DdS and Dickwella were combining in NZ at the top of the order, unless he has a blinder of a WC we shouldn't really see his name on a team sheet ever again.
The thing is Malinga used to be able to change games for us when he was bowling at 145kmh- then his slower ball was deadly but now he has lost his pace, it’s no longer effective..As for Tharanga, I honestly think he is way past his best so I feel a youngster would be gaining useful experience at the top level for the future..

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Why not Karunaratne as captain? He has a shocking ODI record but that’s 4+ years ago and he is a much better batsman nowadays than he was back then. Moreover, you fancy him over Tharanga in most conditions, and he be a decent foil to the rest of the batsman who are very hyper. Surprised he wasn’t considered, particularly after the test series, and the county contract he has now secured with Hampshire includes limited overs cricket.

YorksLanka

International Debutant
Why not Karunaratne as captain? He has a shocking ODI record but that’s 4+ years ago and he is a much better batsman nowadays than he was back then. Moreover, you fancy him over Tharanga in most conditions, and he be a decent foil to the rest of the batsman who are very hyper. Surprised he wasn’t considered, particularly after the test series, and the county contract he has now secured with Hampshire includes limited overs cricket.
I suppose they didn’t want to harm his form in tests by him playing the shorter format but then he has chosen that himself with the contract with Hampshire..then again, this is SLC so logic doesn’t come into it!!