• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in New Zealand 2017

RxGM

U19 Vice-Captain
Im generally curious how this plays out in public opinion, I firmly believe that this is a bad selection now for the PR stuff, but his selection at some point in the future is inevitable. The one day lead in is a benefit for Hesson.

Howsie

International Captain
Um, why?

With the amount of wickets and runs Kuggeleijn has scored the previous two summers his selection was bound to happen. Adds a lot depth to the lower order too. Will make an excellent third seamer when Boult and Southee are back too.

RxGM

U19 Vice-Captain
Um, why?

With the amount of wickets and runs Kuggeleijn has scored the previous two summers his selection was bound to happen. Adds a lot depth to the lower order too. Will make an excellent third seamer when Boult and Southee are back too.

As a cricketer his selection is a no brainer, should of occurred months maybe years ago, if not for the rape charges, but even though he was adjudged not guilty the second time around, that doesn't equate to innocent in many peoples minds.

Long time fans will be/ have been turned off the team by his inclusion.

Binkley

U19 Captain
Im generally curious how this plays out in public opinion, I firmly believe that this is a bad selection now for the PR stuff, but his selection at some point in the future is inevitable. The one day lead in is a benefit for Hesson.
It certainly makes me pretty uncomfortable. "Not guilty", but some pretty squicky evidence was presented in the trial. His cricket seems to have improved out-of-sight in the past couple of years but if I were NZ Cricket I would have required him to undergo some sort of penance before selecting him.

Meridio

International Regular
FMD, what is it with us and playing South Africa? Ok, normally it happens when we tour, but I swear every time we've played them in the last 10 years we've had an injury crisis.

I was all excited about this test - feels like I've been waiting ages for it to start seeing as the last one only lasted three days, and I've also just moved flat and now have a big tv with Sky to watch it on - but am feeling a bit unenthused now.

Meridio

International Regular
Also, reckon we will see at least a bit of an outcry about Kuggeleijn being selected now - the general public don't care about FC and NZA etc. cricket, but selecting someone for NZ raises it to another level, and the more casual fans will become aware of it.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
From the selector's comments I doubt Kuggeleijn will play. Sounds like they're persisting with 2 frontline seamers and either 2 spinners or Colin for the 3rd test.

Blain

U19 Captain
Kuggs for Test cricket, I would have backed him for the one dayers later in the year maybe.. Seems premature with his case just finishing. TBH, there aren't any other better options. His batting is handy too.

Personally I'm not too concerned around the "PR" behind his selection. There will be outraged articles in the papers I'm sure.

Henry in for Southee, Kugg in for CDG. He offers alot more with the ball, and similar with the bat. None of this opening with a medium pacer bullsh*t. If he's in the squad, he's in the side IMO.

Neil Young

State Vice-Captain
Um, why?

Are you for real?

Mike5181

International Captain
1. Jeet Raval
2. Tom Latham
3. Kane Williamson
4. Neil Broom
5. Henry Nicholls
6. BJ Watling+
7. Mitchell Santner
8. Scott Kuggeleijn
9. Jeetan Patel
10. Matt Henry
11. Neil Wagner

Really don't think we lose much by not picking the no-rounders.

James Neesham
Collin de Grandhomme
Tim Southee [injured]
Trent Boult [injured]
Ross Taylor [injured]

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
I've already said it here, but I won't be supporting any NZ side he's a part of. I can't in good conscience cheer for anyone who behaves the way it came out that he did at his trial.

With the NZ side not performing as well as a few years ago, I think this could also lose NZ Cricket a lot of the newer fans (a lot of who seemed to be female, just from my casual observation, no evidence to back that up at all). Not good for the overall profile and financial side of things ... the wave of new support from the world cup is something they have to hold onto.

Neil Young

State Vice-Captain
I've already said it here, but I won't be supporting any NZ side he's a part of. I can't in good conscience cheer for anyone who behaves the way it came out that he did at his trial.

With the NZ side not performing as well as a few years ago, I think this could also lose NZ Cricket a lot of the newer fans (a lot of who seemed to be female, just from my casual observation, no evidence to back that up at all). Not good for the overall profile and financial side of things ... the wave of new support from the world cup is something they have to hold onto.
I'm genuinely not sure what I think. The guy was found not guilty in court and here we are judging him via a few anecdotes in the press. It doesn't sit 100% right with me either, mind, but I am not sure if that doubt is warranted or not.

veganbob

U19 Captain
No Southee and No Boult makes Tests a dull boy.

Southee is no big loss at all. He averages close to 35 in the last couple of years. He was very good for a 2-year period. Other than that, he is one of the worst regular international bowlers going around.

No issues with kuggelin. He is not guilty, anyone that doesnt watch because of that reason is an idiot imo.

veganbob

U19 Captain

And if he was not selected despite being falsely accused of rape as the only reason, then I could not support this team.

veganbob

U19 Captain
Um, why?

Will make an excellent third seamer when Boult and Southee are back too.
He will be replacing southee and maybe opening or wagner would open. Wagner is one of the best first change bowlers and our best test bowler. Infact Its fair to say WAgner is the best test bowler NZ has had since hadlee. (Bond not enough tests).

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
I'm genuinely not sure what I think. The guy was found not guilty in court and here we are judging him via a few anecdotes in the press. It doesn't sit 100% right with me either, mind, but I am not sure if that doubt is warranted or not.
Fair enough, I guess it just comes down to a pretty personal view on it for anyone, and it's not my place to try and argue with that or change anyone's mind.

Having a younger sister of a similar age to the girl in the trial certainly has an effect on my stance on things like this.