• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in Sri Lanka 2014

karan316

State Vice-Captain
Ah now that's where I disagree :p
I expect it, and most people would disagree, but I find it weird that teams are ready to take risks with their batting line-up, but usually play safe when it comes to the bowling department.

You pick a high risk bastman in your team, he can either win you games or contribute absolutely nothing, but such batsmen do get picked, and are persisted with for a long time, such luxurious are not given to the bowlers, why can't people be okay with hit or miss bowlers?? And like I said, the time when Mendis was found out, combined with his poor form(he was bowling a lot of thrash I remember) has left a wrong impression in people's mind. If at all he's given a long run in the tests he can do well in all conditions, there's a decent chance of that happening. There's no way he'll be able to keep the run rate down, he bowls so many different deliveries which is a bit difficult to control, maybe using his leg cutter(not the carrom ball) as a stock ball can help. But his style of bowling can be threatening on most day 4-5 pitches. Mendis can bowl the googly, top spinner and leg cutter really well, and his carrom ball is still something which can create problems for any well set batsmen. If he is given long spells, where he has the freedom to bowl with an attacking mindset, he'll pick wickets for sure. We'll have to wait and see if Mendis gets picked, or how he is used, but IMO he should get enough opportunities before writing him off.

Last edited:

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
There are 6 batsmen in most sides, but only 4 bowlers, all of whom need their workload managed and have specific roles within the side, if you are playing in conditions that warrant only one spinner and he is having an off day and is therefore unable to pull his weight then the captain has bowl his seamers in long spells and the whole attack suffers quite a bit.

kykweer.proteas

International Debutant
Sadly there is very very little hype for this series in south africa. hopefully it can pick up for the test matches now that the football is finished and Super Rugby is entering the final stages.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Sadly there is very very little hype for this series in south africa. hopefully it can pick up for the test matches now that the football is finished and Super Rugby is entering the final stages.
Seems like cricket is really dwindling in SA - poor crowds recently and SA posters seem to be talking a lot about how interest is always low compared to rugby and other sports, it's very sad given how well the team has been playing in the last few years

kykweer.proteas

International Debutant
gosh I typed out a huge reply that didnt work...

@maximus

yes it is a bit sad that there is no hype. im sure winning the ODI series will help. but many people including me do not understand how aus took the top ranking from us. so winning away series or drawing is absolutely meaningless unless you play 3 5-test series a year of which you can lose two badly but get tripple points on the home series.

its all about money though. a home series will garner more interest and crowds should be good, but the money involved in an away series in sri lanka is just not worth getting the gears of the media machine going unless we win the first test really really well.

Last edited:

viriya

International Captain
If they can figure out the choking issue, SA is clearly the favorites for the WC next year I feel. Amla, AB, Duminy, Kallis, Steyn, Morkel, Kock, Miller all can walk in to any team if they are playing the way they are capable of.
Knowing that SL won't be winning it, I hope SA does since it's about damn time. If that doesn't get people back into it nothing will.

kykweer.proteas

International Debutant
If they can figure out the choking issue, SA is clearly the favorites for the WC next year I feel. Amla, AB, Duminy, Kallis, Steyn, Morkel, Kock, Miller all can walk in to any team if they are playing the way they are capable of.
Knowing that SL won't be winning it, I hope SA does since it's about damn time. If that doesn't get people back into it nothing will.
The batting is okay. its the bowling attack that is the problem.

karan316

State Vice-Captain
There are 6 batsmen in most sides, but only 4 bowlers, all of whom need their workload managed and have specific roles within the side, if you are playing in conditions that warrant only one spinner and he is having an off day and is therefore unable to pull his weight then the captain has bowl his seamers in long spells and the whole attack suffers quite a bit.
The team combination is definitely a factor, but when you have 3 pacers, plus an all rounder in Matthews, its pretty easy to fit in someone like Mendis.

And talking about bowlers in general,
Most teams look to play batting allrounders or bowling allrounders if not a proper all rounder. So a lot of times teams do have 5 bowling options, its not difficult to fit some one who can change the game on its head or not contribute at all. And for a bowler, its not like if he doesn't do well he has no second chances, even if he bowls one poor spell, there's time to make a comeback. In that case its worth taking risks.

People usually try to take an easy way out when it comes to the bowling line-up, there's hardly any creativity shown. Australians never took a chance with Krejza, whose bowling was typically suited to SC pitches, he might have been a hit or miss kind of a bowler, but his attacking off spin could have been useful in these conditions. India has desperately needed a 5 bowler strategy from a long time, but it never happens, finally we took a chance with Binny who is more of a batting all rounder. Before Praveen Kumar showed that a skilled swing bowler can be useful in tests, our selectors usually didn't take chances with medium pace swing bowlers, usually the guys who could bowl somewhere around 135ks or more have got preferences.
I think this is usual, selectors and captains are very negative and defensive when it comes to taking risk with bowlers.

Last edited:

viriya

International Captain
The batting is okay. its the bowling attack that is the problem.
The conditions will suit fast bowling, and Tahir has been doing well in the shorter form anyway. SA has very good balance.. I think the onus is on players like Duminy and Miller - if SA is chasing and AB gets out, I don't have confidence in the rest of the line-up to handle pressure. If SA bat first they are much much better though.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
@karan: The main problem with your point regarding selection risks in regards to SL is that while we have 3 pace options and Herath on any given day our three pacers probably aren't solid enough to really take risks around them - they themselves can be quite hit and miss.

kykweer.proteas

International Debutant
@viriya

Miller has grown andnis showing some good consistency, but I have absolutely zero faith in Duminy.

ai dont think our bowling line up in limited overs is great. Speed but not enough smarts. Morkel would not have lasted this long in any other team. and if tsotsobe is fit they will probably drop McLaren... so selection is also baffling at times.

We treated Johan Botha like crap when he should have been made captain years ago. Thats where the decline in our ODI crickrt started. Guys like Kallis decided they want their buddies to be captain. Kallis still decides to pick himself lol its getting worse than the Ponting bonus year now.

Last edited:

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
What happened with Farveez Maharoof? I forget exactly but did the emergence of Angelo and Thisara make him too similar to be picked? His ODI record looks very decent still, and at 29, he must be near his prime. Might not be a bad idea to give him a go before the WC..
Farveez Maharoof | Cricket Players and Officials | ESPN Cricinfo
Wouldn't be the worst pick with Australian conditions in mind, probably not good enough with either the bat or ball tbh though

viriya

International Captain
@viriya

Miller has grown andnis showing some good consistency, but I have absolutely zero faith in Duminy.

ai dont think our bowling line up in limited overs is great. Speed but not enough smarts. Morkel would not have lasted this long in any other team. and if tsotsobe is fit they will probably drop McLaren... so selection is also baffling at times.
One thing I guess SA is missing is reliability in the bowling attack.. Even steyn can hit for runs on any given day.. That said not a lot of teams have that anymore.. Can't think of a clearly better ODI bowling unit..

I think AB is the right captain.. If I were the SA board I would've appointed him for tests as well with kock opening with the gloves so AB can focus on his batting.. On kallis, SA would benefit if he gets back into form and starts giving then a reliable 7-8 overs a game as well, but I'm not convinced if he'll make it anymore.

For the tests, winning the toss will be crucial for both teams no doubt - SL would want to have first dig and get SA to bat last vs Herath & co..

Last edited:

viriya

International Captain
Might be considered a less risky version of thisara.. Also if we only go with 1 spinner in those conditions he could take sena's spot.

smash84

The Tiger King
Come to think of it I can't think of any pace bowlers who are very miserly at the death like McG, Ambrose, Akram. Even Chaminda Vaas was very good at the death. What's happened to death bowling in general?