• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Sri Lanka in England

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Collingwoods a "finisher" who never finishes, him and Geraint Jones are consistently rubbish when it matters8-)

Mascharenas, Bopara, Tudor, Benning, Foster, Read and Tremlett must come into consideration now.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
aussie said:
ok he hasn't in a while but i don't know if you have been watching Collingwood over the past year, but his value to England's very inconsistent OD side is second to none.
Colly has played about 100 ODIs, right ? Tell me how many matches he has won or even contributed significantly to a win ? The fact that England have regulars like him, make England a poor ODI team.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Side for Saturday?

Tresco
Strauss
Bell
Pietersen
Collingwood
Dalrymple
Chapple
Jones
Bresnan
Plunkett
Harmison

not much we can do to change it really. Since im at OT next Wed it would be nice if the series was still live, but im not counting on it

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Sanz said:
Colly has played about 100 ODIs, right ? Tell me how many matches he has won or even contributed significantly to a win ? The fact that England have regulars like him, make England a poor ODI team.
Collingwood has contributed signifcantly to England win in the past see here, here, here, and here

Plus their have been other performances such as the one today where he has made runs but becuase overall England have done badly they have lost anyway. Collingwood is by no means a garbabage player like how you are making him out to be, along with Flintoff, Tresocothick & Pietersen he is one of England best ODI performers.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
aussie said:
Collingwood has contributed signifcantly to England win in the past see here, here, here, and here

Plus their have been other performances such as the one today where he has made runs but becuase overall England have done badly they have lost anyway. Collingwood is by no means a garbabage player like how you are making him out to be, along with Flintoff, Tresocothick & Pietersen he is one of England best ODI performers.
I saw last two games, He did make solid contributions, but did he actually win the game ? NO. Now check KP, Tresco and Freddie, you will see them taking the match away on their own. I am not saying Colly is a garbage player, I am saying is that @ best he is a role player someone like Today's Md. Kaif. He can make decent contributions once in a while or steady the innings when things are down, but hardly win a game for your team. I simply dont consider him anywhere close to Tresco , KP and Freddie.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Scaly piscine said:
Wish Gooch would shut up on TMS, he seems to think anything over 7 an over is impossible over the last 10.
When we only have 1 batsman capable of hitting boundaries then it is.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
grecian said:
Collingwoods a "finisher" who never finishes, him and Geraint Jones are consistently rubbish when it matters8-)

Mascharenas, Bopara, Tudor, Benning, Foster, Read and Tremlett must come into consideration now.
Tudor?!

Why exactly?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
superkingdave said:
Side for Saturday?

Tresco
Strauss
Bell
Pietersen
Collingwood
Dalrymple
Chapple
Jones
Bresnan
Plunkett
Harmison

not much we can do to change it really. Since im at OT next Wed it would be nice if the series was still live, but im not counting on it
Is Chapple fit then?

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
marc71178 said:
Tudor?!

Why exactly?

Hes quick at best, and can bat, yes he needs to work on his fitness, but if he was fit until the end of the season (unlikely I know), he'd be an ideal player for us. Well better then saj, kabir, bres or liam anyway.

I did say they should be considered, not called into play immediately, hence why I mentioned 2 wicket-keepers:)

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
superkingdave said:
Side for Saturday?

Tresco
Strauss
Bell
Pietersen
Collingwood
Dalrymple
Chapple
Jones
Bresnan
Plunkett
Harmison

England selectors must pick Gough and Glen Chapple over Mahmood and Plunkett, IMO.
That will give England still a chance of winning this series , which has nearly slipped out of their reach and Saturday is a must win game for England . Others to consider ? Owais Shah .

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Sanz said:
I saw last two games, He did make solid contributions, but did he actually win the game ? NO. Now check KP, Tresco and Freddie, you will see them taking the match away on their own. I am not saying Colly is a garbage player, I am saying is that @ best he is a role player someone like Today's Md. Kaif. He can make decent contributions once in a while or steady the innings when things are down, but hardly win a game for your team. I simply dont consider him anywhere close to Tresco , KP and Freddie.
The same argument that you have aimed at Collingwood can be aimed at every single England player.

KP a winner?

In his entire international career, he has scored 50 or more on 12 occasions, three times passing a century. How many of those games did England win?

What a loser, only ever scores runs in a losing cause.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
JASON said:
England selectors must pick Gough and Glen Chapple over Mahmood and Plunkett, IMO.
That will give England still a chance of winning this series , which has nearly slipped out of their reach and Saturday is a must win game for England . Others to consider ? Owais Shah .
Why Gough, for goodness sake?

Why not go the whole hog and pick Dominic Cork? At least he's in form.

(no, that's not a serious comment)

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
luckyeddie said:
The same argument that you have aimed at Collingwood can be aimed at every single England player.

KP a winner?

In his entire international career, he has scored 50 or more on 12 occasions, three times passing a century. How many of those games did England win?

What a loser, only ever scores runs in a losing cause.

If you think Colly offers same chance of winning as KP does then well I guess we can agree to disagree. IMO as long as KP/Tresco/Freddie are there batting, I feel that England are with a chance to win. Unfortunately same cant be said about Colly.