• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in New Zealand 2017

Dendarii

International Debutant
For test caps since re-admission outside of Swinger Richardson , Bouch , AB and Qdk I can think of only Tsolekile & Vilas. Others just got limited overs caps ?
It's just those six for tests. The ODI keepers were the ones you've mentioned - Boucher. Richardson, De Kock, De Villiers, Van Wyk, Palframan, Pothas, Stewart. Although there were three other players who kept in one match each.

Boeta Dippenaar: South Africa tour of India, Only ODI: India v South Africa at Mumbai, Dec 14, 1996

Gary Kirsten: Morocco Cup, 6th Match: South Africa v Sri Lanka at Tangier, Aug 19, 2002

Andrew Hall: South Africa tour of Australia, 3rd ODI: Australia v South Africa at Melbourne (Docklands), Aug 20, 2000

I remember that Hall kept because Boucher cut his hand while slicing biltong, but I've no idea about the circumstances behind the other two. Was the game in which Dippenaar kept the one where Cronje approached the team with an offer to lose the match?

Marius

International Debutant
It's just those six for tests. The ODI keepers were the ones you've mentioned - Boucher. Richardson, De Kock, De Villiers, Van Wyk, Palframan, Pothas, Stewart. Although there were three other players who kept in one match each.

Boeta Dippenaar: South Africa tour of India, Only ODI: India v South Africa at Mumbai, Dec 14, 1996

Gary Kirsten: Morocco Cup, 6th Match: South Africa v Sri Lanka at Tangier, Aug 19, 2002

Andrew Hall: South Africa tour of Australia, 3rd ODI: Australia v South Africa at Melbourne (Docklands), Aug 20, 2000

I remember that Hall kept because Boucher cut his hand while slicing biltong, but I've no idea about the circumstances behind the other two. Was the game in which Dippenaar kept the one where Cronje approached the team with an offer to lose the match?
You're right about that Kirsten one (you've got the Dippenaar and Kirsten ones mixed up) - look at our bowling attack - Cronje at first change, and four frontline spinners. I think we literally only had eleven fit guys to pick from.

Not sure why Dippenaar kept in Tangier.

I remember Kirsten kept in this game too, but I think Richardson picked up an injury while keeping. Think that might have been what kept him out of the '96 World Cup, giving Palframan a chance.

6th ODI: South Africa v England at East London, Jan 19, 1996 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

Dendarii

International Debutant
You're right about that Kirsten one (you've got the Dippenaar and Kirsten ones mixed up)
I do (too many tabs open at once). If I'd actually thought about it I would have realised that Dippenaar wouldn't have been playing for South Africa in 1996. :wallbash:

Last edited:

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah IIRC Markram, Bavuma and de Bruyn all clearly have better franchise records.
I believe Philander has a better bowling average in franchise cricket than provincial. Think it was like sub 20 for the Cobras, and it’s in the 20s for Western Province. Though I believe Philander’s FC batting average in the mid-20s is strongly owed to provincial cricket, highest score was made for Western Province where he at one time use to bat above Farhaan Behardien, and conversely, Behardien was taking the new ball in front of Philander. Strange how things turn out.

Marius

International Debutant
I believe Philander has a better bowling average in franchise cricket than provincial. Think it was like sub 20 for the Cobras, and it’s in the 20s for Western Province. Though I believe Philander’s FC batting average in the mid-20s is strongly owed to provincial cricket, highest score was made for Western Province where he at one time use to bat above Farhaan Behardien, and conversely, Behardien was taking the new ball in front of Philander. Strange how things turn out.
Interestingly, Philander's Test batting average is only slightly less than his overall FC average.

I really wish we could get the franchise stats separate from the three-day comp stats.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Last time I looked (before CricketArchive went to a paid model) Klaasen was averaging mid-30s for the Titans and average was in the high 50s for Northerns. Rudi Seconds has a far superior batting record in franchise cricket than Klaasen but Heinrich has only been around franchise cricket for less than two years.

Marius

International Debutant
Last time I looked (before CricketArchive went to a paid model) Klaasen was averaging mid-30s for the Titans and average was in the high 50s for Northerns. Rudi Seconds has a far superior batting record in franchise cricket than Klaasen but Heinrich has only been around franchise cricket for less than two years.
Not true.

Second has been around for longer than Second, that's true, but his overall franchise average is 38.6, but Klaasen's is a shade over 40.

Second has played nearly four times as many games as Klaasen though.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
As SeamUp said earlier it is Klaasens form this season that has got him an call up... Second`s higher on the table though, but don`t think he is as good a glove-man.
Domestic | Sunfoil Series | Averages | 2016/17 - SuperSport - Cricket

Interestingly enough nobody considering Miller for the Tests..... his batting has improved a great deal in the FC arena, enough that him batting 6 and QDK batting 7 could be a scary for many opposition.

Last edited:

Moss

International Vice-Captain
Just like you mentioned Miller, increasingly drawn to the idea of Munro in NZ's test side. Watling at 6 and Munro at 7 is what I'd like to see. Never been Munro's biggest fan, but can't ignore the numbers. Also saying this because none of the allrounders making a strong enough case, and Watling is often left stranded with the tail before he's in a position ro accelerate.

SeamUp

International Coach
You're right about that Kirsten one (you've got the Dippenaar and Kirsten ones mixed up) - look at our bowling attack - Cronje at first change, and four frontline spinners. I think we literally only had eleven fit guys to pick from.

Not sure why Dippenaar kept in Tangier.

I remember Kirsten kept in this game too, but I think Richardson picked up an injury while keeping. Think that might have been what kept him out of the '96 World Cup, giving Palframan a chance.

6th ODI: South Africa v England at East London, Jan 19, 1996 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo
Not ashamed to say it but I miss these random ODI tri-series and quadrangular. And Tangier (Morocco of all places). Remember the Sharjah one's.

We hosted them too but also always enjoyed the World Series in Aus between us and Kiwi's. Wasn't it Aus beat SA, SA beat NZL & NZL beat Aus.

SeamUp

International Coach

The one that may have slipped the radar. Errol Stewart. He played rugby for the Sharks also if memory serves me correct.

Just remember him as part of the Total sponsored series. Used to have those player cards at the gas stations.

Last edited:

fishyguy

U19 12th Man
Great whole test match its gonna rain. great job New Zealand. Great job. Was hoping to keep me occupied with the game and now nothin.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Great whole test match its gonna rain. great job New Zealand. Great job. Was hoping to keep me occupied with the game and now nothin.
Whole test isn't going to rain... just the last two to three days :dry:

Might end up being a match for improving averages for no result.

Last edited:

TheBrand

First Class Debutant
Just like you mentioned Miller, increasingly drawn to the idea of Munro in NZ's test side. Watling at 6 and Munro at 7 is what I'd like to see. Never been Munro's biggest fan, but can't ignore the numbers. Also saying this because none of the allrounders making a strong enough case, and Watling is often left stranded with the tail before he's in a position ro accelerate.
Munro got another ton yesterday as well... 3 for the season so far I think.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Would've liked to have thought that NZ would've learnt a lesson from subjecting Boult to long spells in the first test. Nope. Southee out injured with a minor hamstring tear.

Presumably that means it'll be Henry, Wagner and CdG headlining in the 3rd test. Urgh.