• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in New Zealand 2017

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Fair-issh I suppose, but Boult won the game. Southee would have to have snatched a pretty enormous defeat from the jaws of victory to go 15+ with Pretorius back in the shed.
Well Boult won it admittedly, but if he'd taken the catch off Santner we would have won by plenty. Santner was our best bowler today.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well Boult won it admittedly, but if he'd taken the catch off Santner we would have won by plenty. Santner was our best bowler today.
By 'Boult won it', I meant from the point of needing 21 off 12, and then conceding just 5 and dismissing the main threat.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
Seems to have been a balance problem for quite a while now. Five years ago it used to be the other way around..can remember Johan Botha coming in at number 7 in that 2011 World Cup.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
It was good of Andile Phehlukwayo to do a Michael Bevan there at the end.

He was 21 off 32 balls with only two fours before the match was virtually unwinnable.

This is going to be a great series. SA slightly more skilled team for mine but our home advantage compensates nicely.

veganbob

U19 Captain
Yeah Santner haters? Where you at?
He is turning into a fine odi bowler. Not much use as a batsman though. I'd like to see Him only play LTD overs cricket. Don't pick him in tests based on LTD overs form, he is a pretty useless test player

BeeGee

International Captain
Good series. Who makes way for Guptill? Personally, I'd drop Broom and bat Latham at 5. Gup and Brownlie would make a great opening pair and batting down the order might take a little pressure off Latham (i.e. tell him his main role is keeping wicket, not opening the batting).

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
It was good of Andile Phehlukwayo to do a Michael Bevan there at the end.

He was 21 off 32 balls with only two fours before the match was virtually unwinnable.

This is going to be a great series. SA slightly more skilled team for mine but our home advantage compensates nicely.
He initially was rotating the strike to Pretorius, but struggled against Sodhi. Good experience for the man, will probably start practicing lapping the ball now to blockhole balls... Still think our real problem is 5/6 and we need another genuine strike bowler.

Neil Young

State Vice-Captain
Good series. Who makes way for Guptill? Personally, I'd drop Broom and bat Latham at 5. Gup and Brownlie would make a great opening pair and batting down the order might take a little pressure off Latham (i.e. tell him his main role is keeping wicket, not opening the batting).
Not entirely convinced with Williamson, Taylor and Latham at 3, 4 and 5. But, yeah, Broom should make way.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
I know it would be unpopular but I wouldn't mind Henry Nicholls as keeper batsman at no 5 if Brownlie and Guptill were opening. He was very good with the bat in the Ford Trophy and won't be overawed like some of the young keepers (Blundell, Seifert, Cleaver, Phillips) might be. He's also more a no 5 than Latham.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
next #5 should be tom bruce or maybe mark chapman. both have been ridiculous at controlling the middle/end of the innings for their provinces.

Chewie

Latham's record down the order is terrible iirc, keep him at the top, if he can't handle both keeping and opening try playing Blundell rather than dropping him down the order AND getting him to keep - both of these things he has a terrible record at

Grasshopper

State Vice-Captain
Latham's record down the order is terrible iirc, keep him at the top, if he can't handle both keeping and opening try playing Blundell rather than dropping him down the order AND getting him to keep - both of these things he has a terrible record at
He regularly gets caught chipping it to square leg or just behind square.

veganbob

U19 Captain
Everyone being way too harsh on Broom. He has had a very good season in odis and I think he is one of the better rotaters of the strikes we have. He is ideal for number 5 as at 50/3 he would be ideal, plus he can score pretty quickly too when needed.

The players under real pressure for the rest of series is whoever plays out of latham / browlie ( and latham can keep so id pick him),'Neesham ( batted well today but he is not a bowling option and not good enough as a batsman alone), CDM ( needs his type of pitch to bowl well as he did today and batting still hit and miss).

Moss

And all the while Ronchi continues to be in the squad, which suggests there won't be any new keeper till the Champions Trophy is done?

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Taylor took the same amount of innings to reach 6000 runs as one Ricky Ponting. Has centuries against all full-member nations now too. Fair effort, that.

Moss

Just checked, he's played a grand total of 9 ODI's against South Africa across 10 years.

Been a particularly gun ODI player since losing the captaincy.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
SA's attack being exposed a bit without Steyn, Morkel, Abbott, Philander and Rabada.
Don't think the bowlers lost that match at all. Besides, not sure any of those bowlers are ODI guns these days are they? (except Morkel). Steyn's been getting a thumping in white-ball cricket in the last couple of years hasn't he? Saying nothing of his or Philander's last bowling hit-outs in NZ.

Morkel they are missing tbf.

veganbob

U19 Captain
Credit to NZ bowling/ Kane captaincy. This is the 3rd time in 4 odis we have defended a total majority felt was "20 to 30 " short.vs australia and south africa. Fair effort. I think Williamson has rotated bowlers well and been fairly smart ( aside from giving neesh overs, every over he bowls is a mistake).

While I miss some of mccullums agreesive captaincy, I think in odis atleasy Williamson is a better captain.