• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* South Africa in West Indies

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
What have the Windies honestly got to lose ?? Give lil Bravo a shot and see what happens
Think its been argued that the Windies should look to the future development of players, rather than hoping against probability

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Yeah because Brendan Nash, Darren Bravo and Narsingh Deonarine aren't average either right? Would be such a stupid move.
And let me guess NZ have a better middle order right? :laugh: i'm actully a WI fan so I KNOW what these players are capable of, if Barath was availible we wouldn't even be having this debate, but as he isn't i believe we'd be better off having Darren Bravo in the middle order, SUE ME!! 8-) .

And speaking of Barath!!, he's apparently back in training so hopefully the kid will be ready for the 2nd Test.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
And let me guess NZ have a better middle order right? :laugh: i'm actully a WI fan so I KNOW what these players are capable of, if Barath was availible we wouldn't even be having this debate, but as he isn't i believe we'd be better off having Darren Bravo in the middle order, SUE ME!! 8-) .

And speaking of Barath!!, he's apparently back in training so hopefully the kid will be ready for the 2nd Test.
I can't believe I'm deconstructing this drivel, but whatever.

1) NZ have nothing to do with the WI. End.

2) I'm an NZ fan, but I can't tell you what every single player is definitely capable of. You don't know what the WI players are capable of either. Being a fan makes you a fan, not a library of Godlike knowledge.

3)Yes, you believe Darren Bravo would be best. Unfortunately, you've made that very obvious. The majority on the other hand, would prefer the guy with over 100 tests to his name, over twenty test centuries and an average of 48. Most of us would prefer WI best batsman to play.

4) Sue you? I gladly would if stupidity and talent at being obnoxious was a crime. Sadly it's not, and I have to rely on natural selection to solve the issue.

DingDong

State Captain

yep when barath comes back wi should be back at the top in no time

Briony

International Debutant
So can the Windies knock off SA?

The Proteas have lost Parnell and will be picking either Tsotsobe or McLaren which considerably weakens them. That might provide some hope for the Caribbean men.

SA's batting is a bit unsettled with either Prince or Peterson filling the contentious slot. You'd imagine JP would still play and they have Smith in terrible form.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member

The Proteas have lost Parnell and will be picking either Tsotsobe or McLaren which considerably weakens them. That might provide some hope for the Caribbean men.

SA's batting is a bit unsettled with either Prince or Peterson filling the contentious slot. You'd imagine JP would still play and they have Smith in terrible form.
Just too many injuries for WI as well. It'll be interesting to see how Shilly bowls. Could well be a telling factor. In fact, though he would indeed benefit greatly from playing in England, Lil bravo could well prove to be that extra fire power that lets them compete

Last edited:

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member

Not really sure there is much contention. Virus is an opener/number 3 who has done well domestically in that position and scored a hundred on debut whilst Prince has always contributed when batting in the middle order anywhere but in the subcontinent.

Think the batting will be too much for the Windies attack whilst the bowling looks pretty decent. Expect a big series from Morne.

popepouri

State Vice-Captain
Maybe on the batting side but I'm skeptical to say it will affect the bowling that much, in fact it may improve it. Parnell has been a question mark in the longer format while Lopsy has proven himself and he's been unlucky to not have been picked earlier. He's currently sitting a healthy FC average of 24. Parnell's in the mid 30s without a 5fer.

Woodster

International Captain
Think the batting will be too much for the Windies attack whilst the bowling looks pretty decent. Expect a big series from Morne.
Yes agree with this, think SA have far too much batting for this particular WI attack. Such a shame WI continually fail to get their finest 10 or 11 out on the field, an attack comprising of Taylor, Edwards, Roach, Bravo would certainly throw up one or two more searching questions for Smith and co.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
I can't believe I'm deconstructing this drivel, but whatever.

1) NZ have nothing to do with the WI. End.

2) I'm an NZ fan, but I can't tell you what every single player is definitely capable of. You don't know what the WI players are capable of either. Being a fan makes you a fan, not a library of Godlike knowledge.

3)Yes, you believe Darren Bravo would be best. Unfortunately, you've made that very obvious. The majority on the other hand, would prefer the guy with over 100 tests to his name, over twenty test centuries and an average of 48. Most of us would prefer WI best batsman to play.

4) Sue you? I gladly would if stupidity and talent at being obnoxious was a crime. Sadly it's not, and I have to rely on natural selection to solve the issue.

Oh look my "NZ groupie" is at it again!! :laugh:

1. It seems to have been lost on you that AN NZ FAN came on this thread and downplayed our middle order, so i merely asked him if HIS SIDE'S middle order was better?!! he never responded so i guess that answers the question.

2. Don't embarrass yourself by telling me what i do and don't know about WI cricket, YOU DON'T KNOW ME!!.

3. "Majority"? what two people? :blink: if you want to be their "spokesman" you're gonna have to do a better job than that i'm afraid!! :laugh: .

4. I'll take "stupidity" over being an immature baby who can't handle someone else having a different opinion to their own any day of the week thanks!! 8-) .

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Just too many injuries for WI as well. It'll be interesting to see how Shilly bowls. Could well be a telling factor. In fact, though he would indeed benefit greatly from playing in England, Lil bravo could well prove to be that extra fire power that lets them compete
Exactly, but certain posters can't seem to fathom that notion!! 8-) .

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I don't think he was necessarily saying you don't know this that or the other. He was just contesting the logic behind your statement that "I'm a fan so I know what WI players are capable of" which is quite frankly stupid.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Yes agree with this, think SA have far too much batting for this particular WI attack. Such a shame WI continually fail to get their finest 10 or 11 out on the field, an attack comprising of Taylor, Edwards, Roach, Bravo would certainly throw up one or two more searching questions for Smith and co.
Pace might not be the key factor in the first Test though, Trinidad's pitch is spin friendly which is why the idea of playing Shilly and Benn would be the best way forward, especially when you consider that South Africa don't fancy spin at all.

And Barath, Taylor and maybe Sarwan might be back for the 2nd Test, so all is not lost yet.

Last edited:

WindieWeathers

International Regular
I don't think he was necessarily saying you don't know this that or the other. He was just contesting the logic behind your statement that "I'm a fan so I know what WI players are capable of" which is quite frankly stupid.
Well lets be realistic here, if one person has watched a youngster rise up from the begining, and knows the ins and outs of his game, and another fan just sees him on TV in one or two ODI's who is likely to be more informed about said player? :unsure: i'm not saying i automatically know more than everyone else, but when people try to ridicule my ideas i'm gonna put my cards on the table.

Last edited:

Woodster

International Captain
Pace won't be the key factor in the first Test though, Trinidad's pitch is spin friendly which is why the idea of playing Shilly and Benn would be the best way forward, especially when you consider that South Africa don't fancy spin at all.

And Barath, Taylor and maybe Sarwan might be back for the 2nd Test, so all is not lost yet.
No I appreciate that spin may be a factor, was just talking generally and how much healthier the side would look with such players involved. I still expect SA's quicker bowlers to do some damage to the WI line-up, regardless of expected conditions.

Should Sarwan and Taylor both be available for the second Test it will naturally be a boost. Barath is obviously very inexperienced and consequently not as key to the side, but still an obvious talent for the future, and likely to strengthen the side further.

Woodster

International Captain
I still think this is an urban legend. Maybe for players like Duminy or Prince but Smith, Kallis, AB and Amla played spinners really well.
They may struggle at times against top quality spin, but not against run of the mill twirlers, and sadly at this moment in time, is pretty much what West Indies have.