• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in New Zealand 2012

lockton2skipper

U19 Debutant
flynn in for nichol and southee out ,possible replacements gillespie, mckay or mcClenaghan, all those surely would contribute more than southee. please no franklin ellis or arnel.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Cricket | Tim Southee pays hefty price for sluggish... | Stuff.co.nz

Had to happen. Would have to say that's a failing on Damien Wright's behalf, given Southee was 12th man in the World Cup XI, bowled beautifully and is now having technical dramas. I know it's a different coloured ball but actions are actions.

I'm going to wager it's a green it up approach with Arnel back on his home turf.

They should bite the bullet and move Nicol to 5 - or replace him with Flynn - but it won't happen.

Howe_zat

Audio File
If Southee's to be dropped it should likely be for another batsman, or at least an allrounder. The balance of the side just doesn't make sense right now otherwise. Vettori may not be the sort of frontline bowler who'll run through your side but at the very least you can rely on him to get through plenty of overs. Adding a fourth, rather average seamer just to take some of those overs off him is unnecessary and fails to address the bigger problem in the NZ side, which as ever is the brittle top order.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Blistering bright sunshine this morning. If only the test had started Thursday like most tests do...

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Wow, all the talk about dropping Southee but somehow I didn't expect it to actually happen. I hope he does sort his action out in domestics as promised.

Arnel... sigh. Just pick James Franklin already...

Mixmasterreece

U19 Debutant
Ross Taylor - Central Stags
Brent Arnel - Northern Knights
Trent Boult - Northern Knights
Doug Bracewell - Central Stags
Andrew Ellis - Canterbury Wizards
Mark Gillespie - Wellington Firebirds
Martin Guptill - Auckland Aces
Chris Martin - Auckland Aces
Brendon McCullum - Otago Volts
Tarun Nethula - Central Stags
Rob Nicol - Canterbury Wizards
Kruger Van Wyk - Central Stags
Daniel Vettori - Northern Knights
Kane Williamson - Northern Knights

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Fourteen players and still only seven options for the top seven, one of which is Nicol, meaning he can't be dropped. Did the selectors really need to bring Gillespie and Nethula into the squad for Southee when it was already carrying bowling spare parts?

Howsie

International Captain
****ing hell. Good to see we didn't bring in another batsmen after the debacle that was Rob Nicol. Bringing in two bowlers instread makes perfect sense 8-)

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
****ing hell. Good to see we didn't bring in another batsmen after the debacle that was Rob Nicol. Bringing in two bowlers instread makes perfect sense 8-)
Would still argue that Gillespie's more likely to take wickets right now than Southee, just because of form more than anything, but yeah - some odd squad changes there.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Didn't think they'd prick Nicol's balloon after inflating it very gently since October, also kind of expected them to hesitate digging up McCullum and replanting him again.

Highly unlikely Flynn will suddenly petition Grant Bradburn to put a line through 2. Yovich, but you'd figure he probably should if he's truly keen to be in the 3rd Test frame.

Last edited:

ch00baka

School Boy/Girl Captain
Gillespie > Arnel, and Southee's current form, for mine.
Would personally much rather he got a run than Nethula, who I feel is overhyped because he's a wrist spinner.

Sadly, I think Arnel will get the nod and end up with a return of 1-150 off 40-50 overs for the match, if that.

ch00baka

School Boy/Girl Captain
Also think Nicol deserves a decent chance. He showed some grit in the 2nd dig in the face of some hostile bowling and was unlucky to slam a full bunger straight down mid on's throat.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
can't be bothered to find the thread so just post it in here - Ronchi is gonna play for the Wellington Firebirds and is thinking of flying over for the rest of the season, however long that is.

Flem274*

123/5
Fourteen players and still only seven options for the top seven, one of which is Nicol, meaning he can't be dropped. Did the selectors really need to bring Gillespie and Nethula into the squad for Southee when it was already carrying bowling spare parts?
Gillespie's french cuts > Nicol's whatevers.:ph34r:

Briony

International Debutant
Southee really has had a fall from grace. I recall him over here being quite dangerous when conditions were conducive. He looked promising with the bat early doors too. Perhaps a bit of hubris and overhype.

Mike5181

International Captain
Gillespie > Arnel, and Southee's current form, for mine.
Would personally much rather he got a run than Nethula, who I feel is overhyped because he's a wrist spinner.

Sadly, I think Arnel will get the nod and end up with a return of 1-150 off 40-50 overs for the match, if that.
Yeah, exactly. I named Gillespie in my ideal eleven for the second test but I'm still a little surprised they went through with dropping Southee. Gillespie should be playing ahead of Arnel, Ellis and Nethula. He's more likely to be effective and he actully did reasonably well against South Africa a few years back.

Little bit surprised Flynn didn't get a spot over one of Ellis, Arnel and Nethula. You'd think extra batting strength would be a good idea especially with Nicol still in the team.

Last edited: