• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in New Zealand 2017

Moss

International Vice-Captain
Hesson/Larsen should be kicking themselves for not introducing a new keeper and giving him game time against Bangladesh. It now means having to choose between Latham who's having to make a role transition and Ronchi who's living on borrowed time, in all probability till the end of the Champions Trophy.

I'm actually leaning towards a non-performing Ronchi just for the remainder of this series if it'll allow Latham to freshen up for the test series. Too valuable as a test opener to be mucked about elsewhere IMO, though can understand if that still sounds better than allowing Ronchi more games.

Heboric

International Debutant
Congrats New Zealand

The Proteas cant have a bowling line up like we did today.

Whats the situation with de Lange, is he going Kolpak or staying ?

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Don't think the bowlers lost that match at all. Besides, not sure any of those bowlers are ODI guns these days are they? (except Morkel). Steyn's been getting a thumping in white-ball cricket in the last couple of years hasn't he? Saying nothing of his or Philander's last bowling hit-outs in NZ.

Morkel they are missing tbf.
Rabada and Abbott too.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
So if you agree about Brownlie coming in for Latham when Gup returns, who does the keeper come in for if not Neesham?

Also, when was this time you refer to that we could ever trust Neesh with the white ball? :p
Good point I hadn't thought of. Broom, with Neesham going up one? Jimmy will only get better with the bat. Ball, geez I dunno. He is awful, and now looking back on his career record you're right, we never could trust him.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
jimmy has no idea what kind of bowler he is at international level. Needs to follow wags example and figure out his meme mode of dismissal.

TheBrand

First Class Debutant
I think we should just groom Phillips now for the keeping/opening role. Much more explosive batsman and looks like he could be in for a destructive career if looked after right. It seems the younger that players enter the Black Caps the better they do in the long term.

My ideal XI.

Guptill
Phillips (wk)
KW
Taylor
Broom
Neesham
CdG/Anderson
Santner
Southee/Henry
McClenaghan
Boult

Athlai

Not Terrible
Unsure about all the Broom love. Really don't think we'll get a lot more out of him than what we did this summer.

veganbob

U19 Captain
I think we should just groom Phillips now for the keeping/opening role. Much more explosive batsman and looks like he could be in for a destructive career if looked after right. It seems the younger that players enter the Black Caps the better they do in the long term.

My ideal XI.

Guptill
Phillips (wk)
KW
Taylor
Broom
Neesham
CdG/Anderson
Santner
Southee/Henry
McClenaghan
Boult
Know nothing about Phillips but I agree about most of your points. Also Id pick Anderson ahead of neesham.

Sodhi has to be a choice in turning/slow conditions too.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Know nothing about Phillips but I agree about most of your points. Also Id pick Anderson ahead of neesham.

Sodhi has to be a choice in turning/slow conditions too.
Why the Neesham hate? He's been averaging close to 50 this season, and he's done it predominantly against very good bowling attacks.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Why the Neesham hate? He's been averaging close to 50 this season, and he's done it predominantly against very good bowling attacks.
Yeah, I had my doubts initially but he's proven me wrong. Hope he carries on with it.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Yes, and in contrast Anderson's meagre ODI average of 29.9 is largely from runs at home against West Indies and Sri Lanka - he hasn't done anything of note against Australia, SA, England, India or Pakistan.

That's not to say he shouldn't be in the side, but in my mind once he's bowling again he's competing more against CDG for the biffing bits and pieces role.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
You really are overrating jimmys batting. Both brom and anderson are better batsmen than him.
You might well be right, but...Broom is a 5, Jimmy is a 6 and Anderson is injured/can't bowl and affects the balance of the side. So there's no particular relevancy in the argument.

The wicketkeeping issue is really creating headaches. Glenn P isn't ready against good attacks, he couldn't go to the CT and score runs. Give Latham until the end of the series, if he's still woeful then Ronchi plays at the CT with the hope he might get a few away at the death and not either a) have us one for spit or 2) clog the run rate. Then Blundell has to take over going forward.

Niall

International Coach
That random bloke who played the fifth ODI in England a few years ago, will the world ever see him again?

Bijed

International Regular
That random bloke who played the fifth ODI in England a few years ago, will the world ever see him again?

Andrew Mathieson?

He didn't do very well at all, but it always feels wrong to give someone just one chance. That said, it's been long enough that a recall would be stranger unless he's doing particularly well in domestic matches