• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Sri Lanka Domestic Season 2013/14

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Sri Lanka Under 19s just lost to Afghanistan Under 19s. Don't know whether to take that as a positive step for Afghanistan cricket or a worrying sign for Sri Lankan cricket; it's probably a little of both.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Sri Lanka Under 19s just lost to Afghanistan Under 19s. Don't know whether to take that as a positive step for Afghanistan cricket or a worrying sign for Sri Lankan cricket; it's probably a little of both.
A 15 year old Afghan bowler took 5/33 :eek:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Gee I'm excited about Afghanistan though. The prospect of having another team in international cricket that's as passionate about the game as the subcontinental teams is pretty cool.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Under-19 World Cup 2014 : Kusal Mendis to lead SL in U-19 World Cup | Cricket News | ICC Under-19 World Cup | ESPN Cricinfo

Also, the Premier league first class competition (which is a 3 day format in Sri Lanka) is going to start on January 17th, the fixture can be found here.

And finally, the proposed tour to Bangladesh for 2 tests and some ODIs/t20s starting later this month has been in danger of cancellation due to political instability in Bangladesh, however pending the results of an inspection by 2 SL officials of the venues the tour will go ahead, although a northern venue might have to be swapped out because the officials won't be inspecting it. The tour is quite important for Sri Lanka, not only to sustain their momentum gained in the ongoing UAE tour but also because Bangladesh will also be hosting the world t20 and the Asia cup soon, and the ODIs/t20s will be good practice.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
If I were Bangladesh I would try to make Vaas an offer he can't refuse while he's over there. Look at what he's done with SL's pace bowlers in such a short amount of time. There's a relatively similar level of raw talent in the Bangladeshi camp (i.e., it is not readily apparent).

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
They already have their hands full with Saqlain though, I imagine his 100 day a year contract is already stretching their budget

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Been a bit busy lately but I'll quickly post this.

The Premier League FC tournament started last week, the tournament is the main FC league in Sri Lanka, and the matches are three days, as mentioned earlier in the thread, the teams are all basically Colombo club teams with FC status. The cricinfo wrap-up of the first round can be found here. Only one result was achieved, Bloomfield easily knocking over Panadura, led by 7 wickets from Suraj Randiv.

In other Sri Lanka news the Bangladesh tour appears to be going ahead, although the final decision will be made a day before departure (later today I think) SLC have stated that this will simply be a formality as they are almost certain they are satisfied with security arrangements. To my great disappointment (but probably karan316's joy) Ajantha Mendis has been picked in the squad to tour Bangladesh at the expense of Senanayake. Kitharuwan Vithanage also got selected as Lahiru Thirimanne is still injured. I honestly think Sri Lanka could do much worse than going back to Randiv, I thought he wasn't too bad as Herath's understudy, Sri Lanka is rather ****ed once Herath retires it seems.

The next round of the Premier league tournament starts later today, get excited

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
The second round of the Premier League finished yesterday, and it three up some interesting results as far as individual contributions go. Here is the cricinfo wrap-up.

Nondescripts smashed Air Force club by an innings with Angelo Perera scoring 244 (204) and Jehan Mubarak hitting 164, the 20 year old offspinner Tharindu Kaushal took 6 wickets in the second innings. Seekkuge Prasanna was in the runs and the wickets as Sri Lanka Army pulled off a tense 2 wicket victory over Colombo, scoring a vital 70 in the chase of 253 and taking 8 wickets for the game. Ports Authority CC thumped Panadura by 10 wickets, set up by a first innings total of 423 which was powered by a century from Sachithra Senasinghe. The other 2 matches ended in draws, interestingly, Jeevan Mendis scored his second century of the season, will be interesting to follow his form over the next few weeks.

The solid performances of Seekkuge Prasanna and Tharindu Kaushal make me continue to pull my hair out over the Ajantha Mendis selection for Bangladesh, hopefully one of them can force their way into the reckoning soon and Mendis will be done away with forever as far as test cricket is concerned.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Kumar Sangakarra has decided to skip this year's IPL, given he can only play 3 weeks of it, good news given he'll be able to prepare properly for the England tour, hopefully Mahela and a few others consider doing this too

YorksLanka

International Debutant
i read an article somewhere on the net suggesting that the bcci are trying to get SLC to release our players from the England tour to be available for the full IPL and in return they are offering to keep our players involved for next ten years of IPL?any news on this and if it is true? The consequence apparently is that the ECB said it will sue SLC for $2M if we dont send a full team to England.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Oh my God, surely no, please no. But tbh SLC might actually knock the BCCI back given the fact that they appear to have grown a pair over the last little while.

Chanaka Welegedara back playing today btw, out for 14, will be interesting to see how he bowls tomorrow.

Nuwan Kulasekara is also back playing today, but he has only bowled 4 overs out of 53 for the whole innings, so I'm a little concerned, will have to wait and see if he re-injured himself or something.

Last edited:

YorksLanka

International Debutant
Wele will be back to his normal, military medium 120kph dollies..far better to stick to the young guys we have at present imho..good to see Kula back tho purely as an attacking all rounder...(yes i know he bowls at the same pace as Wele but at least he swings the ball..)

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Those 120kph dollies took 5/50 against the saffers on a decent deck, I don't think he's a great bowler but if he is fit and in form he provides good experience and is a strike bowler, worth keeping a close eye on IMO, he took 2/70 odd today. Could be a good inclusion for the Englad tour given his overseas experience, time running out for him though given he's turning 33 shortly. As for Kulesakara I don't particularly see much of a role for him in the team with Lakmal and Eranga in, he can provide control, some good movement with the new ball in conditions that suit him and a bit of lower order hitting but with the emergence of Lakmal and Eranga the test team could probably do without him IMO

Sachithra Senanayake has finished with match figures of 10/48 in the game he's playing, Kusal Perera also scored a hundred striking at pretty much a run a ball.

The English Lions also arrived in Sri Lanka ahead of the 'tests' and are playing the 'Sri Lanka 'A' Emerging XI', currently the Lions are 7/150, wickets have been shared. Angelo Perera captaining that team and Niroshan Dickwella keeping. Tharindu Kaushal also playing, he's taken 3 wickets so far now as the Lions lose another one

Last edited:

YorksLanka

International Debutant
you're right about his efforts against the Saffers BUT that was two years ago and imho, his time has gone .I cant see him getting a place in the playing XI in England ahead of Lakmal/Eranga/Pradeep. As for Kula, especially in the odi's,he will provide ten tight overs using the swinging conditions well so i think he should be there. His abilities with teh bat were also shown in the CT here in England. .Nice to see Satchi back in the wickets btw and i think he wasnt given a fair chance by the selectors.He should be perservered with in the team as he is a handy batsman too..

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Kula should certainly be in the ODI team. Yeah agree about Senanayake too, while Dilruwan Perera is a decent all-rounder, I can't help but feel he isn't the future, and with Herath's time running out we have to look to develop another medium to long term solution to the gap he'll leave, Senanayake, Tharindu Kaushal, Randiv and Seekkuge Prasanna all worth a shot IMO, but our wise selectors have Perera and ****ing Ajatha Mendis ahead of the all, especially disappointing given it's Bangladesh we are playing currently

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year

YorksLanka

International Debutant
Eng ahead by almost 280 now, still five wickets remaining...gonna be tough for our fellas..I hope that our A team will get a tour in England also to reciprocate...

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Good thing it's only the emerging team, Tharindu in the wickets again.

Speaking of spinners getting wickets, Randiv took 7/70 in the second dig of his game in the just completed round of the Premier League, Seekkuge picked up 7 for the game in his match