• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Sri Lanka in England / Scotland - 2011

Challis

U19 12th Man
Way too much being made about the Chandimal hundred, I normally don't like personal milestones being prioritised but the game was all but over. I don't think Chandimal deserves any criticism as it looked like that it was Matthews who was orchestrating things out there. I think this incident showed he is willing to take risks to back his teammates which is a trait that should help him when he takes over the captaincy in the future. Like someone said above, I think he is showing signs that he is going to be a good captain for Sri Lanka.
Anyway it's not the first time this has happened, I clearly remember Gayle and Kohli doing the same thing in the IPL where it was Gayle who was instructing Kohli not to take any runs in order for Gayle himself to get his hundred, I don't remember Gayle much criticism for that.

Borges

International Regular
Anyway it's not the first time this has happened, I clearly remember Gayle and Kohli doing the same thing in the IPL.
IPL is not the yardstick by which cricket is to be measured. It generally provides anti-patterns - team honchos influencing the selection of umpires and preparation of wickets; players being auctioned like cattle; lunatic coaching staff with absolutely no idea of the worth of a player.

Though I agree with the general view that the English team and some of their fans are making a meal out of a quite insignificant incident.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Having not watched the second innings, I was pretty shocked to find this taking up the majority of discussion. Even if it is discussion on what people have been discussing, which is always a less than fun road to go down. Ah, I blame myself.

Borges - has anyone from the the team made any real comment? As oppose to fans?

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
Oh, and if anyone wants to criticise Cook's innings any more, please bear in mind that Sehwag, Gayle and Trescothick have all scored ODI hundreds at a slower rate, while Tendulkar has scored four.

Borges

International Regular
I don't know if anyone from the team made a comment after the game - I'm not paying much attention to this ODI series, except to watch parts of it live when I get the time.

I was making that comment based on their behaviour in the field (led by KP, IIRC) while the farce was going on. To me, it looked as if they thought it was a big deal.

Howe_zat

Audio File
They were losing. I'd be pissed off too. Not really the best thing to make much assessment on. As far as I can see, there's been no real reaction other than Cook saying it was weird, which it was.

Jacknife

International Captain
IPL is not the yardstick by which cricket is to be measured. It generally provides anti-patterns - team honchos influencing the selection of umpires and preparation of wickets; players being auctioned like cattle; lunatic coaching staff with absolutely no idea of the worth of a player.

Though I agree with the general view that the English team and some of their fans are making a meal out of a quite insignificant incident.
Nothing was really said apart from one or 2 posts and one of them was not by a England fan. It wasn't till Mono posted at #5157 that it got brought up.

Last edited:

Borges

International Regular
They were losing. I'd be pissed off too. Not really the best thing to make much assessment on. As far as I can see, there's been no real reaction other than Cook saying it was weird, which it was.
Fair enough.

Nothing was really said apart from one or 2 posts and one of them was not by a England fan. It wasn't till Mono posted at #5157 that it got brought up.
Ok, I guess that my comment was unjustfied; apologies for that.

Please treat it as withdrawn.

Bun

Banned
I myself am more about team success than individual performance but if the alternatives offered by England are dick moves like Atherton declaring on Hick for 98, I'll happily choose to watch the occasional bit of personal glory over team.
Wasn't a case of "personal glory over team" but rather "personal glory with the team's success".

Win-Win really.

Bun

Banned
Was quite funny listening to the commentators say "the senior player has no idea what he is doing out there" when Mathews was pretty clear about what he was doing. A future captain indeed.
Absolutely...

the whingeing from the commentators was so hilarious and outright idiotic...

At one point the whinge was "The crowd's been there since 10 AM!" I was like WTF!!!???

Bun

Banned

For all that is IPL, it's still a battle of ball vs bat out there in the middle, played according to International laws of cricket.. 8-) It's not as if bowlers run in and toss it up high in the air, and batsmen are mandated to rotate on their axis blindly and swing at the ball...

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Was Nasser commentating? He hates players focusing on milestones and stats over the team objective. Bollocked Thorpe during his (Nasser's) final Test for blocking plenty so there were enough runs for Nas to go to a hundred.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
Having not watched the second innings, I was pretty shocked to find this taking up the majority of discussion. Even if it is discussion on what people have been discussing, which is always a less than fun road to go down. Ah, I blame myself.

Cook made a comment about how the cricketing Gods would be disgusted.