• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official**** Sri Lanka in New Zealand 2014/2015

cnerd123

likes this
I think Baz in cbf mode can take them on. Williamson is a gem, Latham looks good, and BJ will be great to have when the English quicks are tiring.

Plus Southee and Boult should be able to tear their top order to shreds.

Should be interesting tstl.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Anderson and Broad on their own turf will be too much for our batsmen imo. Taylor, Baz and Watling are poor starters, Neesham has a leaky defence and Rutherford is mud. You can't have that against world class bowlers with a duke.
We're all talking in hypotheticals like something has changed since you were here 18 months ago.

Will be the summer of the opening bowlers.

Blocky

Banned
I think once Watling gets his tonne he'll put the foot down, Williamson will bat sensibly to 200.

Rusty has it right - 350 runs, 100-110 overs to get them. That's what I like.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Don't really know how good England are anyway. Should be good though, wish it was a 4 test series. Not ready for another ashes yet.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Will be a draw IMO. Anderson/Broad will win them one game but their lack of backup will hurt if they don't fire. Plus also New Zealand's attack should gun it in England.

Blocky

Banned
As for England, will depend on can our batsmen resist Anderson, Broad vs can their batsmen resist Southee and Boult. Spin options aren't really a factor for either side, although Moeen might fluke some wickets against us.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
A lot has changed, tbf.
Your batsman have shown to be a bit better I guess. I'm certainly not expecting another 50 all out or whatever.

You'll probably say England are a lot worse but I think they're about the same now as they were then. That summer papered over a lot of cracks that were evident well before the debacles in Australia and v Sri Lanka.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Cmon mate, you're comparing spin against pace there.
I realise that. Interestingly, the batsman with the most open setup versus spin in 2008 was Brendon McCullum (vs. Panesar @ Manchester in 2008). Taylor's setup was only marginally more open than that shown in the screenshot above.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
I'm certainly not expecting another 50 all out or whatever.
I'm not so sure about that. What we've shown is a much improved ability to cash in against average-poor attacks, but we're still as capable as ever of totally capitulating against a quality quick on a rampage like Broad.

Flem274*

123/5
I'm not so sure about that. What we've shown is a much improved ability to cash in against average-poor attacks, but we're still as capable as ever of totally capitulating against a quality quick on a rampage like Broad.
Not to mention we're making a habit of getting jumped by average and poor attacks whenever we're thick enough to provide a green top.

Blocky

Banned
I realise that. Interestingly, the batsman with the most open setup versus spin in 2008 was Brendon McCullum (vs. Panesar @ Manchester in 2008). Taylor's setup was only marginally more open than that shown in the screenshot above.
Spin bowlers invariably, especially around the wicket ones - most batsmen will setup with a squarer stance. I know I did.

It's the slouching over his bat that is the most problematic, he's dragging his bat away from himself, then up, then down again. To do that, he has to play the ball very early and that's where his issues have been. Not such an issue with aggressive strokes, because he has to play those early anyway.