• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* South Africa in Ireland 2021 (white ball)

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Then you just have to accept the fact that like India in tests, you will be 7 out and all out a lot of times. :)
Thats happening anyway... Rabada, Nortje, Ngidi, Shamsi is a helluva long tail. At least playing Linde and Maharaj makes it moderately better.

Bahseph

State Captain
Hmm some very interesting points. I think that Markram has been given a long rope in ODIs. He does well in Tests when he gets in because he is such a lovely timer of the ball. And in T20s he knows he has to attack so he plays well there. I think he has a mental block in ODIs,he does not know what tempo to go at.

Phelukwayo is serviceable at the depth and in the middle. I think he has earned some credit with the ball. But he can't be our 7. Especially if Linde is not playing(and he hasn't played ODIs). There is no indication that he can score runs consistently. Even in domestic games.

I'd have Mulder in the team. But I honestly don't see how you structure that lower order. Rabada is a must. But Maharaj and Shamsi haven't set the world on fire in ODIs.

7. Mulder/Phelukwayo
8. Linde
9. Maharaj
10. Rabada
11. Shamsi

Seems too reliant on spin and Linde opening the bowling.

7. Mulder/Phelukwayo
8. Linde
9. Rabada
10. Nortje/Ngidi
11. Shamsi

Maharaj loses out because Linde is a better batsman. In my mind only Rabada is a lock.

*Edit: Not Nortje/Nortje

Last edited:

Dendarii

International Debutant
Hmm some very interesting points. I think that Markram has been given a long rope in ODIs. He does well in Tests when he gets in because he is such a lovely timer of the ball. And in T20s he knows he has to attack so he plays well there. I think he has a mental block in ODIs,he does not know what tempo to go at.
And yet his domestic record is so good. For all List A matches he averages 43 with a strike rate of 98, and those figures are even better if you take out ODIs. So he knows how to bat in this format, but for some reason can't do it in internationals.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
For Markram, I think the indecision and problems in the SA batting line-up is causing him not to just play naturally. For the strong batting lineup of the Titans he has a role and he plays to it.

Bahseph

State Captain
What happens when QDK returns? Because Malan has been putting on the runs whenever he plays. Dropping Markram seems unthinkable from a talent point of view but might just be what happens.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
What happens when QDK returns? Because Malan has been putting on the runs whenever he plays. Dropping Markram seems unthinkable from a talent point of view but might just be what happens.
Drop Verreynne, put Markram at 3. Only because dropping Miller when we have no big hitters is even more unthinkable.

Heboric

International Debutant
I blame the Aussies :lol: It was that innings in Durban that put everyones hopes up for Andiles batting

anil1405

International Captain
Surprised that Miller isn't playing today. Verrreynne and Klaasen at 5 and 6 doesn't look convincing but I guess they wanted to experiment this game.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Surprised that Miller isn't playing today. Verrreynne and Klaasen at 5 and 6 doesn't look convincing but I guess they wanted to experiment this game.
Miller has been poor, so gives Verrreynne and Klaasen a chance to fight out the position maybe? But it all comes to naught because neither are likely to get much opportunity.

cnerd123

likes this
Good innings from Simi Singh there. Pitch seemed pretty flat. Batted well tho.

SA will be pleased with that. Comfortable win + plenty of IGT.

paranoidandroid

Cricket Spectator
What an opening partnership. Was the pitch a road or was it exceptional batting?
Pitch was an absolute road. Keshav Maharaj's first few overs won the game for the Saffers. Ireland chased 329 against England last year, but it took twin tons from Stirling and Balbirnie. Once they were out, it was more or less game over. Still nice work from Ireland to make 275 though, it shows they're not just a two-man batting lineup.